Help....tracking homemade food.

Options
How do you track homemade food? Tonight I made salmon patties and added all of the calories in each item in the recipe, and then divided that by amount # of :smooched: patties I made. I would like to be able to add this into my dinner, but don't know how.

Replies

• Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much of a pain in the butt it is, I will sometimes add each ingredient individually. But of it'd be some sort of long process, I just use the quick add. That won't tell you nutrients tho.
  • robinrene
    Options
    I am new....what is the quick add?
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Click on the food tab at the top of the page.
    Then click on the Recipes sub-tab.
    You can enter all the ingredients and tell how many servings.
    it calculates all the info for you.
    Later when you add foods, you can add directly from that.
  • robinrene
    Options
    Thanks. Do you know what the quick add is?
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I try to,yeah, add individual calories if I can, or I'll just add together the ingredients and estimate all of the stuff and either quick add or if its a meal im likely to have again I'll add in the meal
  • robinrene
    Options
    This is awesome Thank youThank you !!!! I found the quick add duuuuuhhh... yay! Been on the MFP for almost a week and I love it. I am staying motivated so far. :0)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Click on the food tab at the top of the page.
    Then click on the Recipes sub-tab.
    You can enter all the ingredients and tell how many servings.
    it calculates all the info for you.
    Later when you add foods, you can add directly from that.
    ^this
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am new....what is the quick add?

After selecting which meal you want to add to, next to the search bar on the right, there is a small quick add link (it's blue). It adds only calories. Hope this helps!
  • carlarcapasso
    Options
    Add all of the ingredients, it is so worth it in the long run. It saves the recipe and you know how healthy each meal actually is. I hate processed food and love that I finally have an easy way to track it
  • robinrene
    Options
    thank you!
  • AutieBell
    AutieBell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is an option to make your own recipes. Figure the amount of servings in that recipe and then the computer will configure what is in said recipe and you can use just log it that way. I do my chili that way.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You miss your macro (carb/protein/fat) numbers with quick add.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I always make a recipe and divide it by servings.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    There is an option to make your own recipes. Figure the amount of servings in that recipe and then the computer will configure what is in said recipe and you can use just log it that way. I do my chili that way.
    Yep. Build your recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box

When you log in your food diary, hit Add Food to the meal you want to log. Then, choose the Recipes tab. Shazam!
  • amaryllisholloway
    Options
    I also use this website sometimes
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp