On track with my calories but....

Options
I have been on MFP for almost 2 weeks and have noticed some change but I have a question. I usually come in on target with my calories but I've been having trouble getting my breakdown (protein, fat, carbs) right. Will this drastically affect my weight loss?

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Basically, it's calories in vs. calories out, so if you are hitting your calorie goals, you are probably doing OK. HItting your protein goals will help you feel full longer, so it may help you hit your calorie goals too. Personally, I don't worry too much about hitting all the micronutrients.....I am more concerned with calories.
    Kaye
  • tmfpartyof4
    tmfpartyof4 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    same here, actually. I am a new member as well, and focus more on the calories, then the macros.

I tend to go over in Iron because of all the fresh spinach I like to have in my salads...., and Sodium (which can lead to water retention), but she ^^ is right, Stay as close as you can with the protein, and you will feel full longer....

Good luck and welcome!! :flowerforyou:

**edited for spelling.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It is the most important thing to pay attention to calories in vs calories out as those things will be what makes you lose. However, you still need calcium, protein, carbs, sugars, fibre etc so it is still important to pay attention to those as well as the calories. You could eat your daily goal of calories by fries and chips but you will be lacking in other IMPORTANT nutrients. You can't gain muscle without protein for example.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I find that I tend to go over what MFP says I need in protein. I don't worry about it, I'm not eating 12 oz. steaks for every meal. I just try to stick to my calories. Sometimes I'm good and sometimes not.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Everyones is diffrent but I would say you are on target if you are not seeing the results you want you may have to adjust or modiefy a few things Good luck to you
  • alonzoteam2
    Options
    But if you are a scale watcher you will weigh heavier the next morning if you eat mostly carbs in your calorie make up as they cause you to retain more water...so you may feel more bloated. We all know thats not real "weight" but it can make your pants a little tighter. Also some foods help you release the bloat which make you "feel" better.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for almost 2 weeks and have noticed some change but I have a question. I usually come in on target with my calories but I've been having trouble getting my breakdown (protein, fat, carbs) right. Will this drastically affect my weight loss?

I just go by my calories, the rest is usually there or thereabouts. Regarding Protein, I often go over, but am not concerned because it is on the low side on MFP anyway. Fats and Carbs are usually under.

Go by your calories for a while and the rest will fall into place and you will know exactly what will and will not take you over after a very short time.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    If your loosing I wouldn't worry too much for now. Protein will keep you fuller though as someone else said. As long as your eating as natural as possible you will be fine x
  • TexasRaised89
    TexasRaised89 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What I pay attention to mainly is of course Calories in calories out but also my sodium just because I dont want to retain water weight. I TRY to watch my sugars but it's hard to keep it under my goal because even the healthiest things have some sugar. Focus mainly on your calories in/calories out and making sure they are good calories. Meaning not junk food
  • Nippalou
    Options
    If there is a fairly substantial differential between target and actual, then yes, you will need to look at reducing intake of certain foods, however I would not get overly concerned if the areas you are struggling with at the moment are protein and/or carbohydrates. The key driver to be mindful of is the fat content in food. This is the most important when looking at losing weight. If you are finding you are managing to be under on the calories and fat, then this will generate weight loss. Couple this with some exercise and you will be doing really well. Good luck!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    So you don't get overwhelmed in the beginning (which could lead to failure) I'd say just worry about calories. Once you have that down and are feeling confident, you can begin tackling managing your macros. Tweaking things to suit you best, and doing trial and error over time. I've been at this for 8 months and just now getting a good handle on what macro ratios work best for me. After you have many months of data, you can better analyze too. For instance, weeks where I lost the most I'll look back and compare my eating pattern with weeks I didn't lose as well. I think what you're doing now is great. Don't overwhelm yourself too much in the beginning, a lot of it really is trail and error over time.
  • Jupitter
    Options
    Its not a bad thing to be over on your protein and fiber, but your SUGAR... now that's the enemy... Once you go in the red with sugar its time to make some compromises with the sugar for the rest of your day.
  • rcultrona
    Options
    I tend to stay under in fat and carbs (except for one day last week when I decided a cheese plate was an acceptable lunch :) ). It usually is the protein that I go way over in because I usually will eat lean protein for lunch and dinner and that puts me over.