Arm fat. :I

Options
I'm pretty self-conscious about my arms and it seems like no matter what I do that's the one area that doesn't want to shrink. I need some exercises that can help with upper arm flab- any suggestions? Does lifting weights help? I don't have any weights but I do have a big textbook....:D

Replies

• CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm working out with Jillian Michaels' DVDs and the one No More Trouble Zones is perfect. I'm over 50 and already lost 43 lbs, my arms werre kind of...ugly, loose...
    With the exercises on this DVD I got my arms and bum in shape.
    Squat position, tush out, grab your weights, palms show down to floor and then lift your arms as high as possible (to the wall behind you), then slightly down again but NEVER passing your hips, up again. You will feel the pain in this after 2 reps of 15 :wink:
    Next one is: squat position, arms (with weights of course) pulled in as if you wanted to get the weights into your arm pit. The palms facing your body. From here move hands backwards as high as possible and back to the arm pits again. You should feel the muscles burning afterwards. But these 2 exercises helped me getting rid of all the wobbly bits at the back of my arms :bigsmile:
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Stand erect and hold the big book behind your head, like it was a pillow if you were lying down. Have your elbows pointing upward -- as high as you can get them.
    Without moving your elbows ( except to bend them ), raise the book overhead.
    Now, your arms should be going almost straight up.
    Hold for a second, then lower the book to its initial position behind your head.
    Try to move only your hands. keep your elbows at the same height throughout the exercise.
    Repeat at least 15 times.
    Rest for a minute, then do 15 more.
    After several days, you'll find you need to use 2 books.
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    how many times you did this reps??? sounds like it would work! i need help on my arms as well!
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My arms are such a problem area too! Aside from gym clothes, I own nothing sleeveless; just too self conscious ):
    The Jillian exercises are great - so are the ones from the 30DS, really helpful. I find that tricep dips and push ups are great too! Try doing the 100 push ups program, you start doing one push up a day, but gradually increase your strength. Plus push ups are great for those weird bits between you armpits and boobs haha :3 no more side boob fat! tricep dips are the best for getting rid of wobbly arms, I find. just 10 or 20 a day, and you feel the difference fast.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    how many times you did this reps??? sounds like it would work! i need help on my arms as well!

I used weights of 2lbs in the beginning and did each exercise 15 times, 2 reps/day.
    I do them more frequently now with heavier weights (3lbs). I'd say 20 times, 5-6 reps/day, whenever I have time and come across the weights :happy:
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite trainer, and she just posted these exercises yesterday. I'm sure you could use a soup can or something in place of the weight for the one exercise.

http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-6676049.html
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Just use your own body weight...push ups, planks, and tricep dips are wonderful for toning arms and back...so them against a wall, on a step, or on the floor...mix it up...
  • paignt
    paignt Posts: 15
    Options
    From what I've looked into, and I could be wrong about it, if you want to make your arms thinner, I'd suggest lifting. Lifting weights will help strengthen and tone your muscles, so that instead of flab, you'll have some nice definition. You won't become as muscular as a bodybuilder, but you might be able to lose fat in that area. It also helps to add more protein to your diet, the protein will help in muscle building and muscle healing. So I would suggest looking into lifting exercises for your arms and see if anything appeals to you. I believe it's also recommended that if you do decide to lift weights, you should do it every other day, to give your arms a full day to rest before working them again.
    I hope this info was helpful! :)
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    interesting! bump
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, try the (free) Nike Training Club app. It has probably hundreds of work outs for all body parts (and once you train enough, you can unlock new bonus work outs along the way). It's gonna make you sweat. I started it 2 weeks ago and my arms are getting thinner already (4-5 work outs/week) :)
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! My arms have always been especially flabby for my size, and after losing 25 lbs (and plenty more to go), they only seem to get flabbier! I've started doing strength but I'm looking for all the help I can get
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bump...ditto on wobbly 'bingo wing' arms martyx
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, try the (free) Nike Training Club app. It has probably hundreds of work outs for all body parts (and once you train enough, you can unlock new bonus work outs along the way). It's gonna make you sweat. I started it 2 weeks ago and my arms are getting thinner already (4-5 work outs/week) :)

Can't find this for my android phone. Keeps coming up with other apps for stress relief etc.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I have 3lb weights that I lift every morning. Also resistance training and push ups, planks etc. My arms look so much better in 3 weeks I've been doing all this everyday. :-)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. You need to build some muscle. You will not do this lifting books or 2lb weights.
  • NoriDupuis
    NoriDupuis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    take zumba or do back curls with weights ( I us to use heavy cans of tomatos or soup any were from 2 to 5 bls should do the trick) if ur looking to tone which will make this area look small but you can loss weight from one area
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    take zumba or do back curls with weights ( I us to use heavy cans of tomatos or soup any were from 2 to 5 bls should do the trick) if ur looking to tone which will make this area look small but you can loss weight from one area

no you can't.
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options

no you can't.
    I think that line might have been a typo. I'm guessing, but I think it was meant to read "but you can't lose weight from one area." I hope so at least. :)

Either way, I agree that you can't, but I do love the suggestions on here for toning and getting some muscle. Thanks for the post!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight and you will eventually lose it in your arms as well. Building muscle in your arms won't change how much fat is there, but it will make your arms stronger.