Do People Get Annoyed With You Because You Count Calories?

Options

Replies

• Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    YES.. mostly my family. This past weekend they were having a big breakfast at my mom's and i brought my own low calorie meal. it got me a few funny looks but it was dinner when I was measuring and entering in my phone that they seemed to get a little fusterated. Then they would ask me how many calories were in what they had. I guess that's when they started to go off on how i'm starving myself and not eating enough. Since their plates held more calories then I was allowed in a day
    Oh well, they can talk cause i'm looking AND feeling great!!
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It's so ****ing annoying.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Not for me, but I am very very discreet about the whole calorie counting thing.

I don't want to be "that guy", you know, counting calories, goes to a restaurant and is dissecting his food, asking about carbs and otherwise being such a pain the *** that I may as well be a beret wearing vegan. lol!

Seriously, there's no reason for other people to see me doing updates and carrying on.
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No body knows that I do but I have this one friend is is tall and slim so she can eat whatever she wants and has called me fat before and if I eat something around her, she goes oh you will get fat if you eat that, it does hurt, my boy friend thinks that I don't eat so he doesn't know that I count calories otherwise he would get very pissed off because he thinks that I'm to skinny.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes! I get these looks as if I am being absolutely ridiculous! I have to remind those around me that it is what seems to be helping shed pounds. I am not sure why people are negative or look at it as an extreme measure.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    No, they get annoyed/upset with me when I go on about how much I love whole foods & clean eating :D
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my boyfriend makes fun of me and makes snide comments about it and it really hurts my feelings. I am trying very hard to stick to this plan, and that makes it a little difficult. Support would be nice.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm always on my BlackBerry so most people probably haven't noticed... But a couple people I've told have scoffed at either my calorie intake (insinuating I'm starving myself - I am NEVER hungry. I have over 1600 cals a day) or the fact I'm trying to get fit at all.

People need to mind their own business. If it's what's healthy for you you're going to do whatever you need to
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my boyfriend makes fun of me and makes snide comments about it and it really hurts my feelings. I am trying very hard to stick to this plan, and that makes it a little difficult. Support would be nice.

That's really too bad :(
    A lack of support could make it easier to give up. Try not to listen to him
  • hrigsby
    hrigsby Posts: 31
    Options
    Sometimes I am asked, how can you do this? They would say they couldn't do it. Which either way I know I have to if I ever want to be a healthy weight.

I must thank you for your comment about being thin and still tracking. I unfortunately, have to admit that my husband, bless his heart, tracks his food too because I showed him the app and he was doing it out of support for me and to trim down a little. When he has a bad food day, I just tell him he is thin anyway and that he doesn't have to worry.... I think I say it because I am jealous that he weighs less then I do and that it is embarrassing to not only be older than him, but also wider. I think I need to be more sensitive to his needs as well. He had lost a lot of weight before and he too needs to make sure it doesn't come back.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Christmas Eve 2009, to name one, my Mom...after several glasses of vino... called me the loving name, "Calorie Ho", Lmao. I guess Santa & Calorie inspired?! We joke to this day about it. But I'm fine with being a Calorie Ho. :laugh:

After two years of doing this, everyone is pretty used to my calorie preoccupations. I mean, I sure didn't get to this size by eating without knowing caloric values, that's for certain!!!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    No. I keep it to myself. In fact, I'M the one getting annoyed. Whenever I go out to eat with my mom, she will just NOT SHUT UP about it! I don't care how many calories or carbs are in your meal!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yes I am OCD about counting everything... how many calories carbs etc... and then to top it off I count other ppls also...lol without them knowing it of course.... I do that because of wanting to see what other ppl are putting in their mouths and if its something i COULD possibly eat......but to me it keeps me going daily and keeps me on track.....
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Yeah... since this is generally all new to me... people ALWAYS get mad when I say I can't eat/drink certain things because I gave it up... for healthier choices.

I don't know why but people think I'm more annoying or trying to force my ways on them... which isn't true...

Oh well, when I get down to my goal weight they'll all be joining in my footsteps! :D
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend gets frustrated, and says I just need to relax, or he thinks that I don't want to spend time with him or something because I stop and count my calories after we go out.
  • SammyPacks
    Options

That's really too bad :(
    A lack of support could make it easier to give up. Try not to listen to him

That's so true... ugh... if he can't support you, then who can?

Well... WE ALL CAN OF COURSE :D

Don't give up and whenever I feel down about trying to stick to my plan... I always look through the Success Stories. :P
  • SammyPacks
    Options
    Besides...you'd think people would be happy for you because your making healthy choices? But no... instead they get angry for some reason. I have no idea why. I think they believe they can eat whatever and lose weight solely through exercise. Though that may be the case for a few of my friends... I am not so blessed with a high metabolism so I have to work extra hard when it comes to eating better.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i know..people get annoyed with me because of that. because they view me as being in shape and thin. i've even had a woman behind me in line for coffee mention to me that i didnt have to worry about calories, why am i ordering low fat/low cal version of the drink. i am like..uh how do you think i got like this? and um ya i want to STAY this way too. ya i hate the 'your already thin you dont have to watch your calories"
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    One friend, who is tiny, criticized it a lot until I told her that I didn't HAVE to track my food -- I could just go back to estimating things like I was doing when I gained about a hundred pounds. I straight out addressed it with her --telling her that with my thyroid disorder, I just don't have a margin of error anymore so estimating doesn't work for me. I told her that she's fortunate that she doesn't have to track so closely, but that for me, it's either track and stay healthy or not track and see all of my hard work fly out the window, a few pounds at a time. She stopped hassling me.

Most folks though, who've seen me shrink by almost a hundred pounds, comment something like, "I wish I had the discipline to do that. I know I need to .... btw, what app are you using?"

I'm more than comfortable with it all though. For me, its an advertisement for successfully transforming oneself from obese to healthy. :)
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am glad other people have this happen to them too!
    I live in the sorority house, so everyone knows that i do and they always give me a hard time. ohhh well, i am the one eating healthy and losing weight.. while they just complain.