Do you tan?

Options
Kind of off topic for this board but no board really seemed appropriate for this.

But just curious, do any of you tan? Naturally? Tanning beds? Spray tans? I am pretty pasty pale and I'm considering doing something about it when I get closer to goal. Not all Jersey Shore style or anything, but a little bit of sun. There's no way I could tan naturally or in a tanning bed without a good amount of sunscreen to avoid burning. So if you do it, what's your preferred method and why?

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Sure I get a wonderful tan...its a very rosy red with some peeling and pain..

That's normal right?

Just kidding.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just started for the first time in my life......if you have very sensitive skin, my advice NOT to use any tanning accelerant (sp). I have hives all over my waist up to my neck........ridiculous!! From now on I am not using that crap.....i'll use a small SPF tanning lotion!
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    I don't set out to "tan" exactly, but I'm living in Hawaii at the moment and I REALLY like the beach. Getting tan just sort of happens. :smile:
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes, I tan. Regularly. Off and on.
  • rebeccaME207
    rebeccaME207 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do, Medium tinted spray tan!! Versa! Id recomend the light spray for 1st time user!! I love it!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No, no and no....
    I get enough sun just going outdoors and am dark all year round.
    Italian:glasses:
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I look forward to getting a good semi-all-over natural tan again. I tan beautifully when I do and I used to be tan year round when I was little (probably up until about fourth grade) before I started gaining weight. Pools and lakes and rivers and swim suits I'm coming! I think the reason I tan so well is the good amount of Native American blood I have in me, lol.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the sun! But, I could sit in the sun alll day and the only color I would turn is red! My skin doesn't tan, at all! :P
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    i do mystic tan when i tan, but that's not very often
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I dont now, but i used too, and when i started i would only go for 5 minutes, then i added 2 minutes each time till i had a base tan, then i would go for the 15 minutes a couple times a week to maintain. But spray tans are much better for you, but kinda pricey, just dont go orange...:laugh:
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My tan lines are something I am really proud of this summer because they show how much I have been outside exercising! But I do use sunscreen because skin cancer is a major concern here in Australia.

My next challenge is how to get rid of my tan lines so that I can wear my gorgeous new shoulder-less maxi dress for my son's wedding in April!
  • sbaquera
    Options
    I like to be outside and just tan as I go...I don't really make it something to do. I live in Arizona and the weather here is pretty nice year round....not a fan of tanning beds.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I fry like you would not believe, then blister and peel. I'm also very conscious about wrinkles lol, so I use sunscreen and generally stick to the shade.

Funny thing is, there are a lot of men who seem drawn to my pale skin...probably because every other white girl out there turns brown in the summer lol. Something different, I guess.
  • lilqtwbotkam3
    lilqtwbotkam3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes i'm a bit tanning obsessive lol, I do have natural color i'm mixed black and white so i'm brown anyways...but I love a good tan and have been tanning for at least 7 years! I've done every type of tan but I would suggest a spray tan. If your very pale try TAN TOWEL for "light skin tones" I use the dark ones but it's a very natural gradual tan that develops in about 2-4 hours.
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you have fair skin, you might want to look into the skin cancer risks involved with tanning.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No, no and no....
    I get enough sun just going outdoors and am dark all year round.
    Italian:glasses:

Not fair. Apparently I'm part Finnish, hence the blonde hair, blue eyes and very pale skin. I'm not even sure I could tan, honestly. I would like to try a tanning bed maybe once, but my fear of burning even with lotion on is pretty high.
  • annavt09
    annavt09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have tanned in a tanning bed before, but my mom was diagnosed with melanoma in September. I always thought melanoma was a cancer you could just have removed, but that's not true. It spreads in the body and is treated with chemo and radiation just like other cancers; of course, it can be fatal.

When I went to the dermatologist (my brothers and I now have to go once a year), the very first question she asked was, "Do you use a tanning bed?" and the second was, "Have you EVER used a tanning bed?"

I will NEVER get back in a tanning bed, and I recommend that you don't either!!!! Some friends of mine said there are some great tanning lotions out there (way updated since the bright orange stuff of the 90s...haha), and I'm sure the spray tan is safe as well. But please don't use the tanning bed!!!!!
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I'm tan already, but I don't want to run the risk of skin cancer.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I tanned for years and have not tanned in about two years. If you do it do the spray tan. Otherwise you will deal with sun damage.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I used to tan in tanning beds.. .religiously. And at the beach every other day. But now I wear sunblock all the time and take care of my skin. I don't want to look 60 when I'm 30.