Stretching out calories?

Options
I'm just getting back on the low calorie wagon now that I have had my baby (I'm not breast feeding). Before I got pregnant I was doing about 1200 - 1250 calories/day to lose weight and I had no problem with hunger during the day. Well now I'm doing about 1500 but I find that I'm starving because I'm having to stretch my calories throughout a LOT longer of a day. I'm usually up at 4 am and go to bed at about 10.

I'm not allowed to start exercising except super light walking because I had problems with my c-section and my doctor wants me to take exercising SUPER slow. Once I am able to exercise I know I will be able to eat a bit more.

I really don't want to up my calories -- do any of you have suggestions for stretching my calories out so I'm not so starving? I don't really wanna eat less at each meal because I'm usually only eating 200-300 cals per mini meal that I eat.

It might also be that my body is adjusting to lower calories and the hunger will pass after a week or so, but man this is hard. I have the munchies so bad and it's only 8:30.

Replies

• Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Your problem may be lack of sleep. When I was only getting about 5 hours of sleep because of work and school, I noticed that I would eat twice as much as usual!
    As for stretching calories, try snacking on carrot sticks or pickles when you're hungry. The crunch can be very satisfying and the calories are really low. Be careful of the sodium in pickles though.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Nursing also burns a lot of calories and is your body's way of naturally taking the pregnancy weight off. I obviously don't know why you cannot breastfeed, but if it's at all possible I would definitely do that as your exercise :)
  • ndriedger
    ndriedger Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker. Always have been. I have found chopping my snacks into smaller pieces helps a lot. Like an apple instead of chopping it into eight pieces. I slice it into slivers. And any vegetable that sounds good at the time. It takes longer to eat it and you get more water in as well. So I can mindless munch and never be much for hungry. Also, I would try lower calorie snacks to stretch out until baby adjusts and you can get more sleep.
  • ladyobie
    Options
    What about changing what you are eatting? I like oatmeal for breakfast because it really fills you up, is fairly low in calories and keeps you full longer. I find that I do not even need a morning snack and then I can eat more calories at dinner when I tend to be more hungry.
  • RCSimmonds
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200. When I first started on this I was hungry for a lot of the day, it took 11 weeks to really get used to it (I think that I had probably been eating closer to 1800 calories per day prior to this - no wonder I only lost 200g each month!). I very rarely eat any bread / cereal / potatoes / rice etc - trying to keep a low carb diet. I eat yoghurt at nearly every meal, and I find it fills me and keeps the hunger at bay for a long time. Persevering has paid off as I have lost 10kg in13 weeks, and am now only 3kgs from my goal weight!! This is after 2 years of increasing exercise and decreasing food, and losing 40kgs, then a year of staying at approx the same weight. So I am thrilled - thank you my fitness pal!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The only thing i can think of is to add more low calorie veggies when you are starving. Evening is my worst time too. I will eat celery sticks, or cut up a whole cucumber which is super low in calories and filling because of the water content. Radishes and carrots are good too. Sometimes a bowl of high fiber cereal with or without milk. Sugarfree cocoa is good at night, and I swear by my celestial seasons apple cinnamon tea. Something about drinking a hot liquid makes me feel full and satisfied without calories, even when I have nagging night time hunger. Stretching meals somtimes makes it harder to feel full and satisfied at anytime. So I eat my meals and fill in with the super light stuff later. Good luck.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    lack of sleep will make your body release a hormone that will make you fill hungry. Also, upping your fiber can make you fill fuller for awhile. Plus you may need more food because your body is healing. Talk to your doctor, but losing slower, like 1/2 lbs a week may be better for your lifestyle for awhile.
  • KimmehL
    KimmehL Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Try upping your protein:) Have a hard boiled egg, a spoon of peanut butter, a small wedge of cheese. I tend to zig zag my calories and on my low cal days, if I eat more protein, I don't feel hungry at all.
  • mom2my5sons
    mom2my5sons Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating more...........give your body everything it needs right now to take care of you and your baby. Make every calorie a healthy one, and the weight will come off. When your baby is about 9 months old, go ahead and rethink your plan if you want to lower it. I'm not a professional, but I'm a mom-and I know I need all the energy I can get in those months :) Best!!
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Nursing also burns a lot of calories and is your body's way of naturally taking the pregnancy weight off. I obviously don't know why you cannot breastfeed, but if it's at all possible I would definitely do that as your exercise :)

I wasn't producing any milk and he wouldn't latch and then I had to take medicine that would have transferred to him. I wish I could have breast fed but everything was against me. He's a happy healthy 1.5 month old now and that's all that matters.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I agree about getting sleep, as my will power usually goes down with the lack of it. I get ravenous! It it must be really hard with a new baby though. Try sneaking in naps when the baby is sleeping:)

I find that eating a good full breakfast with lots of good protein really fuels me for the day. I can have lighter lunches & dinners this way. If I skip breakfast or have a light one for whatever reason, I end up either overeating at dinner or never feel satisfied. Protein based snacks help in between also (nuts, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, humus, etc.) And fill half your plate with vegetables. It`s not only super nutritious but low cal and very filling.