Can you gain weight just in your right thigh?

Options
Here's an odd question for you. I have been on maintenance for half a year now, things have been going very well. Yesterday however, I noticed that my right pant leg in the thigh feels a bit snug. I measured myself this morning and sure enough, my right thigh and hips are up by about half an inch. Tomorrow is weigh in day and I'm a bit afraid to step on the scale. The crazy thing is I've been tracking my calories, and nothing out of the ordinary has changed. --Except that I haven't been running 3X a week, although I've substituted running with other exercise (step aerobics, yoga and running at least once a week). Has anyone else experienced this? Is this foreshadowing to the fact that I'm eating too much and I'm just starting to gain weight in my thigh?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    a lot of us are not perfectly proportioned..and we can gain and lose weight in one half over the other..its genetics.

but in your case what you describe, it could be simply water/fluid swelling your leg. if you've somehow injured that leg or from doing the exercises you've put stress on that leg and its inflammed with fluid trying to heal it.
    try taking a break for a few days..elevate your leg and apply heat. see if that helps.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I really think it's a muscle hypertrophy in one leg. Perhaps you favor one leg in your exercises and don't realize it.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    This is gonna sound stupid, but in my step aerobics class in high school my friend started bulking on only one side so I watched her one session to realize that while the rest of us alternated our lead leg she stuck to her right through the entire session. She was only about 110 lbs and 5'8" so it was very noticeable. I'm not saying thats what is happening here and tend to agree with the theory that you may have a small injury that you dont know about that is drawing in water, but it is kind of a funny story. As for me I'm not even on both sides, but if you are normally then the sudden change is odd.
  • farmerted322
    Options
    I've noticed that I'm stronger on one side and i sometimes favore it when i do videos. So that could be it.

Kathy
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound stupid, but in my step aerobics class in high school my friend started bulking on only one side so I watched her one session to realize that while the rest of us alternated our lead leg she stuck to her right through the entire session. She was only about 110 lbs and 5'8" so it was very noticeable. I'm not saying thats what is happening here and tend to agree with the theory that you may have a small injury that you dont know about that is drawing in water, but it is kind of a funny story. As for me I'm not even on both sides, but if you are normally then the sudden change is odd.

I was going to say this same thing due to the mention of the step aerobics. It could be you use the same "leading foot" resulting in more muscle tone in that leg.
  • chadaharvey
    Options
    well no ones legs are the exact same size so this is actually normal.