Why do people cut out fruit?

Options
Is it the carbs, the sugar? I was under the impression those things aren't that bad for you. I mean, it's fruit. I'd be devastated if someone told me to lose weight I had to stop eating apples and kiwi.

.....Do I?

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    No, don't cut out fruit. I don't know why people cut out healthy foods, either. It's totally not necessary.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    No, don't cut out fruit. I don't know why people cut out healthy foods, either. It's totally not necessary.

Okay. Glad I'm not the only one. Every time someone tells me their diet tells them to cut out fruit I'm just like...*blank face*...I thought fruit was healthy and necessary..at least that's what I learned in grade school.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm always wary of any plans that tell you to make sweeping eliminations (like no starches or dairy). Balance is key. I said in another post that my dietician recommends 2-3 fruit servings daily (and unlimited veggies, provided they're not prepared with a bunch of fattening oils, etc). There's sugar in fruit but it's naturally-occurring. Definitely a better snack than, say, artificially sweetened cookies or something.:smile:
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Because people don't make the distinction between natural sugars (fruit) and refined sugars (processed foods). There is a very important difference in my opinion.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The fructose in fruit does raise blood sugar. On South Beach we are encouraged to eat some protein or fat with our fruit to slow its digestion, and to choose fruits lower in sugar.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Yeah, I'm always wary of any plans that tell you to make sweeping eliminations (like no starches or dairy). Balance is key. I said in another post that my dietician recommends 2-3 fruit servings daily (and unlimited veggies, provided they're not prepared with a bunch of fattening oils, etc). There's sugar in fruit but it's naturally-occurring. Definitely a better snack than, say, artificially sweetened cookies or something.:smile:

That's what I always thought..that it's better than cookies.
    Because people don't make the distinction between natural sugars (fruit) and refined sugars (processed foods). There is a very important difference in my opinion.

I agree. I was wondering why people make sugar out to be the bad guy. There's no HFCS or aspartame in an apple. I thought the body needs a bit of (natural) sugar anyway? When I read people don't eat fruit for a diet I get sad for them, lol. Then I started hearing about it more and wondering if I missed out on some study that said fruit = bad. Glad that isn't the case.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    The fructose in fruit does raise blood sugar. On South Beach we are encouraged to eat some protein or fat with our fruit to slow its digestion, and to choose fruits lower in sugar.

That sounds like a much better idea than cutting it out entirely. Perhaps that's why I usually read about people putting peanut butter on almost all fruit.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Not necessary to cut out anything (well, except maybe things like McDonald's...haha)...

Even too much of a good thing can quickly turn into a bad thing but eating right is learning to eat everything in moderation.

I could never live without eating Raspberries...haha
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You need sugars for energy. Natural sugars are fruit are good. Processed and refined sugars are where the problems come in. And I agree with the comment about all the artificial stuff in the sugar-free foods, that's probably worse than the sugar
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Because people attribute super powers to sugar that surpass it's calorie content.
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    I actually had a Personal Trainer tell me NOT to eat fruit. She made no distinction between naturally occurring sugar and refined sugar. I listened to her for about a day. When I went for the mini snickers vs. the apple because it had less sugar...I knew her logic was jacked.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Is it the carbs, the sugar? I was under the impression those things aren't that bad for you. I mean, it's fruit. I'd be devastated if someone told me to lose weight I had to stop eating apples and kiwi.

.....Do I?

Yes, it's the carbs/sugar. Some people can function on carbs/sugar better than others. There is a very good chance that the cause of my own "carb problems" has a genetic basis. I wont go into all that but I have tried to eat an apple a day while in college....mainly because "everyone else does" but I feel queasy within 20-30 minutes and I have no more energy than I did before, only I feel worse (sick, nauseated, sweaty). Since fruit is a completely un-enjoyable snack for me, I don't eat it. My roommate is vegetarian and loves fruit. She has reminded me to eat fruit because of the nutrients and while I appreciate her concern, the same nutrients can oftentimes be acquired through less sugary foods. Fruit IS bad for some people but I think it has much to do with individual carbohydrate tolerance. Some people can digest wheat gluten, others can't. Some people are lactose intolerant, others aren't. It is completely reasonable that some people are fructose challenged and others aren't.

I eat a low carb diet as a lifestyle but that doesn't mean I don't eat sugar sometimes. Nor do I judge people that eat fruit. I used to think everyone should be on a LC diet but I have learned a lot about individual physiology since then and I am no longer convinced that everyone should be doing the same thing. If you love kiwis and apples, girl, go for it!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I always pair fruit with protein to avoid sugar spikes, like an apple with some cheese, a half banana or berries in a protein shake, or turkey roll ups with a handful of grapes but I don't eliminate them completely.
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have had more success eating a normal diet - just watching my sweets. This is a way of life - not a diet.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a Nutritionist and I've had to temporarily cut out tropical fruit because they're high in fructose. I love bananas and usually have them before my work outs for energy!

Yes, I agree you should eat a balanced diet but if there's a health problem causing your weight problem or hindering your success, you need to remedy what's wrong first in order to stabilize yourself, before adopting the balanced approach.

I have been eating apples, pears, oranges and melon so I'm not totally deprived!

I tend to eat fruit with my lunch OR I'll have a few nuts and some fruit together, I try not to have the fruit on its own.
  • vilardip1
    Options
    but you also need to keep in mind that sugar is sugar no matter which way you slice it...still need to maintain a solid balance of protein fat without over-doing it on fruits
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Most people cut them out because they have a lot of sugar in them. Granted, it is natural sugar vs the processed stuff. Some people find they are more successful with their weight loss when they cut back on sugar, so cutting down on their fruit intake can help them out a lot.

Remember... you can gain weight by overeating ANYTHING - even healthy foods.
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    South Beach Diet god I hate diets why would someone use a diet plan in here for. Is this not for getting off stupid fad diets and learning that all foods are ok in moderation and learning what makes us fat in the first place. Diets end this doesn't end for me as I will always eat may as well learn to eat right screw diets as far as I am concerned I don't need that roller coaster in my life
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options

I agree. While limiting fruit to a few servings a day is good for some people (I limit myself to 2-3 servings a day since I have PCOS), fruit is good for you and helps keep you from overdoing it on sweets. At least it does for me. :smile:
  • heidi2004
    heidi2004 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out fruits!! I eat mine earlier in the day though!! i have heard alot about them too but I love all fruits!! With all its's sugar content alot of people told me to eat them before 7!! you think your doing right by having fruit at night rather then chips and such but i was told its not good!! not quiet sure if its true though.