Suprised...anyone have thoughts?

Options
My food diary is open, and I would love if anyone would have a look and give me some feedback. I feel like I'm losing SO slowly, even though I feel like I'm eating plenty and even been able to do twice a week exercise (I have a chronic illness to contend with). I feel like I have worked SO hard and I am at a loss.

I ate a footlong sub on Wednesday with a small Sprite, wondering if that is why/retaining water from that....I may also be pre-menstrual (sorry if TMI).

I just want to avoid falling into bad habits, and am open to whatever advice you might have, just please remember I cannot (at this time, hopefully someday!) lift weights or train high impact.

Thanks a lot and feel free to add me as a friend if you are interested :)

Replies

• fetchfury
    fetchfury Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    tbh, i think it looks like your eating healthy, even though sometimes your not eating back your exercise calories, but apart from that it seems ok.
    I wouldn't worry about loosing weight slowly, it means it'll be easier for you to maintain in the long run, rather than loosing super quick by a 'quickfix' diet, then putting it all back on again when you eat normally. I think your doing fine! keep at it!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am losing extremely slowly too. It has taken me almost one year to lose 30 pounds, while some people on MFP have lost that in a few months. I have learned that some of us lose slowly, some lose fast, and the worst thing you can do is compare your rate of loss to others. It will drive you mad. Just keep doing the best you can, accurately log food and exercise, and it will happen!
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are making good choices food wise the majority of the time. It looks like you aren't eating enough however, there are several days that you are quite a bit under your calorie goal and with you're exercising you aren't getting enough fuel. You're protein is frequently low as well as you're fats. Making sure you're nutrition is in order will give you the maximum benefit. A lot of people find they actually need to eat more to lose weight. I was one of those people as well. You don't log you're water so make sure you are getting enough of that too. A little tweaking with your nutrition will probably help you out. Overall you have good foods, lean meats, veggies you just need more of them. Don't be afraid to over on your protein, with exercise and running after children all day you need the extra benefits.

Good luck to you!
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I really appreciate it.

It's definitely been a challenge to make food that is healthier but still managing on those days where I am feeling too weak or ill to make food. It helps a lot to make chicken in oven bags, that lasts a good 3 days!

I noticed some days I am under my calories but most of those days (I think) are due to me not eating my exercise calories back (not something I've ever done before but can try!)

I try to log my water but forget, but I probably am still not drinking enough-that is one of those tough ones for me. I can't stand those artificial sweeteners so I just drink plain water but it can be hard. I'm trying!

It just surprises me that I'm not losing more, considering my weight and how much I need to lose! I'm trying to keep myself motivated and thinking positive. I know in my heart that I'm feeling good and am going to try to focus on that. Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming!
  • kittyneutron
    Options
    I am losing extremely slowly too. It has taken me almost one year to lose 30 pounds, while some people on MFP have lost that in a few months. I have learned that some of us lose slowly, some lose fast, and the worst thing you can do is compare your rate of loss to others. It will drive you mad. Just keep doing the best you can, accurately log food and exercise, and it will happen!

Yes, this is what I keep thinking. In the end it is just not possible to go wrong with eating healthier and exercising, and there may be a lot of reasons that for not losing this week, so I just have to keep truckin :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I can't help but agree with the thoughts already expressed, frustrating as it may seem, losing the weight slowly is far better than losing it quickly. My own weightloss journey had been very much stop-start-stop-start but it is consistently going down slowly.

Hang in there and don't lose faith!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 2 months to lose 6 lbs.. I was only seeing about .5lb progress week to week... I upped my calories and have a few 'shock' days in a row.. I've seen 2lbs off this week.. You just have to find what works for you.

Good luck. :)

*edit* I reviewed your diay.. on days you work out, try to reach at least 1200.. I noiced you weren't most of the time.. This may be part of the problem.
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    Options
    This is what seems to work for me...I cut out almost all of my bad carbs like breads, pastas and sweets. I've been eating a lot of fruits and vegetables to reach my daily carb intake...then I allow myself one bad carb per day. That may be a piece of candy, a roll with dinner. I also eat all of my carbs throughout the day and try not to eat very very few in the evening for dinner. I also up my protein. So far it seems to be working...its worth a shot! : )
  • kittyneutron
    Options
    That is actually one thing I have wondered about. I have no idea what a good amount of carbs per day is. Is the MFP default okay? What should it be set to?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, you frequently have a good few hundred calories uneaten.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Define "losing slowly."
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Diary looks OK except some days you fall too short your calorie goal.
    Remember, don't try to over reach, because it could stifle progress.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.
    And sometimes, we can all just over do it.
    Just consider going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.
    It's about long-term, permanent and healthy weight loss.

Good Luck!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I would say cut back on the bread, not getting rid of it all together but less frequent and make sure you get as close to 1200 calories Net as you can. I took out processed food from my diet and make everything fresh...with the occasional bread and pasta. The nutritionist told me to make sure to have a cheat day once a week, he said go out and do whatever you want in reason. I have been doing that on saturdays and I have lost 21 lbs in 30 days(official weigh in tomorrow).

I aim for 1200 calories net but i set my calories at 1600 because I tend to burn 400 calories a day at the gym. It's working better then the first week where I was burning 600-1000 calories a day at the gym and only eating 1300 calories. Keep it up and make sure you take measurements too!! My diary is open if you want to take a look.
  • kittyneutron
    Options
    Define "losing slowly."

Well...I'm being kind of impatient :)
    Here's an overview:

Jan 21.......110 kg (242.5 lbs)
    Jan 24........109.8 (242 lbs)
    Jan 28........109.5 (241.4 lbs)
    Feb 3..........109.3 (240 lbs)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Define "losing slowly."

Here's an overview:

On a healthy diet, anywhere from an average .5-2 pounds per week is normal and right where you want to be. We all want to be at the 2-pound mark, but unfortunately, all of us won't be. Just remember that the scale is going in the right direction! I understand your impatience, though. Keep doing what you're doing. It IS working!
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are not eating enough protein(lean chicken, beef, fish,etc).

I would watch my carb intake. I'm not saying go low carb just be mindful . I know for myself I can not eat 150 or carbs without gaining weight.

Good luck!!
  • kittyneutron
    Options
    Define "losing slowly."

Here's an overview:

On a healthy diet, anywhere from an average .5-2 pounds per week is normal and right where you want to be. We all want to be at the 2-pound mark, but unfortunately, all of us won't be. Just remember that the scale is going in the right direction! I understand your impatience, though. Keep doing what you're doing. It IS working!

Yes, that's the thing I am thinking over-that I need to just keep going and that I am going in the right direction. I think I just had a rough day and felt sad-when I look over the progress up there I see that it really isn't as bad as I thought. In my head I realize now that I actually was thinking "I didn't lose anything for a week" and that isn't really true. Thanks :)
  • lottie_28
    Options
    I think it's possible that you're not eating enough. Your body could be in starvation mode. I think you should aim for a net of 1200 cals minimum per day, and you might see a boost in your weight loss. Also - BREAKFAST! Not only does it mean you eat less throughout the day, but it really does give your metabolism a boost first thing in the morning.
  • kittyneutron
    Options
    Yes-I missed breakfast this morning, wasn't feeling well :)
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    Options
    That is actually one thing I have wondered about. I have no idea what a good amount of carbs per day is. Is the MFP default okay? What should it be set to?

You should never eat over 50-60 percent of your daily caloric intake in Carbs. 1 gram of carms = 4 calories...so if you eat 1200 calories then you should have about 150 grams of carbs. I try to keep mine at the 115-120 mark...and it seems to be working...but I also only try to eat good carbs like fruits and veggies or grains and seeds! : ) Hope this helps!