Phentermine

Options
Has anyone out there tried phentermine in conjunction with their diet/exercise plan? The doc put me on it a couple of days ago and the jury is still out as to whether I like it or not.

Replies

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I did it many years ago

I kept the weight off - but you really have to change your eating habits to maintain the weight loss - portoin control healthy eating. Otherwise the weight comes right back on

Good Luck
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I used it for a short while back in 2003 when I first started Atkins as my Doctor thought it would jump start the low carb plan faster because I was almost 270 pounds and only 5' 3"..............

I was able to lose weight pretty fast along with doing Atkins and going to the gym, but I didn't keep it off and when I was taking it, I couldn't sleep...........
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    My GP gave it to me 2 years ago to "jump start" my dieting. It made me very anxious & jittery. When I asked my GYN's opinion, he said it's my body - I can kill myself if I want to!:noway:
    He said it's terrible for your heart. So I stopped it immediately.
  • holpak
    holpak Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am on it right now.. and i love it.. it helps me so much... but I've been on it before.. you just have to have your mind set that this is just to boost your weight loss.. and still eat healthy and exercise! If you keep those in mind while you are taking this.. then it is a wonderful wonderful pill. I am on the 37.5 pill and it is so much better than the 15 pill. Makes you very thirsty too so it helps you get in your water easily!! Hope you do well on it... and remember in the end... you have to develop those healthy eating habits and exercise otherwise.. it is only a temporary fix at best
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm on it right now too but didn't want to say anything because I know how most people feel about diet pills, especially this one. I tried it a few years ago and it worked but I let myself gain all the weight back. I am on the highest dosage right now and I love it. It keeps me from being so hungry in between meals and I get full faster when I do eat. It does make me thirsty too, so that's a good thing and I have a lot more energy. I don't have a problem sleeping at night either. I have been on it for almost a month and have lost about 10 lbs. My doctor did an EKG and blood work before putting me on it. I don't get the jitters or anything but I am able to stay awake during the day. I am still counting calories but I don't feel so hungry all the time. I think it's great.

Just my two cents worth!

Memaw
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I was on this when it first came out and was prescribed with the other 'phen' product. It worked fantastic, but I never slept and as soon as I went off I gained it all back and then more.

I ended up with heart murmur because of it.

Its totally up to you if you continue it but for me I've decided that natural is better, both physically and mentally. What I lose now is because I've changed....I've worked hard and i've earned it. Not thanks to a pill.

Good luck with your decision and your weight loss...you can do it!!
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    NO! NO! NO! NO!! :devil:

This stuff is evil, will mess up your heart, liver and kidneys....
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    When I stopped smoking I started to watch what I was eating, gained 2 lbs in 3 months. I then started adding excercise to my plan, nothing. I then dropped to 1500 calories and upped my excercise.....gained 5 lbs, now I was at 192. I was working on my eliptical 10-15 minutes every morning, walking 2.5 miles (45 minutes) every afternoon, and working on the eliptical 30 every night. I'm very active at work. My doctor put me on phen because she thought my metabolism was running too slow (thyroid low, but still within range for no meds.) She only allows her patients to stay on it for 3 months and has you come in for a blood pressure check, and you have to be healthy to begin with. I did get very thirsty, had trouble sleeping at first, you have to take it very early in the mornings, (took melatonin to help me sleep), stayed on my diet and excercise plan, had tons of energy and lost 25 lbs in two months. Then hit a snag, blood pressure went up to 160/90 (normal for me 128/72). She said no to the third month, had to wait for the blood pressure to come back down(if it did). I waited for a month, kept up with my routine, no weight lost. She allowed me to go back on for the last month, but I messed up......I cut the pills in half, and waited until the holidays were over before taking them again. I had gained back 15 of the lbs I had lost (my own fault, holiday eating), took the phen for the next two months....lost nothing....gained nothing....then they were gone, no withdrawal symptoms (I hear some people complain about them), but blood pressure was back up. My blood pressure is back under control....in fact it's better than ever, However, I still have what feel like panic attacks on occasion and I believe they are from taking the phen. Then I joined this site..... what I didn't realize was how slow my metabolism had gotten, I need to stay at about 1100 calories in order to lose any weight. Wish I had known that a few months ago. For me......no I would not take them again, but each individual is different. (watch your blood pressure and a racing heart and you must definately excercise while taking these pills)
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I took it for 90 days several years ago. It gave me a good start on weight loss, 20 pounds in 12 weeks. I loved it. my doctor monitored me carefully the entire time and I was confident in her care!
    No long term side effects. It was what I needed to get started. ( I also loved ephedra , the energy I had was awesome, same with the phentermine)
  • sunsoaker
    sunsoaker Posts: 9
    Options
    I took phentermine about a year ago for about three months(my Dr. suggests take for three months then break for three). Anyhow, it did in fact help me lose weight....I lost 40lbs. in 3 1/2 months. Yes i know very fast! My energy level was wonderful! BUT......If i missed a dose and resumed the following day, I was awake all night long......doing laundry, mopping floors, vaccuming, etc.....after that first day i was fine. After i stopped taking it i gained it all back and then some. I felt sooooooo tired all the time, almost like a sugar crash.:yawn: So basically for ME.......It worked for a short period of time, but had side effects as well. I had heard all of these things from friends before I began taking it. None of it mattered because I wanted to lose weight. For me Phentermine was bitter/sweet! Here's my 0.02 cents. lol