New and Seeking Motivation

Options
Hello!
Just looking for some help with motivation and other general pointers. Having to actively attend to my health is kinda new to me, when I was younger I was always so involved in sports that it didn't matter. Growing up sucks! Haha! So if anyone can share what works for them or anything at all, I'd be ever so grateful! Thanks a ton!

Replies

• lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Feel free to read my profile and add me for support and motivation. I have been there and done that so I know definitely relate. You will get to your goal; it will just take some time! You can do this!
  • meads01
    meads01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, I definitely struggle with finding motivation sometimes! So I understand lol Add me if you want! :)
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    You are in the right place.. So, just for kicks and giggles, read a few of my blogs and you can see what life might hold for you if you wait until you are a mother of 5 and almost 50 years old to try to get back in shape... My Zumba blog entry might be especially inspiring if you want a giggle too.

So, tell us what you do, what you want to do and if you want, feel free to friend me.. we will all do our best to help.
    there are some GREAT peeps on this forum who have lots to share.

Good luck!
  • ajenquin
    Options
    Well I worked at a desk job answering phones (almost full-time) and such for 4 years which means a lot of sitting and doing nothing, but they just had to let me go. So my confidence is a bit shot. I'm a 22 year old undergraduate student with zero extra money after rent and tuition, so I try to take walks as often as I can, but this is Wisconsin, and you never know what the weather will do next. I'm looking for things I can do in my apartment that won't piss off my cranky neighbors. I'm also working really hard at picking better food choices, but as I said earlier, it's not something I've really had to think about before, so I'm finding it to be a bit of a struggle.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the request!
    Yes, it is hard to sit all day (I do it too) and it looks like you want to lose 15 pounds or so.. AND you have a good start.
    AND you started here! CONGRATS on all of it.

Walking is GREAT and I understand the weather thing. I live in Indiana and our weather is a bit off this year, but not unmanageable. I count myself lucky. BUT keep doing it. As much as you can! So, I suggest keep walking! Do you have access to the school track? That is always a great place to go when the weather is bad.

If not, you might checkout some nice videos/dvrs you could play in your apartment, just for those days when you can't get out. There are so many out there, but you need to search google and find one that will fit your personality. You may like Pilates (great stuff) or Yoga or PX90. Find something.. Anything...

And try to set a schedule to move (however you want) for a good 4 days a week. It doesn't have to be some long plan, just walk or do your video, as long as you move. It will help. The more you do, the more you will want to do because you will see results as you will simply just feel better!

As to food, stick withe calories suggestions on this app and track EVERY bite you eat. That is how you can find if you are eating the right or wrong things. I thought I would do good one day and ordered a small burger and fries from a local pub. I looked up the calories for the 'small' burger and fries and it was over 800!! I had no idea. .So just knowing what you put in your body will help too!

Let us know how it goes ok? I wish you all the best of luck!
  • janetrene
    janetrene Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred! It is great and all you need is a couple of 5 lb weights. There are 3 levels on this DVD and you get cardio and strength without overdoing it! It is great for those days you can't get out. Also you can move on to the next level when you want. I do it on the days I can't or don't feel like hitting the gym. Good luck!
  • Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That's a great start!! MFP is great for support and motivation. You should try to find a workout buddy in your area, because you always work harder when you have someone else to motivate you :)
  • jasonsurmillon
    jasonsurmillon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm just really getting started, too..February 1st was my new beginning! Good luck, add me if you want...extra support and motivation is always welcome!
    If you have Netflix they have a lot of excercise videos available for streaming, good for mixing it up and not getting bored. I like to walk outside when the weather is good enough, but with winter it's hard so I was happy to see everything Netflix had to offer. I did Jillian's 30 Day Shred but it wasn't working for me, I think I was getting to lacks with it, but will probably add it into the mix.
  • adams4101
    adams4101 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar sitation, except I am 29 and have 4 kids. I joined a gym, but couldn't really afford it and didn't have the time with everything I have to do with my kids. I started doing the crunch videos on netflix, pilates, and yoga. My knees started giving me a lot of pain, and I was getting kind of bored, so I uped my netflix membership and today I got Jillians 30 day shred and the samson's three mile walk. I did both today, and got a really awesome workout. Both of these dvd's combine stregth with cardio which is the fastest way to get results. I went to the gym for 3 months and only lost 5 lbs. I've lost 30 lbs. since I started the home workouts in November! As long as you stay under your calorie goal and work out atleast three days a week, I think you will see result. You really want to find something you really enjoy. I don't like walking or running outside, I'm really self conscious and it seems like such a chore. Once you find something you actually like doing, you will start seeing a difference.
  • MissMo36
    Options
    This is my first day on here too. I also live in Wisconsin and find it very difficult to get outside to go for walks/bike rides etc.
    I have a cardio kickbox video that I bought for my mom a really long time ago and found myself using it more than her. But since it is a video, it keeps me active inside when there is snow outside! Add me if you'd like, I'd love to bounce around Wisconsin wonderland activity ideas with you.