Help w/ Calorie Burn and 30DS!

Options
Hello!! I was wondering if anyone doing the 30 DS with a HRM could help me with the Calories burned. I log it under "circuit training, general" for 20 minutes and it says that I burn 230 calories.

I would normally not worry too much about all of that except that I have been feeling particulary exhuasted lately. I eat well and drink nothing but water. I've gone over my diet several times and all of my numbers seem to be in order. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I'm burning more calories than that and I need to consume more to offset it.

I am 5'3", 188 lbs if that helps anyone with giving me numbers. I carry my weight fairly well, as I have always had a muscular frame.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• sm26davis
    sm26davis Posts: 52
    Options
    When I did it yesterday I had burned 400 calories with a HRM.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started the 30 DS. This work out kicks butt! I felt tired but it gets better. Are you taking vitamins? I find that helps
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. Although I've not thought about entering it as "circuit training". Good idea.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started the 30 DS. This work out kicks butt! I felt tired but it gets better. Are you taking vitamins? I find that helps

I do take vitamins. All are OTC right now, but the next time that I see my Dr. I'm planning on asking for a prescription Multi-Vitamin.

I just did Level 2 Day 2 today, if that means anything. I did 10 days at Level 1, but not every single day. I take 1-2 days off a week, never consecutive. :( I'm not going to give up, since making excuses got me to the size I am today, but it can't be frustrating!
  • Nelly711
    Nelly711 Posts: 52
    Options
    When I was doing the 30DS I was burning around 380-400 calories per my HRM. I was (5'5" and 168 lbs). I would say that 350-400 would be a good number to base it off of. If everything else is checking out good, then you could just need more calories.

Keep up the good work!!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I am also 5' 3" tall and I weigh 160 pounds and on level 1 according to my hrm I burned about 180 calories. On level 2 about 225 calories. I haven't done level 3 yet but would assume I would burn about 250. It is a very hard workout and I sweat alot but the heart rate is up and down so it doesn't burn as much as you might think and remember that it is only a 20 minute workout so I think what I burn is great. At 180 pounds I would guess you may burn a little more but I wouldn't think much more maybe 25 calories.
  • Jenni268
    Options
    I guess I'm just paranoid about overestimating since I don't want to eat so much that it's counter-productive. But some days after I partially eat back some of the 230, I'm only getting to about 1300 calories. If I'm burning up to 400 calories then I'm acutally coming in under 1200 and I don't think that's healthy for me.

I know that I REALLY need to get a HRM, but they're just so darn expensive (and I'm a cheapskate!) And I'm not going to waste money on a piece of junk one that's inaccurate!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    You should eat back the entire 230 calories and see if that helps you.
  • msbuchanan
    Options
    If you get a HRM, spend the extra money for one with a chest strap...I had the cheap one, where you press your finger on the button and it was registering around 400 calories burned on 30 DS...however I finally caved and got a Polar F4, has the chest strap. I love it! The only downside, I only burn like 230 calories on 30 DS! But i know it's more accurate since it is continually monitoring my heart rate, rather than having to stop to push the button. Google coupons for your local stores! I had a $15 off coupon and then there was a $10 rebate on it, so that helped me go for the splurge :) The chest strap is not bothersome either, I'll wear it while cleaning the house just to see how many I burn:) I am addicted to see what I burn on different activities!
  • Jenni268
    Options
    If you get a HRM, spend the extra money for one with a chest strap...I had the cheap one, where you press your finger on the button and it was registering around 400 calories burned on 30 DS...however I finally caved and got a Polar F4, has the chest strap. I love it! The only downside, I only burn like 230 calories on 30 DS! But i know it's more accurate since it is continually monitoring my heart rate, rather than having to stop to push the button. Google coupons for your local stores! I had a $15 off coupon and then there was a $10 rebate on it, so that helped me go for the splurge :) The chest strap is not bothersome either, I'll wear it while cleaning the house just to see how many I burn:) I am addicted to see what I burn on different activities!

The only place I have found Polar HRMs are online. Do any stores carry that brand? I've heard a lot of good things about the F4.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just paranoid about overestimating since I don't want to eat so much that it's counter-productive. But some days after I partially eat back some of the 230, I'm only getting to about 1300 calories. If I'm burning up to 400 calories then I'm acutally coming in under 1200 and I don't think that's healthy for me.

I know that I REALLY need to get a HRM, but they're just so darn expensive (and I'm a cheapskate!) And I'm not going to waste money on a piece of junk one that's inaccurate!

When I did it, I split it up- it's got 2 minutes of warm up/cool down, so I didn't count that, and since it has 3 min of strength, 2 min of cardio & 1 min of abs in each of the 3 segments, I put it in as 9 min strength, 6 min of aerobics & 3 minutes of calisthenics. Comes out to not a tremendous amount of calories, but I figure I'd rather underestimate my calorie burn so I'm not gaining. Good luck!
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same size as you and am also doing level 2 of the shred. I only burn about 170 according to my HRM. So I don't think you are logging to little. I am also feeling very sluggish the last couple days. I think it's just my body getting used to the new moves. I find level 2 to be very difficult and I am having a hard time keeping up. If i could keep up I would probably burn around 230.
  • Jenni268
    Options
    I'll probably just try eating ALL of my exercise calories back until I can get an HRM. That seems to be the best thing I could do. I'll say this, though, 30DS KILLS me! :) I can get through most of it, but my face is SO red when I'm done and it stays that way for about an hour afterwards! Even after my shower!!! :embarassed:
  • Bsnell10
    Options
    so new at this... ok help i just bought a Timex zone trainer HRM with chest strap so i could get a better idea of what i am burning when i excerise. I currently weight 149 , 28 , f, 5' 6... is it really possible for me to burn 348 calories from warm up to cool down on 30 DS doing level 1? or is my HRM off...i always went by what other people said they were burning for a 150 pound person in the range from 150-180 so is it really possible that is almost doubled? I also do zumba toning and since that was the class i did today i remember the calorie burn was 913 i am one of the hardest working (and youngest) in the class so i am thinking that that number is pretty close on days that i do toning with the 2.5 pounds sticks... thanks for your help