camping food suggestions, please!

Options
tvfit
tvfit Posts: 56 Member
So we're headed out camping next weekend and I need to make sure healthy foods are well represented in the cooler and on the campstove! Has anyone done this? Please help! I'm thinking salad (high volume in the cooler!), carrots & hummus, baked chips & salsa, grilled eggplant & more veggies. No s'mores for me!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    you can take ground turkey to cook up, for burgers, or chilli or something, nuts a trail mix type mix, granola, carrots!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Amazing Omlette in a Bag

In a ziplock sandwich bag, put enough of your favourite omelette fillings for 1 serving: onion, veggies, chopped ham, cheese, salsa, etc. Add 2 raw eggs. Zip the bag and shake to mix thoroughly.

Drop bag in boiling water and cook for about 13 minutes. Open the bag and out slides your omelette. Can be eaten directly from the bag so there is no washing up!
  • tvfit
    Options
    wow, that's cool. I might try that at home!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    3 Bean salad is a good choice, too. And oatmeal. Have fun! That sounds great.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruit and veggies, and even some soups are a filling, easy to store solution. We love to camp and I am a pescatarian so I wind up eating eggs for breakfast with some fruit, a tuna sandwich and a low fat string cheese for lunch, and some soup and raw veggies for dinner. These could also be cooked on the camp stove in foil, of course. That's the good thing about camping, most of the things we should eat all the time (whole fruits and veggies) are among the easiest to pack, require no refrigeration, and no cooking or cleaning up. Have a good time on your trip! :happy:
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Get sirloin tip, cut up in chunks, throw some squash,onion,mushrooms, etc on skewers and put on the pit, delish!!!
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Take a long hike so you can have a s'more!! Actually 1 s'more is only 139 calories, so it's really not that bad. :wink:
  • tvfit
    Options
    Okay, I can totally see my kids digging kebabs! And I will get all their veggies since they only eat broccoli and green beans!

Thanks for all the ideas!
  • tvfit
    Options
    on the s'more suggestion - I can't stand the taste of marshmallows - except the fancy ones they used to have :-( at Trader Joe's. But I will take that hike and have a glass of wine once the kids are in their sleeping bags!
  • candy76
    candy76 Posts: 15
    Options
    Morning star makes really good veggie dogs
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So we're headed out camping next weekend and I need to make sure healthy foods are well represented in the cooler and on the campstove! Has anyone done this? Please help! I'm thinking salad (high volume in the cooler!), carrots & hummus, baked chips & salsa, grilled eggplant & more veggies. No s'mores for me!! Thanks in advance!
    We are going camping in 2 weeks. I am taking boneless chicken breast, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers and spices. Double fold aluminum foil to make a pocket put in your favorite seasoings and spices along with chicken and you favorite vegies, seal well and put on fire, turn after about 10 mins, cook 10 mins, longer. Be careful when opening and enjoy. You can also do this with lean beef and fish.
  • megbar1979
    megbar1979 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    We take turkey, low fat cheese, bread for sandwiches for lunch. Fruits and veggies. Kashi granola bars for breakfast, marinated chicken breast thrown on the grill for dinner with veggies or salad on the side.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    How about turkey smoked sausage or turkey hot dogs?

Also, veggie packets:

Cut up zucchini, squash, mushrooms, onion, worcesterchire sauce, Tony Chacheres creole seasoning and mix all together in a bowl. Take aluminum foil (enough for each person to have their own packet) and place veggies on foil, add a dab of butter (if you want butter), seal up the foil and grill.

210557.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rabbit45
    rabbit45 Posts: 36
    Options
    Salmon filets brushed with EVOO and your favorite seasoning on top tin foil (fold up the sides to make a "boat") over the campfire/campstove. YUM! Cook until flakes easily with a fork.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    We are going camping in 2 weeks. I am taking boneless chicken breast, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers and spices. Double fold aluminum foil to make a pocket put in your favorite seasoings and spices along with chicken and you favorite vegies, seal well and put on fire, turn after about 10 mins, cook 10 mins, longer. Be careful when opening and enjoy. You can also do this with lean beef and fish.

This also works with hunks of beef, tofu, potatoes, etc. I reccomend you put in an ice cube along with everything to keep it cold until you're ready to use. Make sure you have the foil pretty well waterproof by folding the packet's edges over a few times. The moisture inside will keep the meat moist and it'll also help the veggies and potatoes absorb the seasonings and meat juices. This is especially important for tofu.

Tastes soo good to have a fresh hot "meat and potatoes" homestyle meal out in the middle of the woods. :)
  • tvfit
    Options
    Thanks to all of you experienced campers! What wonderful suggestions. I might have to stay longer just to try more of this out!!