Fussy eaters

Options
Does anyone have a fussy eater in their family? I live with my 15 yr old son, who is a fantastic eater. He eats all veggies and even likes fish! On the other hand, my partner of four years does not like many veggies, no fish, basicly only wants the good old meat and three veg, meat potates carrots peas.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get around fussy eaters and not have to cook 2 different evening meals??

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I cook for the majority: the lone grazer cooks for himself. It keeps peace, mostly, and keeps me from getting my feelings hurt.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a fussy eater in their family? I live with my 15 yr old son, who is a fantastic eater. He eats all veggies and even likes fish! On the other hand, my partner of four years does not like many veggies, no fish, basicly only wants the good old meat and three veg, meat potates carrots peas.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get around fussy eaters and not have to cook 2 different evening meals??

Uhhh.... so my DH was a fussy eater. I informed him that he could cook his own dinner if he didn't like what i made. I only make one dinner. He can eat it or not-- that is the same thing I tell my 5.5 year old and 2.5 year old when they start to kick up a fuss during a meal-- they are more than welcome to cook for themselves. Needless to say, no one else bother's to cook (more than once in a blue moon).
  • sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i am probably the fussiest eater on the planet. i hate pretty much all vegetables, all fruits. i dont like red meat, seafood, or pork. I pretty much eat the same things all the time in different versions but I am ok with that lol.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    umm...make him cook his own meals?

My SO loves meat, potatoes, pasta/rice, and bread for his meals. He was the one that wanted to 'get in shape' but I am the one who is working out every day and eating healthy.

If you work, clean AND cook, then in all honesty, you shouldn't have to cater to his 'wants'. There are days where SO will agree to eating healthier (this took YEARS mind you), but the days he wants a big huge fat laden meal, I make myself a veggie salad, or cook a salmon patty.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also, check out the sneaky chef--it's so cool!! You can 'sneak' all kinds of veggies into pasta sauce, cheese sauce, etc, etc
    Good luck!
    PS I'm picky, too-but I cook, so I'm all set!!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    My son has sensory issues, he is so picky...everything has to be totally plain....he is almost 13 and is tiny for his age. I end up making 3 dinners a night!
  • KLDunford
    Options
    I have the same issue with my 3 year old with veggies/new foods/foods he doesn't like...

My Rule...

Eat your age..(got it from my mom).

Example, last night we had beef stew, he didn't want to eat so I say, you need to eat at least 3 carrots, 3 potatoes, & 3 pieces of meat then I would give some bread.. Especially knowing if I gave him bread he would fill up on that first.. Sometimes if I can Ill sneak more onto his plate, only if I know if I can get away with it.
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am the fussy eater in our house. lol Well me and my son. I'm like the 15 yo. I really enjoy veggies and lean meats. I can't imagine eating things like spam. blech! My son on the other hand doesn't eat veggies. It's so frustrating.
  • Byn73
    Byn73 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the replys all :)

I love the age rule, what a great idea for getting kids to eat.

I think my man will be served what me and my son have, or he makes his own!