Grocery Shopping

Options
So, I'm going grocery shopping tonight to stock up on some healthy things so I can plan better. So far, my list is:
Bananas
Apples
Other Fruit
Tuna, Miracle Whip, Sandwich Thins
Salad
Turkey Slices
Yogurt
Chicken Strips
Nuts
Fiber One Bars
Frozen Dinners (lean cuisine, healthy choice)

I usually have yogurt, a banana, and a fiber one bar for breakfast (not the most filling), was thinking tuna sandwiches for lunch(making my own instead of buying them from Subway), and chicken salads or frozen dinner for dinners. Snacks are fruit and nuts.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of little meals I can put together or some other snack ideas? How does my current line up look?

Replies

• ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Try adding more protein.... I usually find this easier to get in at dinner. Try chicken breasts, lean meats, steak, eggs.

I eat Chicken a lot becasue it's easy. I throw a chicken breast in a skillet and cook, then make a steamer in the mocrowave.... 15 minutes later dinner is done! Plus, you change the chicken up really easily with different marinades or seasonings.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    looks good...but frozen dinners all week? I would go nuts!

I take alot of my recipes from skinnytaste.com and plan my weekly meals accordingly... that is usually the basis for my grocery list (and depends on weekly sale flyers). I only shop once a week. Always on my lists are fruits, veggies, yogurt, milk, eggs, bread... and whatever ingredients I need for dinners. For lunches I usually have leftovers or homemade frozen meals (like chili for example). If I have nothing I bring some soups to work.

BTW, my groceries rarely go over $100 and we are a family of 3.

Add me as friend and message me if you need help with planning a weekly meal plan.
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    bump
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    You need more vegetables, more protein, and..I'd avoid the frozen meals if possible.
  • bassicmom
    Options
    Vegetables for snacks and to make sandwiches more filling. Whatever you favorites are!
  • rgrace03
    Options
    What about some veggies! Broccoli and lettuce are a must on my shopping lists! Try putting chicken in a crock pot. There are so many yummy things you can do with chicken and a crock pot. Stay away from the frozen food; even if they are lean cuisine, they have added preservatives and sodium to them that are not needed. Boneless skinless chicken breast can be baked in 20 minutes, super low fat, yummy and great source of protein!
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Stuff for salads-spinach, dark lettuces, cherry tomatoes, cukes, red onions, carrots, avocados,etc...
    Shaved turkey, roast beef, etc..Oroweat sandwich thins, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes,
    sides-sweet potatoes, frozen vegetables ex. broccoli, green beans, etc....cabbage for low cal. slaw, etc...
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If they have any ultra lean meat on sale pick some up, divide it into single servings then freeze it.

I also use a lot of frozen veg in the winter. I like the mixed bags of frozen veg like Italian Blend, California Blend, etc. Microwaved with some seasonings, frozen veg work great and are easily as fast as a frozen meal.

I grab a 4 oz. packet of chicken breasts out of my freezer, defrost it, cut it up and cook it with a bunch of fresh pre-sliced mushrooms and seasonings. It only takes about 15 minutes and it's so simple, yummy and filling. (I'd avoid the pre-frozen chicken breasts as they are injected with lots of sodium.)