Who has taken a spinning class?

Options

Replies

• Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spin class!! I used to take a 5:50 am class and it was so awesome! Every instructor is different too because they all have a different way of running class. Which I like also!

My favorite instructor would BLAST the music and have the fans on and just make you drip sweat! I never got a pedometer so I can't say exactly how many calories we'd burn but it's up there!

While they do push you to keep up with class, they're also some flexibility in how hard you push or how you keep the resistance. But I personally loved spin class! It's all about the instructor! So if you don't like it after the first try, see if another instructor can persuade you otherwise! :)
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely bring a towel (although the gym always provides them) and I always drink 2 bottles of water for a 1 hr class. (At least)
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Love it. Great workout. Get some padded cycle shorts. If your *kitten* is banging the seat a lot then you don't have enough resistance on!
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Glad I saw this thread, there will eventually be spin classes at my new gym and I definitely want to get it a go.
  • shelmac
    shelmac Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Ive never been as Im worried Im not tall enough for the bikes, being 4 ft 11, I was concerned I couldnt lower the saddle enough?????

People hate going on gym equipment after me, as they have to megga adjust everything lol x
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Ive never been as Im worried Im not tall enough for the bikes, being 4 ft 11, I was concerned I couldnt lower the saddle enough?????

People hate going on gym equipment after me, as they have to megga adjust everything lol x
    A cycle instructor at my gym might be 5 ft tall and the bikes are fine for her so I am sure you would be fine.
  • shelmac
    shelmac Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. will brave a class then x
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to try spin class but I'm nervous about being in a class and not being able to keep up with everyone!
  • emfnp
    emfnp Posts: 23
    Options
    Spinning is my anti-drug.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Spinning classes are awesome...once again...you make the workout as hard or as easy as you want. I've seen people go in and do nothing but cycle...awesome..I've seen people go in and ratchet up that tension and do all of the out of saddle/seat "jumps" and positions..awesome...in the end its about your workout. So you do whats best for you! :) Gotta love a fantastic workout that will do that for you.
  • Training2Tri
    Training2Tri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Spin class is the best workout. Bring water and don't be afraid to go early, set up your bike before the class starts. Get used to adding and removing resistance on the bike. Don't go too hard in your first class. Ease into it and get comfortable on the bike in the 3 positions : seating (1), standing/running (2) and climbing(3).

Bring a water bottle!! Good luck!!! :)
  • samiusi
    Options
    Here's the club that I belong to: cyclingfusion.com. We stream video thru out the US. It's a state of the art facility, using the most advanced spinning bike on the market, the Kiazer. We're all about HEART ZONES, Z1 thru Z5. The rewards of training during the winter are incredible and by the time your ready for the road in April riding is a piece of cake, especially if you need to climb.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    spin is def an awesome cardio workout but you'll feel like you want to slap the legs on the people that dont break a sweat doing it :laugh:
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love spin classes so much, I teach them. I would plan to get there early to have the instructor help you set up the bike. Plus, every instructor is different. For newbies, I suggest pacing yourself and if you feel that you went to hard, take a song out to recover and join back in when you are ready.

Also, there are was to make the class easier or harder and that is pedal speed and resistance. To keep them in check, if resistance goes up, foot speed comes down same holds true that if foot speed goes up, resistance comes down - this is to keep your aerobic. Increase both and exertion goes up.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    spinning = www.thebomb.com/fanfreakintabulous

One thing i miss about not havin a gym membership is the spinning classes. they are a great cardio workout, not too bad on the knees and exhilarating (with the right instructor).

The only thing i didn't like is how sore my booty was during the first week of adjusting to the seat. definitely invest in a seat pad to avoid too much initial discomfort :-)
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked. Best thing ever!!
  • plethorax
    plethorax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Spinning is great, if you're looking for an intense cardio burst you should definitely try it. They have 45-minute "spin express" classes at my gym, and I'm not sure I could do a full-length one yet. Like everyone is saying, it's pretty easy to adjust the class to your own fitness level, but you're definitely going to be at or near the top of your exertion range most of the class.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone yet. It's one of those things I'd like to try but I hear it's pretty intense! But it is on my list for 2012!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    i LOVE SPINNING!!!!
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I love spining - I used to do 2 classes a week and it was so painful, but really worth it - the sessions were 45mins to an hour, depending on how excited the instructor was :)

I had to stop unfortunatley coz I had to cancel my gym membership (money issues) but I think I have it sorted out now, so I'm looking at going back again - its a great class to do plus the people in them are normally really friendly, like a bit of banter during the class as well - we did end up all going out one night into town - so its quite a social thing as wel,, which is quite nice.

Make sure you take plenty of water and a towel though as you need both - a lot :)

Good luck with it