Low calorie diet? Or low carb diet?

which one is better? Or which do you prefer?

Replies

• ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    Low carb diet, or carbs when I feel I need them :tongue:
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Very much prefer counting caloies! If I deprive myself of something it makes me want it more. I LOVE bread and pasta and want it in my diet. I did swich to whole grain though
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    which one is better? Or which do you prefer?

Define better? Personally I wouldn't do either, you can create a moderate deficit and still eat carbs and lose just fine.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Not too low on either.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    Actually both give identical results on a calorie for calorie basis. If by consuming lower carbs you stave off sugar cravings if you have them, which results in better satiety and it fits into your lifestyle, then you'll probably have more success with it, otherwise it doesn't matter.
  • shannonmelek
    shannonmelek Posts: 34 Member

I feel the same way I counted my carbs before in a former diet and saw good results, calorie counting im not seeing much results.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I'm not sure what "low" means in this conversation, but why would you want either??? Your body needs both, in healthy balance with fats and protein.
  • jacksonpt

I feel the same way I counted my carbs before in a former diet and saw good results, calorie counting im not seeing much results.

Was it the low carbs that gave you success, or other factors? Is it the calories that are causing you to not see results, or the types of calories.

If you keep total cals the same and reduce carbs, you necessarily increase fat and/or protein (in most cases both). The increase in protein is a VERY GOOD thing for most people.

If you reduce carbs and as a result reduce cals, are you seeing results because you cut carbs, or because you cut total cals?
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    For some people, NOT EVERYONE, low carb works much better. I am one of them. You could try it and see if it works for you.
  • jacksonpt
    For some people, NOT EVERYONE, low carb works much better. I am one of them. You could try it and see if it works for you.

And I'll ask you the same question... is it really the low carbs that "work"?

Did you keep your total cals the same when you went low cal? If so, I assume in increased protein and fats? Could that be why you had success? If not, then could the success actually be from the fewer total cals?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    According to studies, yes. Low-carb diets tend to lead to better weight loss compared to low fat diets (which are also high carb).

That's because protein and fats are more satiating than carbs so most people aren't as hungry.

To answer the OPs question: you have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. So eating low carb but not counting calories only works if your calories in naturally stay lower than your calories burned. So to some extent you need both. But eating a lot less carbs than the so-called experts call for works a lot better for keeping your calories low enough to lose weight IME.

It also depends on whether or not you are insulin resistant. If you are, then too many carbs will slow your weight loss disproportionately to the amount of calories they have because your insulin response to them will lower your metabolism.
  • agentscully514

Did you keep your total cals the same when you went low cal? If so, I assume in increased protein and fats? Could that be why you had success? If not, then could the success actually be from the fewer total cals?

Absolutely yes. I am insulin resistant. I CANNOT lose weight if I reduce calories without reducing carbs. I lose more weight on 1500 calories a day low carb than on 1200 low cal.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    I've tried both and I was more successful and able to keep it up with low calorie. Low carb I can do for a bit at a time but I can never manage it long term...
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    I just watch my calories and stay in my carb allowance. If I go over some it doesn't bother me. I run and I need my carbs for energy.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    I was a type 2 until I drastically reduced carbs. I do both. Low carbs and 1500 calories a day.

Works great for me. I get monthly blood work done, numbers are incredible. Cholesterol dropped to 155 total without drugs. normal BP, no diabetes drugs anymore.
  • Low carb for sure!! Then you can eat lots of meat and thats what I love!!
  • I've done both. Yes, the low carb got me results..I couldn't stick with it and ended up gaining more than I had in years. Right now I am just eating healthy. Paying attention to nutrient rich foods that are also low in calories. This is working so much better than any other way I have done in the past. Good Luck!!
  • I'm gonna try healthy carbs in the morning and tapper off by the end of the night for intense not many carbs for dinner. cause I'm not doing as much moving at night. has anyone done this any advise?
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    I have PCOS so for me the answer is low carb as that's what crucial with PCOS. Having said that I struggle (not on purpose!) to reach 1200 most days so in reality I'm doing both at the moment, though only the low carb one is intentional.
  • agentscully514
    my advice, honestly, is do that in reverse. From years of experience, I do better if I eat less carbs in the morning and more in the evening. It keeps my insulin and blood sugar even much better if I do it that way.
    I'm gonna try healthy carbs in the morning and tapper off by the end of the night for intense not many carbs for dinner. cause I'm not doing as much moving at night. has anyone done this any advise?