Housework

2»

Replies

• EssexShell
    EssexShell Posts: 23 Member
    I only asked...
    If someone has only sat on the sofa everyday watching tv and being on a laptop and has been agraphobic for almost 10 years because of being hit by a drunk driver and is now making big efforts vacuuming and housework which brings a sweat, and making myself walk around the block (which are steep hills) nervously instead of in the car then i feel i am doing some sort of exercise/activity so i would like to add it on mine. I know it's not a proper exercise like zumba etc, but going from nothing to something is bound to burn SOME calories...isn't it?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I only asked...
    If someone has only sat on the sofa everyday watching tv and being on a laptop and has been agraphobic for almost 10 years because of being hit by a drunk driver and is now making big efforts vacuuming and housework which brings a sweat, and making myself walk around the block (which are steep hills) nervously instead of in the car then i feel i am doing some sort of exercise/activity so i would like to add it on mine. I know it's not a proper exercise like zumba etc, but going from nothing to something is bound to burn SOME calories...isn't it?

Key word there.. Some.

I personally don't think it burns enough to be warranted.. you can easily account for those calories by changing an activity level as previously stated.

Today I'm going to the do my laundry that involves lugging my laundry bin down three flights of stairs and then sorting it and bending etc... will I count that? No.. because I'm literally going to burn all of like 10 calories.. which isn't going to do much for me in the long run.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    I only asked...

The most important thing is really does it work for you. When people are logging, not losing weight, but are trying to, then, generally speaking, they are either over recording exercise, or under recording what they are eating. The name of the game is recording your calorie intake and burn as accurately as possible. It's that simple*. So if you log housework and lose weight it means you are accurately logging your calorie balance, if not, something is out and you need to adjust.

Edit : * calculating calorie intake/use is never going to be 100% accurate.
  • I only asked...

I commend you for making this great change in your life. First off, I can relate to a certain degree being hit by a drunk driver, as my other (step) daughter had the same experience two years ago. You are doing well in walking, getting off of the couch, and getting into a more healthy lifestyle. As I said before, some people have a problem with vacuuming, etc., being called exercise. I, for one, do not. Continue what you are doing, as each of us need to do what works for us. Yes, going from nothing to something does burn calories. We can't all be gym junkies or zumba dancers, but we are all individuals. God bless and take care.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    If it's a big change for you then it will definitely count for something. Good job!!
  • EssexShell
    I commend you for making this great change in your life. First off, I can relate to a certain degree being hit by a drunk driver, as my other (step) daughter had the same experience two years ago. You are doing well in walking, getting off of the couch, and getting into a more healthy lifestyle. As I said before, some people have a problem with vacuuming, etc., being called exercise. I, for one, do not. Continue what you are doing, as each of us need to do what works for us. Yes, going from nothing to something does burn calories. We can't all be gym junkies or zumba dancers, but we are all individuals. God bless and take care.

Thank you for your comment, it was very nice of you.
    And thank you all for your help in the question i asked in 1st place.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinon of whether or not this is an exercise and i believe it all depends on how much activity the individual does day to day before they start on their healthy new start.
    If an individual is on their feet and works all day and is overweight obviously hoovering is not going to make much difference in their day to day. As i say i have been agoraphobic for nearly 10 years and a full time mum eating anything. I have only put on weight in this time as before this i was very active (but still a full time mum) i would walk for miles along the beach, i was never indoors and always would dance on nights out at weekends, plus went to keep fit classes and felt fat if i reached 9 stone.
    I only joined this 2 days ago and i'm just starting the calorie counting and am making more effort in and out the house so at this time i'd like to make note and i'm not fooling myself as to this will get results but it's just a start and i will build up to ignoring hooving as an effort.
    Little by little i will get my life back. ;-)
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    I do not log cleaning, taking care of the kids, etc. Yes, I am sure it burns calories, just like breathing. However, it doesnt get your heart rate up to where it should be for a long enough period.

Our cardiologists refuse to tell their patients that activities of daily living are considered exercise. They want you on the treadmill, out walking, etc. Something where your heart rate is up for at least 30 minutes.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    If it's a big change for you then it will definitely count for something. Good job!!
    I agree with this. I don't count cleaning, but everyone is at a different stage of this process, so there's no "one size fits all' advice. If it wasn't part of your routine all along, then you can definitely count it. Just be careful, because MFP can sometimes estimate high for calories burned, so if you're eating back exercise calories, you may want to estimate a lower amount so you aren't sabotaging your efforts!

Best of luck to you, and welcome to MFP!
  • I think that any effort you make at this point is better than nothing! You are doing a great job. Keep it up and if you need support, you can add me as a friend. :)
  • EssexShell
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    EssexShell to answer your question-
    The real question you want to answer is, "Does it burn more calories than sitting on the couch?" The answer to that is another question. "Does it raise your heart rate?" If it does, then you're burning more calories than sitting on the couch. That's worth recording. If you want to get a true accurate reading, try getting your heart rate in the middle of the housework and look up if that's considered moderate or intense for you. Then you'll know if that's "heavy cleaning" or "moderate cleaning" for calorie purposes.

Not everyone's idea of housework is "vacuuming for 5 minutes or sweeping for 3." When I clean my house I typically keep going for at least 30 minutes at a time. I can vacuum my entire house in about ten minutes 'cause it's small. But when I get started on bathrooms, that takes serious elbow grease and about 20 minutes per bathroom. Clutter pick-up takes way longer and involves as much heart rate increase as the bathrooms. Laundry depends on whether I'm collecting, transferring or folding. You get the idea. You be the judge of how tough or intense it is. If it raises your heart rate then it's burning more calories than sitting on the couch.

Good luck! HTH
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    i agree that each person is different. my husband is not nearly as active as i am. he has a very sedentary job for 12 hours per day. if he were to vacuum, YES i would consider that activity/excercise for him. it's not for me, but that's b/c i am so active. i think each person has to decide for him/herself what is burning calories. i can sit in the sun in my lawn chair and sweat like crazy and not really burn any calories, but i can also lift weights for 20 min and NOT sweat at all, but KNOW that i'm burning calories.

the only warning i have is that you have to be careful not to overestimate how many calories you are burning. if you vacuum, mop the floor and take a 20 minute walk and figure you have burned 1000 calories, i would reconsider. (using as an example) just be reasonable and perhaps even UNDERestimate calorie burn so you can lose. :smile:
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    This is what I think, that is if you want my opinion...lol ;)

The normal chores like dishes, vacuuming, sweeping I don't count at all. Its part of everyday life and that's typically already factored in to a normal schedule. Its when you start washing walls, cleaning out cupboards, washing your rugs is when it should be counted. I personally wear an HRM because though I appreciate MFP calculating it for me, it usually runs kind of high and most times it says I burned twice the calories then I actually burned. I work out 6 days a week and do my "Sunday cleaning" Thats when I wear mine. Its the day I really get down to business cleaning my apartment ready for the rest of the week.

I hope this helps. Its super important to know your calories in/calories out so you can be successful.