Low calorie diet? Or low carb diet?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    And I'll ask you the same question... is it really the low carbs that "work"?
    According to studies, yes. Low-carb diets tend to lead to better weight loss compared to low fat diets (which are also high carb).

That's because protein and fats are more satiating than carbs so most people aren't as hungry.

So is it the low carbs that work or the increase fat/protein that works?

Maybe it's semantics, but I'd rather see people going on high protein diets than low carb diets, even if at the end of the day they are eating the same thing either way.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    For some people, NOT EVERYONE, low carb works much better. I am one of them. You could try it and see if it works for you.

And I'll ask you the same question... is it really the low carbs that "work"?

Did you keep your total cals the same when you went low cal? If so, I assume in increased protein and fats? Could that be why you had success? If not, then could the success actually be from the fewer total cals?

Absolutely yes. I am insulin resistant. I CANNOT lose weight if I reduce calories without reducing carbs. I lose more weight on 1500 calories a day low carb than on 1200 low cal.
    Then you are a special case. Offering advice without disclosing this can be considered, at the very least, misleading.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I'm gonna try healthy carbs in the morning and tapper off by the end of the night for intense not many carbs for dinner. cause I'm not doing as much moving at night. has anyone done this any advise?
    This is a very old school, tried and true approach. My girlfriend and I are working with a nutritionist/trainer and he suggested a very similar approach for her.
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    OK! Of all the reading I've done I've come to the conclusion that very restrictive carbs-like Atkins-can make you drop weight quicker-but as you get close to goal weight and keep up a good exercise routine I don't think that is practical to maintain. As you eat a balanced healthy diet (as every dietician who has counseled diabetics will tell you) combined with exercise, your body becomes more efficient. So.... carbs, calories, proteins, and yes even good fats combine to do the work our bodies were designed to do. If you lose weight eating all these in moderation, I would imagine it would be easier to keep the weight off after you have reached your goal. Just my opinion.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I don't know which one works better, or if there is a difference, but I do know that by lowering the amount of carbs (and sugar, natural or otherwise) I consume and increasing the amount of protein I eat, I am losing weight. Yeah, my calories are probably lower, as a bonus, but I find it easier to manage than specifically focusing on my calorie count.

I find if I eat more carbs, like pasta and bread, I crave them more, as well as sweets. I don't care if it's all in my head either, cuz I have had to change the way I think about food, to break my unreasonable and crazy addiction to it. Now I feel more in control. So it's working. (For me).
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Absolutely yes. I am insulin resistant. I CANNOT lose weight if I reduce calories without reducing carbs. I lose more weight on 1500 calories a day low carb than on 1200 low cal.
    Then you are a special case. Offering advice without disclosing this can be considered, at the very least, misleading.

If insulin resistance were rare, this would be true, however, if you look around this site, there are MANY members who have insulin resistance and/or PCOS. and that is why I said low carb is best for SOME people. A lot more people than you seem to think.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

If insulin resistance were rare, this would be true, however, if you look around this site, there are MANY members who have insulin resistance and/or PCOS. and that is why I said low carb is best for SOME people. A lot more people than you seem to think.

Yes it is fairly common. But it is not the rule. Is it even the majority?

By posting a recommendation based on your success without giving context to your success, you in effect, give bad advice to people without insulin resistance problems.

I don't have ANY problem with you giving advice or with what that advice is. My issues is the fact that it's not qualified.
  • agentscully514
    Options

By posting a recommendation based on your success without giving context to your success, you in effect, give bad advice to people without insulin resistance problems.

I don't have ANY problem with you giving advice or with what that advice is. My issues is the fact that it's not qualified.

It seems to me you were giving unqualified advice yourself.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body. I dont do low calorie..but I do low carbs...because I have insulin resistance..so restricting carbs to only fruits and veggies helps me tremendously..and if I do eat grains..I do the gluten free stuff..my body thanks me

You have to play around to see what works for you...
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I guess you could make that argument... but it's much safer to assume, when no context is given, that the advice is based on the "norm", for lack of a better word.

So yes... when I give advice, I guess I'm assuming that people who read it will assume I don't have any special health issues/concerns governing my advice. You can't say that about your advice. And if you're giving advice based on a health issue, who's to say what issue it is?
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb a few years ago, I initially lost weight quickly but couldn't keep it up. I got so sick of eating certain things that I totally lost my appetite for the allowed food couldn't eat properly. I must have ended up on way less than 800 cals a day! I also got terrible leg cramps every night.
    I have PCOS and it was recommended to me to try low carb to help with insulin resistance. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. The 2 things that have worked for me are the Slimming World diet and calorie control. Everything in moderation.
  • tobemeagain518
    Options
    Very much prefer counting caloies! If I deprive myself of something it makes me want it more. I LOVE bread and pasta and want it in my diet. I did swich to whole grain though

I love pasta and bread too- I have been slowly trading everything out for whole grains but I am not sure about whole grain pasta-does it takes the same? Do you have one that you perfer?
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that the OP wasn't asking for advice, she was asking for opinions, so I don't see why someone is on here putting down other peoples opinions. She asked what we "preferred" and here is what I prefer :)

I think that calories matter, and that you should def keep them in check, but I believe that some people do better with low carb diets. Including me. I am insulin resistance, which i believe was caused from overeating processed crap my whole life. and when I say low carb, i mean i stick to 100 or below, and when i have lost all my weight i will move up to 150. and i don't eat grains or sugar. So yes, you can call me paleo/primal, whatever you want to title it. But I know that I feel awesome eating meats, fats, fruits, and veggies. and I'm losing weight as a plus!
  • drop30lbs
    drop30lbs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In the past I have always had good weight loss with low carb. I tried low calorie this time and have many weeks where I don't lose an ounce even though my calories are lower. I have to assume that I am insulin resistant and my body prefers low carb to low calorie.
  • agentscully514
    Options

I guess you could make that argument... but it's much safer to assume, when no context is given, that the advice is based on the "norm", for lack of a better word.

So yes... when I give advice, I guess I'm assuming that people who read it will assume I don't have any special health issues/concerns governing my advice. You can't say that about your advice. And if you're giving advice based on a health issue, who's to say what issue it is?

The way you were discussing low carb diets made it sound as if you think they are bad for everyone. I just wanted to bring up the fact that some people need it, that's all. Maybe I should have spelled out my health history in the first post, but I thought I covered it by saying "some people, not everyone". either way, I don't think it merited an attack.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    my advice, honestly, is do that in reverse. From years of experience, I do better if I eat less carbs in the morning and more in the evening. It keeps my insulin and blood sugar even much better if I do it that way.
    I'm gonna try healthy carbs in the morning and tapper off by the end of the night for intense not many carbs for dinner. cause I'm not doing as much moving at night. has anyone done this any advise?

same here. I eat my carbs in the evening. AM carbs send my blood sugar way up and it doesn't take much.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I do agree that to lose weight calories matter. But if you drop the carbs and increase your protein and healthy fats (not commercial PUFA oils but butter, coconut oil, olive oil, animal fat) you won't have to worry about calories because carbs keep you hungry and wanting more every couple of hours. Protein and fat will keep you full and satisfied for much longer - it's a spontaneous restriction of calories. It happens without trying.

Went from 130-ish to 120.4 in 6 months doing it the conventional way. Went from 120.4 to 110.6 in four months doing it the Primal Blueprint way. The conventional way consisted of having to weigh and log food and count calories ALL DAY. I had to eat every few hours because I was constantly hungry (i.e. had to get my carb "fix" every couple of hours). A bowl of oatmeal and an apple had me shaking like a leaf 90 minutes later and I was running to the cafeteria for more food. After 6 months I was sick of it. My entire day revolved around food. And then when I got home my evenings revolved around food and exercise.
    And now I'm not only maintaining my weight without trying (the lowest it has been since before puberty) I have amazing energy, I sleep better, every digestive issue I had (from one end to the other) went away. My eczema is gone. My face doesn't get oily anymore and I don't get zits anymore - I shouldn't at my age. My belly is gone (P90X couldn't take care of this and this is something I've had my entire life). I now have a 26" waist. I can eat as much fat as I want and not gain. I can eat as much protein as I want and not gain. I no longer retain water during TOM. My low-back/sciatica pain is gone. I do very little exercise to stay fit (once again Primal Blueprint Fitness). Stopped drinking milk and all my sinus/ear issues are gone. I can have a huge dinner at 8pm and not have it affect me or my weight.

Grains contain exorphins which are morphine-like compounds (not to mention antinutrients and toxins). Sugar travels the same brain pathways as opiate drugs (heroin).

If you want to lose weight then restrict your calories. But if you want to lose weight, maintain weight, get healthy and not have to suffer a downward spiral of health that consists of accumulating prescriptions then go Primal.
    (and I don't mean low carb processed food. You must eat real, whole food).

I don't eat fat in moderation at all. I enjoy red wine almost every evening. I get to drench my veggies in butter or coconut oil. I get to eat uncured bacon and eggs for breakfast. I get to eat 85% dark chocolate with my morning coffee. I can't eat red, yellow, or orange peppers with my eggs anymore because they taste like candy now.

And yes I do have insulin resistance. It's a normal, wanted physiological insulin resistance - not a diabetic insulin resistance. You see my body now prefers fat as it's main source of fuel. It has no need for glucose so I have to fight to get it to use glucose. The only things in the body that need actual glucose are red blood cells - that's it. Your body will convert excess dietary protein into glucose if it needs to. The brain and heart actually run better on ketones.

You get to eat more eating low-carb, too.
    Wow, I'm hungry. I think I'll go down a can of coconut milk (600 calories and 55g of fat, 50g saturated fat). I'll be bouncing off the walls in an hour and this will fuel my strength workout this evening. Can't wait!!
  • agentscully514
    Options
    hpsnickers, thanks for your post. I have not tried paleo yet, but I'm very interested in learning more. I've had results similar to yours following strict low-carb (not paleo), but paleo sounds like somehting I'd enjoy eating more.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    "studies show...."

Tell me what you believe about nutrition, weight loss and fitness and I'll find a study that backs it up.
  • darkandthewild
    Options
    Personally I feel like counting calories is much easier for both short and long term goals. I did Atkins and South Beach and lost weight, but ballooned right back up once I stopped.