Do People Get Annoyed With You Because You Count Calories?

Options

Replies

• getfitnow33
    Options
    Hi Jake, Yes i go through sumthing similar with my friends and family? They think its annoying that i reach for my phone or ipod to input everything but this tool helps us. Calorie counting iis really whats been helping me through my journey. I just shake it off because i realize i need to do this for me and noone else. They may never understand and as much as i love all of them their antics dont affect me. Like you im in this for the long haul and im not gonna let anyone or anything get in my way! So let them joke, love you are doing this for you! Congrats on your weightloss!

16730282.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Kimharbath
    Options
    I have found people are annoyed with me because just seeing me doing it makes them feel like they should be watching what they put in their mouth. I don't care what they do, but I can still tell it makes them uncomfortable.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No, but I don't really make it very obvious that I'm doing it.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes and no? Because I work more on calorie awareness than I do calorie counting it's easier for me not to get frustrated and easier for others not to get frustrated with me. My husband being the one exception. I read packages to figure out calories to decide whether or not I really want to eat it. He sometimes rolls his eyes at me, but other times he will read packages with me and tell me what the calories are or sodium content. But hey, even I get annoyed with reading labels. Sometimes I just want to shove it in my mouth and be done with it.
  • 170to117
    Options
    Yes! I was out with my friends at IHOP the other day, and they kept making jokes and giving me weird looks based on what and how much I was eating..
  • 170to117
    Options
    That happens to me too..they say that since I'm not really overweight, I should be able to eat whatever I want...Well it's not a perfect world so it doesn't work that way.
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am usally always on the go so I tend to add my meals using the mfp app on my phone and to them, it looks like i'm texting. I know it comes off a little rude but I remind them that I am counting calories & getting an idea of how many calories are in the meals before I make a choice helps to keep me on track. To avoid the hassle,I get all the details of where we are going a head of time and try to plug in the meals prior to going....so far so good.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My hubby used to give me grief about it, but since he's started to see results, he's been more supportive. I have a co-worker on this journey with me. Sometimes we talk at the lunch table about what calories are in what food and so-forth. Sometimes the co-workers will ask how many calories are in what they are eating. I don't think it helps with the appetite much when we tell them. Or that is good on calories, but has a ton of sodium. That also gets them thinking. I try not to tell them unless they ask though. You can only motivate by example, not by lecturing. It is amazing all the foods that I used to think were "healthy" that I would no longer touch. Planning is extremely important to me on my journey.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I don't have the phone app (no smart phone) so I don't get it because of that. If I pass on a goody though I have had a couple coworkers make snarky comments. One in particular is a real pain. Once I checked a Little Debbie box because I was thinking about indulging. I quiety put the box back down, not one word to anyone. This person rolled her eyes at me. I had had enough of her pia comments that I told her, "Hey, I don't roll my eyes at you because you drink nothing but diet coke from morning to night, I would appreciate it if you give me the same courtesy". Didn't work but I felt better.
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yep, all the time. My friends and family are always telling me I don't have to be too serious, but I do! I have a lot of weight to lose, and if this site is going to help me do that, then I'll use it as much as I want to use it!! I also get people telling me "you won't be on a diet forever" I'm not on a diet now, it's called being healthy!!!
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My mom gets aggravated when I wont eat things she makes because they have too much fat or starch in them. She says a little bit wont hurt me

Yes, this too!

My mum will always text me when I'm in work saying "I'm making... for tea, do you want some?" then gets annoyed when I say no. She thinks a lot of things are healthy and really doesn't like it when I say they're not healthy enough!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    ALL.THE.TIME. :/
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes, and worse then that they laugh when I do. I'm sorry if they are insulted that I want to do something that will make me better off then they are living on the edge paying no attention to what they eat. Its not about them so I feel nothing but sorry for them.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care. I've lost weight, I continue to lose weight and if people have a problem with it, they can leave my presence. I'm on a mission so get out of my way!

I'm one of those people now and I kinda like it.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Only on the days that end with "y" for me.

Truth.
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    People get upset when they see other people doing good for themselves. They feel like you're putting them down for eating whatever they want and it makes them feel fat. It's all about them, never about you. I just ignore it. They can be fat all they want, I'm going to get skinny.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Me too, but I think its more that people/coworkers are waiting for me to fall off this life style change and site. I love it...and love
    scanning foods with my phone. I really makes me aware of what I am putting into my mouth!
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is funny. I have a co worker who helps me find tasty low cal snacks because she tracks her calories too. We have 2 other co workers who use MFP but they are not what they call as "anal" as us!!! :)
    :smile:
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    exactly!!! I get the crazy neorotic statements all the time. I was heavy all my life and so this keeps me from going back!!! So true!!!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think people get annoyed and don't think I need to do this.....