Foods to feel full or stave off hunger pangs

Options
I've been using MFP for a week now, and am managing to lose some weight. However, every now and then I get hunger pangs, a feeling that I must nibble on something. What foods are the best to feel full for longer and low in calories too?

Replies

• lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like to eat spinach cooked with a little bit of light butter
  • Jackie218
    Jackie218 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I try to eat something that is high in fiber when i feel this way.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    water, proteins and fiber.

Most hunger pangs are dehydration...make sure you're drinking enough water.
  • FarmerNikki
    Options
    I like whole almond 100 calorie packs, greek yogurt sweetened with a little bit of honey, fruit, or steamed veggies seasoned with something spicy
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    protein.
  • lizzle34
    Options
    I tend to eat a carrot and drink some water if I am hungry in between meals. After work, just before dinner is my danger zone so I find something healthy and after all that chewing it feels like you've eaten loads!
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    -a glass of milk is very filling and gives you your added dairy for the day
    -I sometimes heat a box of frozen veggie to keep me until the next meal
    -I usually hit that on my drive home so I eat an apple and that does it for me, then I eat less dinner
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Like others who have posted, anything high in protein or fiber will help keep you fuller. In terms of snacks I use that help sustain me, I like things like carrots and hummus, fiber one bars (though they are a bit high in sugar), protein shakes, cottage cheese cups, etc.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Vegetables. Broccoli and courgettes are both very low in cals but very filling. Also cucumber.
  • maryelizabeth41
    Options
    what are courgettes? i'm always looking to try a new veg.
  • cherry_blossom55
    Options
    I agree with protein, but I would also add make sure they are really sustaining calories. A piece of toast with butter/margarin or jam will have more calories and be less filling than a piece of toast with light peanut butter.

When I get hunger pangs some filling snacks I like are Rice and beans, it's odd for a snack but will keep you full for hours. An apple sliced with a tablespoon of peanut butter (carb+protein!). A fruit smoothie containing only fruit and soymilk (or regular milk) and maybe some protein powder, but no yogurt, juice, etc. veggies and humus (make your own hummus by blending chickpeas with garlic, lemon or lime juice, salt, and tahini if you have it, it's a very healthy dip!!)

And make sure any time you have a snack you also have a glass of water first. You're much less likely to overeat :)

GOOD LUCK!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    protein + non-starchy vegetables.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Zucchini to Americans and Italians!
  • penmosha
    penmosha Posts: 132 Member
    Options

you may know them as zuccinni - in the uk they are called courgettes
  • DDWicked
    DDWicked Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A spoonful of peanut butter.
  • Carolyn_B
    Carolyn_B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorites are apples or hard boiled eggs. I always feel fuller and they are low calorie.
  • beccasalo
    Options
    I recently started drinking green tea twice a day and I've found that it has really helped control my hunger. There's one called Blueberry Slim by Yogi that I like. I'll have one cup after breakfast and another after lunch. I no longer feel the urge to snack between meals.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit Diabetic Friendly Yogurt. 50 cal/3 carbs.
    About 7 raw almonds. 45 cal.
    Carrots.
    A salad with Walden's Calorie-Free dressing.
    Egg Beaters
    Laughing Cow Baby Bel Light Cheese round, 50 cals.
    An Atkins protein bar.
    Sugar-Free Jello

P.S. I have a snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. On purpose. I budget them.
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    I have found that about 8 almonds helps reduce the hunger pangs. Probably the healthy fats and a wee bit of protein.
  • Deka61
    Deka61 Posts: 74
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips, I'm definitely going try them.