I need a reply to this comment I keep getting

Options

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'd wait til she gains it all back and then everytime you lose another pound tell her. Nobody likes the taste of their own medicine.
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Why don't you say "that's great, although I don't think your diet is precisely healthy and in the long run it wil backfire on you" and see what she says.. if she says... "yes, but I'm losing the lbs quicker", then you say, ¿why don't we make a bet?. How much do you weigh now?. Let's write it down, and next year we'll weigh ourselves again, and see who has lost more with each diet". If you win I'll try yours next year, and the other way round". Well, that's if you're sure she's unable to keep it for a year!:D
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    I have a friend who is super competitive and since I started eating healthier and working out, I guess she had to try and "do better" than me (knowing that while it's coming off slowly, it's still a lot of work).

Yesterday she tells me "oh I just started low carbing again and I've already lost seven pounds! I lost four in the first two days!" I said "oh that's good" and just changed the subject because I found it pretty insensitive to tell someone that, knowing they've been working really hard. Especially when I'm doing it the right way...not by eating string cheese and pepperoni and bunless burgers.

I just know it's going to come up again, especially since today her facebook status was "8 down already!!!" Grrrr. She does low carb at least once a year, loses twenty pounds, loses interest, and gains it all back. I kind of want to remind her of that but don't want to be rude. Any suggestions on how to put her in her place? Hehehe.

I'd just congratulate her on the success she's experiencing and let it go. Different strokes for different folks! The yo-yo diet doesn't work for you, but she doesn't mind it. Let her do her thing and you do yours.

Well said!!! :drinker:
  • Jessika_witha_k
    Options
    She is obviously just jealous of you so she is seeking reasons to compete. Just ignore her. You keep doing the things you are doing and when you lose X amount of weight and DONT gain it back and next year she's "low carbing" again...

You'll have the last laugh. ;-)
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it. Why do you need a comeback? It actually has nothing to do with you. It's her journey. Just leave her to it. If she asks for your advice, give it gently, but if not, just congratulate her on her losses and leave it at that.

This!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i am not good at confrontation at all, not even in tiny amounts. if i had the nerve, what i would *like* to say is, "it really makes me feel as if you've started a competition between us with weight loss and health issues. can you please not mention anything about it to me anymore? i'm happy for your success, but i'm working really hard and the weight doesn't just 'fall off' like it seems to with you."

in the real world, what i would probably say is, "that's great!" and then sulk to my husband that night about how she isn't truly my friend or she wouldn't do that. LOL :smile:
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're a better friend than I am! I would absolutely say, "Well, maybe you can lose more than 20 pounds this time!"

Low carb diets are extremely difficult to maintain, and I applaud anybody that could actually reach their goal on the diet and remain at that weight once they are officially off of the diet!

She will realize that if she wants to actually get where she wants to be she needs to make a complete life style change and focus on HERSELF and not your weightloss and YOUR goals! I am very fortunate to have many people in my life that are appreciative and supportive of my weightloss, and I'm sorry that your poopy friend is treating this as a competition, when it clearly is not!
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to put her in her place? Hehehe.

I don't understand... because she's rude you want to put her in her place? Doesn't this fall under "two wrongs don't make a right" or am I missing something?

If she's losing weight just congratulate her and move on....?

Is there something more to this I'm not getting?

She's obviously doing this for attention. Don't Give Her Attention. Coming up witty remarks is giving her more attention than she deserves. Deflate her ego by saying "Wow that's great congrats!" She'll quickly see you don't care and stop dieting and gain it all back :-D
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I find headbutting useful? Lol, sorry, I have a friend like this so I know how you feel. To be honest I found them too toxic to be around and withdrew from them.
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS

I do not suffer fools for long.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it. Why do you need a comeback? It actually has nothing to do with you. It's her journey. Just leave her to it. If she asks for your advice, give it gently, but if not, just congratulate her on her losses and leave it at that.

This!

Exactly! Jealous is really unbecoming.
  • missikay1970
    Options

I don't understand... because she's rude you want to put her in her place? Doesn't this fall under "two wrongs don't make a right" or am I missing something?

you're not a girl...so you wouldn't get it. she's trying to find a nice way to be a b***h. :smile:
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you are doing it the right way, then the only "comeback" you need will be your ability to keep the weight off come 6 months from now when shes gotten bored of her low carb diet and is putting all the weight back on again.

Just brush it off for now. Be the bigger person.

THIS!!!
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I find headbutting useful? Lol, sorry, I have a friend like this so I know how you feel. To be honest I found them too toxic to be around and withdrew from them.

^This! if she is bothering you that much you don't need her as a friend. She is an "extra" as I would call it. Or keep communication with her to a minimum.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

This!

Exactly! Jealous is really unbecoming.
    jealousy.jpg
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a repeat, I didn't read through all of the responses. I do low carb myself as a. it works for me and b. I have Celiac's Disease and cannot eat most carbs. That said, this is not a DIET, it is a lifestyle. She will forever be yoyoing or on the roller coaster of diets if she thinks she's just going to eat like that to lose the weight and then go back to her "normal."

If I were you I'd say "well I'm changing my lifestyle and not on a diet" when she says something snarky to you. Good luck and don't let her bad attitude toward you bring you down!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like that. I just let her do her thing and I continue to lose weight as she yo-yo's all over the place. :)
  • loseweightjames
    Options

you're not a girl...so you wouldn't get it. she's trying to find a nice way to be a b***h. :smile:

You know, I almost went there, but I didn't want to say "must be a girl thing" since that would be sexist.

Ok now I understand that I am not suppose to understand, thank you for clearing it up :)
  • netztoy
    netztoy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great advice already...Let her do what she do and you continue to do a lifestyle change. The temporary "diets" don't work. I would wean myself away from the negativity, her behavior is unhealthy. Good luck on your weight loss journey :smile:
  • missikay1970
    Options

You know, I almost went there, but I didn't want to say "must be a girl thing" since that would be sexist.

Ok now I understand that I am not suppose to understand, thank you for clearing it up :)

:wink:
  • Makethefatcry12
    Makethefatcry12 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you are doing it the right way, then the only "comeback" you need will be your ability to keep the weight off come 6 months from now when shes gotten bored of her low carb diet and is putting all the weight back on again.

Just brush it off for now. Be the bigger person.

Completely agree!