Do you consume all of your allotted calories?

Options

Replies

• robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry... I don't eat them all. I listen to my body, MFP is a good guide... but I listen to my body.

Me too, most days I don't eat all my allotted calories. If I'm not hungry I don't eat. Does it help or hinder me, I'm not sure but I am sure I'm at my UWG so I've been doing something right.
  • mtracy11
    Options
    Thank you for your response! I have been working really hard, and gaining weight. I think it is because I am not eating enough. It makes much more sense now; when I work out, I need to eat the extra calories to keep my body burning calories effectively. :)
  • tamisawyer
    Options
    btw, your body acts more on a week to week basis, rather then a day to day way.

for instance, yesterday i went over my calories by about 650. i'm ok with that because it was a rest day and i knew i was going to have a sick burn today (1312 calories... bring it!!). so if i spread those calories out over two days, i have an extra 662 calories for today.

good point...
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    funny-gifs-eat-all-the-things1.gif

Most excellent reference.
  • netanyaj
    Options
    I usually don't eat all my alloted calories. I try to stay at around 1250. I'm allowed like 2000. I personally think thats a bit much for me but i'm finding satifiying foods to fill me up and feed the body what it needs.
  • MissMarcia79
    Options
    I am set on 1200 a day and I always go over and eat my exercise calories! 1200 cals isn't much.
  • alicia_kay
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of calories to function normally, aka keep your heart beating, your brain thinking clearly and all of that good stuff. When I tried to lose we isn't before, I didn't eat back my workout calories ever and I ended up in a 2-month plateau where I didn't lose a single pound.
    This time around, I'm eating the bulk of my calories and I have lost steadily and consistently since January. I am now almost 20 pounds down since my high in late-November. I know it seems like slow progress, but I didn't really try to refrain during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.
    The best advice I have ever received about this was from someone who lost over 100 pounds counting calories. His advice was to eat within 100 calories of your goal, up or down. Some days you just are not very hungry, but you need to feed your body adequately and other days you are famished. It will all even out in the end.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200-1300 and exercise to burn nearly 500+ a day. And no I don't eat them back.

Why you ask? Cause I only eat until I'm full. If I'm full with 600 calories then damit I ain't eating anymore
  • Incredible_shrinking_woman
    Options
    My alloted daily calories is set at 890. I usually eat about 550-600 of those alloted cals, but I also then burn some off by doing some exercise. :)

15714177.png
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
    I think that it is important to remember that when you setup your account you established a "goal" of losing 1 or 2 pounds a week. The calories that you are given is already taking that 1 or 2 pound goal into account. So if say for instance MFP recommends eating 1200 calories a day then you should over time by eating those 1200 lose your goal weight.

I DO NOT recommend eating significantly less or more than what MFP recommends because if you eat more you won't lose the weight you had hoped to lose and if you eat less then you may put your body into starvation mode which will make losing weight MUCH harder and at worst you may damage your health by not getting sufficient nutrition.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My alloted daily calories is set at 890. I usually eat about 550-600 of those alloted cals, but I also then burn some off by doing some exercise. :)

Your allotted calories can't be 890...the site gives a minimum of 1200. where did you get that figure from?
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    not to be a post thief but I was wondering.... so many people are split about weather to eat their exercise calories back or not. For those people who do eat them back how many extra calories are you burning a day with exercise? 500 - 1000? For those of you who don't eat them back or only eat some back, are you burning about this many calories or you burning less? Just a thought.......

I have been eating close to my calorie goal, although I try to stay a little bit under to account for inaccuracies in the calorie counts in my food diary. I exercise 3 - 4 times a week, and generally burn 600 - 1,000 calories each time. So far I have been eating back about 25 - 40% of those exercise calories, and it has worked for me. Lately though it seems like my weekly weight loss is slowing down, so I am going to start eating more of those exercise calories to see if it kicks up my metabolism again.

It seems no matter how much I read up on this it is still an individual thing - what works for one does not work for all. :grumble:
  • staciemul
    Options
    I've been doing this for a year now and I'm only 2lbs away from my goal. What I've learned is that women need to, at minimum, consume their allotted (before exercise) calories. You actually have to eat in order to boost your metabolism and loose weight, You should NEVER consume less than 1200 calories per day, or your body will go into starvation mode and begin storing the calories you do consume as fat. This is not a crash diet. It's a tool used to help hold you accountable and promote a healthy lifestyle. If you exercise a lot, I say reward yourself with a treat or a meal that is higher in calories than you're used to. That way you will never feel deprived. Good luck everyone.
  • Incredible_shrinking_woman
    Options
    I beg the differ.. you most certainly can adjust all of your settings on here..

From Calories - Carbs-Fat- Cholestrol ect...

For those who don't know that you CAN adjust your Goals like, allowed cals, fat, carbs, cholesterol, sugar ... Go to MY HOME> GOALS> CHANGE GOALS. When you pull this page up it will allow you to put in your desired numbers for each catagory.

:)15714177.png
  • abigailm83
    Options
    :smile:
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories
    more slowly -- and you gain weight.:noway:
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
    [/quote]

I agree with this but I also know how it is to have that little voice inside your head sayin less is better. I'm working on shutting that little voice up and have been eating back the majority of my exercise calorie which is usually close to an extra 800 calories. I'm not saying to stuff yourself till you feel sick but there are plenty of snacks that give you healthy calories. I personally like hummas and pretzel crisp and jello with a little cool whip. One gives me a salty snack and the other lets me have some sweets. In the end you have to do what is comfortable for you and find a balance that works for you. GOOD LUCK and welsome MFP
  • GreenEyedGrl86
    Options
    Depends on the day. Sometimes I'm super close to going over, and then I have days like yesterday where I am under by about 300+.
  • rhondaway1
    Options
    Hi, my name is Rhonda and I am also having problems getting in all my calories. Not sure yet how to work in the calories without going over my fats. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :smile:
  • Renee0608
    Options
    I usually come close to my allotted 1200 calories....Sometimes I will eat back some of my exercise calories, but never all of them.
  • preisler
    Options
    I use exercise to buy me more leeway in the amount or type of food I consume during the day. As an example, I'm heading to a Superbowl party on Sunday afternoon so I'll try to burn as much calories as I can at the gym Sunday morning. I'll still try to remain under my calorie limit but will hopefully enjoy a couple of beers and some snacks.

But realize I'm totally new to this and will hopefully continue to see results. BTW I admire those of you maintaining a 1200 or less calorie limit.
  • newfieborn
    Options
    It is important that you are nourishing your body every two to three hours (all hours that you are awake) with balanced, delicious meals and snacks.The idea is that by having small, frequent meals, your body never has the chance to go into starvation mode and your body's metabolism kick into overdrive. You must balance all meal with protien, carbs, fats, & lots of water. Maintain small portion size and balance this out with regular exercise. If you do this then calorie counting is not as big an issue. Your healthy food choices will limit your calorie intake and your exercise will burn excess calories.

In the end, most days MFP will show that you still have not reached your daily calorie goal and that is ok because you know that you have eaten all of your required nutritients. Your body is actually burning some of the excess energy (fat) that it has stored. This is what you are trying to achieve.