Shock and awwwwww, man! NEVER AGAIN - a lesson learned

Options
Starting 4th week, 14 lbs down, lots of my family participating in this great program. Sharing a lesson learned in checking before you eat.

Had to do a business lunch meeting yesterday, and figured I'd find something that looked reasonable on the menu at Champps. Rather than check MFP app while with colleagues. I tried to chose based on "lite" verbiage. Big mistake!

Later, shocked and awwwww, man! A "Side Salad" + Bleu Cheese Dressing + "Lite Portion" of Tortellini = how many calories? wait for it, wait for it!!! 1744 Calories, which would take me over 4 HOURS of treadmill to work off!!!! arrgghhhhh. Never again, Champps!

So, today, back to normality! And sharing what may be an obvious lesson to many, to "look before you order" vs. trust the helpful menu. Have a great day!

15084715.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No worries, it will be o.k. tomorrow is another day..:smile:
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yep, I did that, now I look at the nutrition online before I go to the restaurant!
  • IfICanLoseIt
    IfICanLoseIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Discovering the things we do that work to sabotage us is part of the journey. Great discovery! Congratulations!
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    HOLY COW. That is just OUTRAGEOUS. :( Thanks for sharing, I would have thought that would be a decent meal too.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    TFS. sorry about that! whoa that is crazy and so not worth it!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,003 Member
    Options
    Inconceivable.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've found that, surprisingly, at places like that a hamburger is often the best option. 1/3lb, no cheese, no mayo is only about 600 calories. And order it without fries.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I hate when that happens. It also bums me out when the food isn't even good enough to be worth the calorie splurge. lol
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! Makes me wonder what the "normal portion" contains!
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That is beyond crazy. see, here in the UK, there are a lot of restaurants that will show the calories on the menu... wtg I say ^^
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    My standby at Champps:

Turkey burger, no mayo, no cheese, extra tomato
    Fresh fruit for the side

I think it's about 500
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat below TDEE daily you lose weight.
    If you have been eating below TDEE for a while now and you have a 1700 calorie meal, congratz on discovering the health benefits and metabolism boosting effects of having this kind of meal!
    Enjoy it!

I stopped eating at Cheesecake Factory because their "lite" version of a sandwich had more sodium and saturated fat than anything ive seen!
    Its a great cheat meal though!

I love learning these lessons.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing...in a case like that if you don't know but you still want to order, just swapping out the salad dressing for something 0 calorie or low fat would probably save you a fair number of calories.

Wonder how many people do the same thing...think they're eating "light" when they're not.

Some restaurants now have the heart healthy menu items, with calories, fat, etc. right in the menu.
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    Options
    Aww man, that sucks, but its happened to the best of us. You live and you learn
  • bas1955
    bas1955 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The answer is.........a regular portion is 2292 calories, 153 fat, 142 carb, 92 protein - Can almost hear the body cry in protest!
  • magiale05
    Options
    Totally have been there. I chose what I thought was a "healthy" option from The Green Turtle when I decided on the turkey burger. Over 800 calories! I was shocked.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    But now you KNOW! And KNOWING really is half the battle!
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I hate when that happens. It also bums me out when the food isn't even good enough to be worth the calorie splurge. lol

I have found that alot in the past month. :grumble:
  • karen0080
    Options
    Thanks for the great info. I did the same last week at Cracker Barrel when I went out with some friends. They don't even list nutrition info on their website. I'm so afraid of them now.
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That's a wake up call!

I just started checking the calorie count before going out. My favorite sandwich at Corner Bakery (and I only eat half) is less than a chicken salad! Go figure.

Depressing..actually!