Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I've neve owned a heart rate monitor and I'm really serious about losing weight this time, can anyone recommend a good one to buy? Thanks a bunch. :happy:

Replies

• JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I did some serious research and consulted with my MFP friends that have them.

I didn't want anything over the top or swanky....just something to tell me heart rate, cals burned, time and what not

I settled for the Polar FT4 and absolutely love it....I would recommend that whichever one you get has a chest strap as those provide the most accurate readings...or so I've been told.

I'm totally hooked on mine and can't imagine working out without it now.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and got it for $62 from bodytronics.com and I LOVE it!
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    I thought about it but didnt want to invest in one yet so im using an app on my smart phone to get a general idea!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F4, which I think was replaced with the FT4. I've had it for going on 4 years now and it hasn't let me down yet!

Edited to say I wouldn't trust anything that isn't attached to my body, taking a constant reading of my heart rate, to give me close to accurate results. Even the Polar isn't going to be 100%, but it's supposed to be pretty close.
  • Michelle333
    Michelle333 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just purchased the Polar FT4, can't wait to try it out. Had the FT1 but it doesn't register calories.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    RS300X if functionality and accuracy is more important than aesthetics to you... more accurate, built in fit test, better features, less expensive, better guide of improving fitness/calories burned etc.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and got it for $62 from bodytronics.com and I LOVE it!

This :)
  • MonicaLee1982
    MonicaLee1982 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4, and I LOVE it so far. I've had it almost a month. :-)
  • sweetangel99
    Options
    Thanks everyone, where can I buy this Polar FT4 and does it come with a chest strap?
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 that I bought a couple years ago for my runs, it has a HRM with it and I now just bought a Polar FT60, which should be arriving next week! :)
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 love it now but at first it was depressing to see how over exaggerated the equipment's calorie count and even MFP's calorie counts are. :explode: When I thought I was burning 500 to 700 it was really only around 300 calories. Truth hurts but it is good to know, I guess.:grumble:
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F4, which I think was replaced with the FT4. I've had it for going on 4 years now and it hasn't let me down yet!

Edited to say I wouldn't trust anything that isn't attached to my body, taking a constant reading of my heart rate, to give me close to accurate results. Even the Polar isn't going to be 100%, but it's supposed to be pretty close.

I agree. I have faith in the chest strap/monitor as being most accurate. I have a Polar FT something also but not sure what number. i think it's the next one up from the 4....but i think the only difference is that mine can plug in to the computer to record ststs on their website. I never use that function so...I should have spent less....lol.
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've got an FT7 ... learned today it doesn't work well in my gym's pool. All the machines automatically pick the HRM signal up, but it's not necessary since the watch part tracks it all itself. One feature on the FT7 I thought I'd like was that it tells me how much of my work out was in the cardio and how much was fat burn. I thought I'd care....but after a month of using it, ..I don't really care for the differentiation. I think the FT4 lacks this feature. ..so for me.. FT4 would have been enough.
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline Heart rate monitor it also comes with a chest strap. I love it. You can count your calorie burn, plug in your target heart rate ranges and it beeps when you are out of that range. It also has a mode for fat burn and a countdown timer ect. You can use the chest strap for when you run or walk outside and it will automatically check your heart rate. My cousin told me to get one she has lost 70lbs using a heart rate monitor to keep her on track. I bought mine at Target it was under 45 bucks. They can be pricey but just check stores like Target, Walmart, ****'s sporting goods, and online to see what are the best deals for what you want and can afford. The sportline website is: www.sportline.com Good Luck!
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    I have the New Balance N4. It's basic but suits my needs well. Target had it for under $50 a while ago.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, where can I buy this Polar FT4 and does it come with a chest strap?

Heartratemonitorsusa.com has them, probably Amazon or eBay, too, I would guess. I think Best Buy had some there, now that I think of it. I know they're cheaper now than when I bought mine. Heartratemonitorsusa used to have a 10% discount code, "GALAXY". Not sure if it still works. It does have a chest strap. But if you're working out in a gym, you'll want to get a model that's coded. I used the gym at a resort I stayed at on vacation, and the guy on the elliptical next to me couldn't figure out why our heart rates were the same. Oops! :blushing: Normally I work out at home, so it's not a problem.
  • sweetangel99
    Options
    How do I know if one is coded or not, because I will want to use it in the gym and at home?
  • escher83
    Options
    I got an FT7 about a month ago. I love it. :smile:
    I love that the gym equipment picks up my heart rate and that I can track my workouts.
  • lruthruff
    lruthruff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use the suunto M5 and love it. It is a bit pricey but I'm glad I spent the extra money I am able to track and save my workouts online as they download from the watch on to the computer. The best thing to do is just research them on the internet to find the best one to fit your needs
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 love it now but at first it was depressing to see how over exaggerated the equipment's calorie count and even MFP's calorie counts are. :explode: When I thought I was burning 500 to 700 it was really only around 300 calories. Truth hurts but it is good to know, I guess.:grumble:

I have this one too, so far so good, it came with strap, at first I thought it would come with the computer application and all that, it doesn't, you have to buy something different for that, but it does the job of counting calories, you can pause it, then back to it, I wear it most days, from cooking to walking, just to have a general idea of how much each activity burns, however depending on the day I burn loads more or less doing exactly the same thing, but yes, it's good for not overestimate calories burnt! :D