Do People Get Annoyed With You Because You Count Calories?

Options

Replies

• PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do notice that people get very weird when someone who is not "big" starts to look at what they eat. I am not overweight but use this app/site to maintain my weight and eat healthier. I can not tell you how many lectures I have gotten for counting calories and refusing to eat certain foods because of how unhealthy they are.

Everyone I work with has been less than supportive of this healthy change and I think a lot of it has to do with their lack of commitment to do it for themselves. Don't let it get you down. You do this for you because it is healthy and because you care about yourself and let them worry about themselves.

Yes, exactly.

I lost 45 pounds and now everyone is all, "OK! You're done, now stop counting calories, stop being "obsessed" with what you eat. You can eat "normally" again!"

But I try to explain that's how I got fat in the first place. They just don't get it.

I think because they feel they could never do something like this for themselves, they get very annoyed at my for being strict with myself.
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do notice that people get very weird when someone who is not "big" starts to look at what they eat. I am not overweight but use this app/site to maintain my weight and eat healthier. I can not tell you how many lectures I have gotten for counting calories and refusing to eat certain foods because of how unhealthy they are.

Everyone I work with has been less than supportive of this healthy change and I think a lot of it has to do with their lack of commitment to do it for themselves. Don't let it get you down. You do this for you because it is healthy and because you care about yourself and let them worry about themselves.

You just made my day!! I am fat, but if I'd had tools like this when I was a younger 103 lb hotty, maybe I wouldn't have gotten to this point. Making sure you eat healthy, no matter what your size is very important! I don't think I'll ever get to a point I don't have to watch, because once I do, I start giving in to cravings and the scales go the wrong way.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, you inspire me :happy:
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've found this to be the case. Tracking food for me through MFP has really helped me curb my snacking because I'm accountable for every calorie I put in my mouth. Therefore, I track EVERYTHING. I ate a cookie and grabbed my phone to enter the calories in the app. A few friends told me I was neurotic and didn't need to be so nuts about calorie counting. I also get that I'm already thin, so why am I counting calories? As if once I lose 25 pounds, I can go back to not tracking and just eat whatever I want. For me, this is going to be a lifelong thing.

So, just curious if other people have had this happen. I just brush it off and add my food, but I have trouble knowing how to respond to people who are critical that I track everything down, or who tell me that I'm already in shape so I don't need to keep track of my food.

-Jake-

Oh yeah -- my husband used to roll his eyes at me if he gave me a bite of his food and I'd whip out my phone to enter the data in. 61lbs [lighter] later, he isn't rolling his eyes anymore.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    For those who have people getting annoyed with you, maybe it's because you talk about ALL THE TIME. If you stop subjecting your friends/family/colleagues to your non-stop caloric musings, I'm sure everyone, especially you, will be much happier. :flowerforyou:
  • NanaMagoo
    NanaMagoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my grandma. all the time. shes like :pshhh, you and your damn calorie countin i'll never cook fer yer again!!

but my grandma has an eating disorder. shes annorexic. literally. so messed up. rofl
  • mimi10453
    mimi10453 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess it makes some people uncomfortable.....Well I let others know how many calories and sodium is in their food--only because I care : )
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Yup. My Aunt would told me in a way it was sorta compulsive. Funny thing is how she joined and lost 10 pounds herself...counting Calories...
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    People need to lighten up. I mean if everyone cared and kept a food diary, (mfp), then we wouldn't have the overweight problem in our country.
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I explained to a friend what I was doing and that I hoped to stay on track this time, he said you are obsessed enough so you should be fine......I was really upset as it felt like a criticism of me trying to change my life, not begin aware of what I put in my mouth is what got me in this mess in the first place so trying to be conscious of what I eat is a good thing I think
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    My family and my boyfriend do all the time... from my family I'm told that I'm obsessed and that I've already lost weight so I don't need to do it anymore... meanwhile I'm still overweight (just not AS overweight as before)... my mom also tries to sabotage me by cooking with full fat and telling me she "made it healthy for me"... meanwhile this is the woman who constantly tells me I'm fat and need to work on losing weight when I'm not trying to. (I also don't eat what she's made unless I have no other option.)

my bf also literally gets mad at me for being on mfp instead of paying attention to him.... but he's not jealous of my weight loss- he's very supportive but he's a total baby and constantly needs my attention lol
  • aelarek
    aelarek Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I thoroughly frustrate my husband when I count calories. He wants to go fast food, and " enjoy " it instead of me worrying how many calories I'm eating!
  • janetsnakehole
    janetsnakehole Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who never said anything to me but any time I posted online about losing weight he'd post on his blog about how calorie counting doesn't work. It was kind of passive aggressive, but I can't let it bother me because I've lost 20 lbs and got to buy smaller pants and fit into old shirts. Clearly something worked.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    my husband..he doesn't believe its calories that make you fat...I have no patience to argue with the man..so I just told him get over it and if you don't like it you are welcome to eat alone. I have no problem sitting with a book and eating my meals. Did it my whole life as a kid cause we never ate together...
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I don't know if people get annoyed with me, but I think they think I'm an idiot for eating burgers without the bun, but at the same time eating a huge salad loaded with fatty dressing.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    my family understands..im sure they get annoyed, but i never hear about it, so maybe they dont care..i only have 1 person who tries to get me to eat like a pig when we go to her house, but i think she may be mad i lost weight because i count calories, and she cant, but when she cooks, she is always having get togethers, so there is food for 20 people, and they never want the leftovers, so she tries to make everyone eat more..we just dont go over there anymore
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Next time someone says something, just say "this is how I stay in shape"
  • zoecb
    zoecb Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, and they can piss off! Lol.
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My mom gets aggravated when I wont eat things she makes because they have too much fat or starch in them. She says a little bit wont hurt me..... for her it is just a matter of pushing away from the table. She doesnt realize what it is like for someone who has a food dependence, and has to concentrate so hard on monitoring. For me, its a necessary part of my life to log my food, and I really dont mind.... its really what is making the difference with my weight loss success. So if people dont understand, its because they either dont have the same food problems, or they dont want to address their own problems.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Don't count calories in front of other people, it's boring
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I always get positive comments. Maybe its cuz I'm fat and they think I should be counting calories :laugh: