How long does it take to lose LBS when Lifting!

Options
I have not exercised this much since High School. I exercise 7 days a week, 6 days at the gym doing 45 minutes of moderate cardio and 45 minutes of lifting alternating lower body and upper body every other day. I use 2- 4 different cardio machines and alternate weekly on lighter weights and more reps and then switching it up the next week to heavier weights and less reps. I have lowered my heart rate while exercising, and my balance is better, I feel better, more energy, sleep better, skin is smoother. However it has been about a month of this new routine, before I was only doing cardio for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. Anyhow in this month I have not lost any weight. I eat my exercise calories back and 3 or 4 days this month I did go over my calories by 50-200 on one day... but have overall done pretty good on eating. How long should someone "gain muscle" and not lose weight going at this rate? UGH I am so frustrated!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't see any mention in any of that about rest. Rest is just as important as exercise.

What's likely happening is that you haven't 'gained muscle' so much as you're body is in a constant state of inflammation or fluid retention. When we exercise hard, it creates tears in the muscle fibers, and fluid surrounds those tears to aid the muscle in repairing itself. But it needs rest to do that.

Also, take photos or try on clothes (either in stores or from the back of your closet) as a way to gauge progress rather than relying on the scale. The scale is a horrible judge.
  • jesseylou22
    Options
    Are you talking about not exercising on a day...If so, how often should you do that?
  • alonzoteam2
    Options
    Are your clothes still feeling better and better each day? If so dont worry so much about your weight because as you build muscle you will be leaner and it is harder to see the scale move.

Too start moving it again -
    Recalulate your caloric needs based on your current weight and what you want to weigh.
    Keep calories at the goal weight for a week or two.
    Mix up your cardio with some intensity spurts (jumping Jacks, run instead of walk for 1 minute every 5 minutes)
    Eat high quality carbs and avoid the sugar (even if it is within calorie count)

For me the scale has only moved about 5 lbs but I have gone from a tight 10 to a 6-8 in pants. I can see my shoulder muscles aand feel muscles in my legs again! You should be so proud of sticking to it! What you learn at 45 that is hard to see at 25 is the way exercise makes you feel is its own reward. You feel better, happier, sexier and that makes all around you feel better too no matter what the SCALE says!
  • lagcrg
    lagcrg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am NO expert, but I would guess that you are working your body to hard. If you feel/like to workout 7 days a week then that's fine but maybe alternate your workout times every other day/week (30 min on Mon,wed, fri and 45 min on tues & thurs.) or 30 min over one week and 45 the next. If you still aren't seeing results in your weight then try a couple weeks with a rest day between workout days. I don't know how the muscle building and weight go together, but I have heard that you could stay at current weight or gain with muscle building. So another way to judge progress would be your measurements. Take them once a week to see if they have changed. Good luck in finding a rotation that works...I am working on the same thing.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have lowered my heart rate while exercising, and my balance is better, I feel better, more energy, sleep better, skin is smoother.

This is all GREAT!!! Can you see what a difference you're making in your health already??? Isn't it fantastic when you realize your body is getting the work it needs and you can actually sleep well, so you're getting better rest and have more energy for the next day? You are doing a fantastic job of improving yourself - don't sell yourself short because of the number on the scale. :smile:

Try tracking your measurements and not just your weight. I'd bet there's a difference already but you just haven't been able to see it. :smile: One thing to make sure of, though, is that you're eating enough. You're working really hard so make sure you are eating the calories you should be. And it won't hurt you to take a day off from the gym once or twice a week - just go for a nice long walk outside.

And yes, what LorinaLynn said about fluid is absolutely right. Our trainers warned us about it, that for up to a month we'd probably see a lot of up and down and not see "progress" on the scale.

Try giving this a read... it helped me a LOT. http://hussmanfitness.org/html/TSInsideOut.html
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    Are you talking about not exercising on a day...If so, how often should you do that?
    t works by muscle group. If you work upper body one day, you should let your upper body rest for two full days. Cardoon can be done 5 or 6 days a week.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the last week or so of your food diary and have a few suggestions that may help.

1. get rid of the processed foods as soon as you can.
    2. You're eating most of your carbs at night. Switch this.
    3. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a pauper.
    4. You meals should be focused around protein. Compliment your protein with health veggies and complex carbs.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I have not exercised this much since High School. I exercise 7 days a week, 6 days at the gym doing 45 minutes of moderate cardio and 45 minutes of lifting alternating lower body and upper body every other day. I use 2- 4 different cardio machines and alternate weekly on lighter weights and more reps and then switching it up the next week to heavier weights and less reps. I have lowered my heart rate while exercising, and my balance is better, I feel better, more energy, sleep better, skin is smoother. However it has been about a month of this new routine, before I was only doing cardio for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. Anyhow in this month I have not lost any weight. I eat my exercise calories back and 3 or 4 days this month I did go over my calories by 50-200 on one day... but have overall done pretty good on eating. How long should someone "gain muscle" and not lose weight going at this rate? UGH I am so frustrated!

Be sure to have at least 2 full rest days a week. Broken down muscle works half as hard as rested and recovered muscle.
    Fantastic bodies are built in the kitchen and while sleeping!
    Everything else is secondary!
  • kaihato
    Options
    t works by muscle group. If you work upper body one day, you should let your upper body rest for two full days. Cardoon can be done 5 or 6 days a week.

By "Cardoon" do you mean cardio?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    a lot of beginner lifters can benefit from lifting on alternating days, say m-w-f, and cardio on tu-th-sa, and rest on sunday.
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    I just looked at the last week or so of your food diary and have a few suggestions that may help.

1. get rid of the processed foods as soon as you can.
    2. You're eating most of your carbs at night. Switch this.
    3. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a pauper.
    4. You meals should be focused around protein. Compliment your protein with health veggies and complex carbs.

Great advice!!!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I don't see any mention in any of that about rest. Rest is just as important as exercise.

What's likely happening is that you haven't 'gained muscle' so much as you're body is in a constant state of inflammation or fluid retention. When we exercise hard, it creates tears in the muscle fibers, and fluid surrounds those tears to aid the muscle in repairing itself. But it needs rest to do that.

Also, take photos or try on clothes (either in stores or from the back of your closet) as a way to gauge progress rather than relying on the scale. The scale is a horrible judge.

^^THIS^^

A rest day once a week helps me a lot, physically AND mentally. I've also read in numerous books/forums that every 3 or 4 weeks that it's wise to take a week off lifting. And just do light-moderate cardio, stretching and/or yoga, 4/5 days during this rest week.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Just my 2 cents: If you lift on M, W, F then the days between should be left for light cardio-walk, yoga, body weight. You will be better off doing full body on the days you lift. Do your cardio on the between days and have at least one day of rest-full rest, no working out at all a week. Every 4-6 weeks you should give your body a week rest from heavy lifting-use lighter weights or no weights at all during this week. Then switch your routine.I agree with LorinaLynn about the scale and fluid retention. Good luck!
  • branohockey
    branohockey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is how much you are eating, (and to echo other posters, how much water you consume and allowing for muscle recovery is also very important). If you are doing all of this intense working out on 1200 cals a day intake then it's not enough. You must appropriately fuel your workouts. Do you wear a Heart Rate Monitor for accurate calorie burn readouts? (this site provides estimates, but the exact cal burns varies based on age, sex, height) If you burn 500 cals in a workout then you must consume at least 1700 calories to 'net' your 1200 cal minimum. If you are consistently below 1200 calorie net then your body will conserve calories and weight loss will be difficult.

Water flushes your body and with the intnese workouts you do, it's even more imortant to hydrate your body.

Rather than focusing on the number on the scale, please pay attention to how you feel in your clothes. For a very long time I faithfully tried to lose the 'last 3 lbs' not even taking notice of the lean muscles I built and the fact that I was now a size FOUR!! I was so frustrated because the number did not change that I ended up giving up and GAINING 40 lbs!

So keep working on what you are doing, fuel your body properly, drink water, rest your muscles, get enough sleep, and enjoy how great it feels to be healthy and making the right choices!

The scale's readout does NOT MATTER - it's how you feel in your skin. :)
  • jesseylou22
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your pointers! I am going to work hard on eating smarter, and am going to change up my routine to include light cardio rest days! Hope this works thanks all! I really enjoyed that article about the different kinds of fat and how it is lost.. way encouraging! :)