Fasting?

Options
I hear conflicting ideas about fasting and I'm wondering what everyone thinks. Some people say that intermittent fasting, where you fast one day and eat normally the next, can be very good for the body by allowing it to rest and detoxify itself every other day. However, a lot of other people say that it will wreck your metabolism.

Does anybody know which of these is true?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I hear conflicting ideas about fasting and I'm wondering what everyone thinks. Some people say that intermittent fasting, where you fast one day and eat normally the next, can be very good for the body by allowing it to rest and detoxify itself every other day. However, a lot of other people say that it will wreck your metabolism.

Does anybody know which of these is true?

Both are false.

Your body detoxifies itself and doesn't need external gimmicks to accomplish this, such as fasting or juicing or whatever.

Fasting (short term fasts) will not do any metabolic harm.

www.leangains.com for a good fasting protocol.
  • TeenyBallerinee
    Options
    Thanks! I was so confused. I think fasting for this weekend should be pretty safe then. Thanks for the link, too!
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I think fasting for this weekend should be pretty safe then.

What is your motive for fasting for an entire weekend?
  • TeenyBallerinee
    Options
    I've never fasted more than 36 hours, but I've read that the best benefits of fasting usually only come after the third day. I don't know if that's true, but you never know until you try!
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I've never fasted more than 36 hours, but I've read that the best benefits of fasting usually only come after the third day. I don't know if that's true, but you never know until you try!

I've heard the exact opposite. 72 hours of fasting is where you actually will have metabolism issues.

I would suggest not doing this.

Also, what is your motive for doing this? What are you trying to accomplish?
  • TeenyBallerinee
    Options
    I'd like to see what it's like, seeing as I've never done it for more than a day and a half. And if it won't destroy my metabolism, I'm hoping that fasting with some light exercise every once in a while might help out with weight loss, or at least counteract some of the binges. As long as it's healthy, of course.
  • monty_williams
    Options
    I've been doing Lean Gains 16/8 Intermittent Fasting for a year (as of Feb 7), and have lost 73 lbs, BF went from 35% to current 15%, waist 42 to 32, while building LBM. My key lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, row, chinup, etc) have all increased, some as much as 50%/100lbs +.

My feeding period is from Noon to 8pm, but I usually finish around 7pm, then I fast until Noon the next day, only consuming water, coffee (no sugar or cream) and green tea. I eat a 500-600 calorie lunch of lean proteins and vegetables, along with some complex carbs. I have a pre-workout snack around 200 calories, and then post-workout feast around 800-1000 calories of more lean protein and vegetables and complex carbs, and finish off the night with a snack, usually greek yogurt with casein protein powder with fruit, almond, and unsweetened almond milk (protein fluff).

I love this protocol. I've never been much of a breakfast eater and like a big dinner. I don't have to worry about carrying around Rubbermaid containers of food so I can eat every 3 hours and if I want to go out or order pizza, there are plenty of calories/macros available at the end of the day for an occassional splurge, i.e. a normal part of life. It makes it easy to meet your calorie and macro goals while leaving you satiated and the flexibility allows you to lead a normal social/family life without diet interference.

As for the metabolism concerns, fasting actually increases your metabolism for the first 24 hours or so due to the catecholamines released by your body. Your metabolism doesn't start to "slow down" until you fast beyond about 2 days and muscle catabolism usually doesn't begin until about the third day.

I'm currently recomping to get my BF down to around 10% on 1850 cals/day, 220+ g protein, 60g fat and around 100g carbs and feel very satisfied. I work out with heavy weights (at least for me) 3-4 times per week on key compund exercises - bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press, rows, and chinups and cardio for 30 minutes 2x per week.