Growing own vegetable garden

Options
2days ago, i moved house. For the 1st time i have a garden. I am excited at the prospects of growing my own vegetables. Is the anyone growing their own vegetables? What do you wish you knew befor you started out?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Your local library will have books on gardening. A lot of this depends on the soil in your area and the climate. I find that herbs do well in my yard, but tomatoes are just ok. Peppers seem to love Indiana dirt lately.... I love gardening!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I've grown veggies! Peppers have been the easiest to grow for me. It seems like bugs don't have much interest in them. Squash have been the most difficult for me because there are a lot of bugs that want to eat them, as well as rodents. I have only grown veggies twice because I haven't had access to a garden, but it was a lot of fun and very rewarding. I recommend taking up canning if you are successful in your growing!

You should find out what zone you are in to find out when to plant and what will grow best in your area.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My parents have a fantastic garden, and have for over 30 years. So naturally, when I bought my house, I assumed that I would also have a beautiful garden.
    What I didn't know was how much time they spend weeding it, or spreading grass clippings over it (which my lawnmower doesn't do, no bag) and general up-keep. It's too much for me, right now, so I won't be gardening this next year. Or if I do, it will be very limited.
    However, I would highly recommend a rain barrel for watering. They are a little spendy, but well worth it. We didn't use the hose at all last year, it rained just enough to get water from the barrel every time we needed it. They don't require a lot of upkeep either.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've grown veggies! Peppers have been the easiest to grow for me. It seems like bugs don't have much interest in them. Squash have been the most difficult for me because there are a lot of bugs that want to eat them, as well as rodents. I have only grown veggies twice because I haven't had access to a garden, but it was a lot of fun and very rewarding. I recommend taking up canning if you are successful in your growing!

You should find out what zone you are in to find out when to plant and what will grow best in your area.

Thank you so much. canning is a great idea. I had not thought that far. Bought some seeds, and on the packaging the do tell you when to plant, how deep etc.
  • uncbluegirl
    Options
    This spring will be my 2nd year growing my own vegetables. Last year I grew tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers with BIG results, and zucchini with barely any fruits...I think i only got 2 or 3 zucchinis the whole season! I live in eastern Massachusetts, so we have a shorter season than much of the country.

The library has great books aobut gardening, and there are also websites such as growveg.com, and squarefootgardening.com. i don't have much space for a large garden, so I've grow all the plants in raised container boxes.

Websites like johnnyseeds.com and rareseeds.com sell seeds - there are SO many varieties...ever hear of a purple or white cucumber? lol! They also have LOTS of articles about how to seed, plant, and harvest specific veggies, and also tools to tell you when the last frost in your area will be, and how soon you can plant outdoors and when to harvest.

I'm no way an expert, but I've done a lot of reading about it, so feel free to message me if you have any questions - I'd love to have a buddy to talk about gardening with! :happy:
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    This spring will be my 2nd year growing my own vegetables. Last year I grew tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers with BIG results, and zucchini with barely any fruits...I think i only got 2 or 3 zucchinis the whole season! I live in eastern Massachusetts, so we have a shorter season than much of the country.

The library has great books aobut gardening, and there are also websites such as growveg.com, and squarefootgardening.com. i don't have much space for a large garden, so I've grow all the plants in raised container boxes.

Websites like johnnyseeds.com and rareseeds.com sell seeds - there are SO many varieties...ever hear of a purple or white cucumber? lol! They also have LOTS of articles about how to seed, plant, and harvest specific veggies, and also tools to tell you when the last frost in your area will be, and how soon you can plant outdoors and when to harvest.

I'm no way an expert, but I've done a lot of reading about it, so feel free to message me if you have any questions - I'd love to have a buddy to talk about gardening with! :happy:

Thanks a lot Bluegirl. I will check out those websites. Will definately message you. Will be going to my local library to do some reading too. For starters i thought i could do tomato, peppers,sweet potato and butter nut.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    there are some great veggie / allotment forums on the net, no need for books!

I think the fact that you can grow veggies in containers - save the digging - was a big thing for me in the start, a few potatoes in a dustbin full of soil = lots of lovely new potatoes and soil to go on other plants.

Start getting organised now - seeds to plant and grow on.
    think about what you like, add a few that you haven't tried and go from there.

My favs are corgettes - I grow some into marrows but we love corgettes - stuffed or in mousaka, roasted etc.
    Beetroot, beans, peas, strawberries - these you can buy a few plants then they send out 'runners' (shoots) after fruting.. pin these in the soil while attached and they'll grow a new plant! :D cut the joining shoot once it's formed well enough to become a singular plant. :)
    So many things. I do struggle with brassica's but am an organic gardener and need to get some nets to cover them over with to stop butterflies laying their larvae.. I end up leaving it for them as I like butterflies! lol

Hanging baskets are good for tumbling tomatoes :) and even herbs too.

Hope some of this has helped. :) but have a google for sites on growing veg and if in doubt just ask on a forum.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have had a garden for several years and I get such joy out of it. It gets a little better every summer. I have a seed catalog on my lap right now and am about to start planning this summers' garden.
    I always plant tomatoes, string beans, squashes and peas. Last year I was successful with broccoli as well. The soil is a bit deficient so I wasn't so successful with most of the other stuff I planted like onions and peppers.
    This year I plan to try brussels sprouts (yum!).
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Our garden was an experiement last year and we have improvments in the works for this year...

1. We bought a book called Square Foot Gardening...VERY helpful! We used raised box gardens (made from wood and a wooden 'grid") Less weeding this way too.

2. Get a good soil! We bought mushroom soil and the veggies grew like crazy!!

3. Tomatoes: you wire cages to grow them and space them pretty far apart, or you get one BIG mangled mess

4. Pumpkins need to be started before June and need LOTS of room to "roam" (watermelons, need lots of room too)

5. Cucumbers can be a very hardy vegetable...we got a LOT on our first try. (they are easy care)

6. Green beans are yummy right from the garden! :)

7. Lettuce can grow almost anywhere, and space it out (between plantings) you can be innodated with it all at once!

Gardening is great fun and very rewarding, when you make a salad by just opening your back door!!
  • RmIIImc70
    RmIIImc70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a small veggie garden in containers in my yard. It is fun and not too much work. Each year I add more containers though! I use the book Squarefoot Garden which shows how to arrange a small garden. Some things work out and others don't. It is still fun though. I love the fresh herbs, lettuce and arugula. I even grow potatoes in felt pots. This year I will try delicata squash in big barrels. It is not enough so that I can avoid the produce section of the market but just fun and a few salads each week.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    2days ago, i moved house. For the 1st time i have a garden. I am excited at the prospects of growing my own vegetables. Is the anyone growing their own vegetables? What do you wish you knew befor you started out?

Prep your soil. Dont run out and buy plants until you have done that well.

This chick on youtube has some ok ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=garden+girl&oq=garden+girl&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=3978l6542l0l7078l11l11l0l1l1l0l310l2142l0.4.5.1l10l0
  • RmIIImc70
    RmIIImc70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Our garden was an experiement last year and we have improvments in the works for this year...

1. We bought a book called Square Foot Gardening...VERY helpful! We used raised box gardens (made from wood and a wooden 'grid") Less weeding this way too.

2. Get a good soil! We bought mushroom soil and the veggies grew like crazy!!

3. Tomatoes: you wire cages to grow them and space them pretty far apart, or you get one BIG mangled mess

4. Pumpkins need to be started before June and need LOTS of room to "roam" (watermelons, need lots of room too)

5. Cucumbers can be a very hardy vegetable...we got a LOT on our first try. (they are easy care)

6. Green beans are yummy right from the garden! :)

7. Lettuce can grow almost anywhere, and space it out (between plantings) you can be innodated with it all at once!

Gardening is great fun and very rewarding, when you make a salad by just opening your back door!!

That is a good book and looking at easy season as an experiment is what I do. Some things work out and others don't. I can't stop day dreaming about spring!
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    You guys are AMAZING. Thank you for the tips. Yes you are right, The net is a great place to start. Will be getting Squarefoot garden, thats for sure. I did not know its possible to grow potatoes in a pot. Wow. Beetroot and spinach are my favorite vegetables. I think i ll add them to my list. Thank you so much.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love gardening!

I had my first garden last summer, and here's a couple of things I learned:
    -I use vegetables far more than I use herbs, but I budgeted about 20% of my tiny garden space for herbs. Won't do that next time.
    -if you grow broccoli, don't pull out the plant after you harvest the crown. It will keep producing little florets for months.
    -wear long pants when working in the garden if possible. I got TONS of scratches on my legs.
    -prune. I thought pruning was a waste of time and would limit by harvest, but my tomatoes were so mangled by the end that the little guys could barely get the sunlight they needed to ripen. Prune early and often.
    -my favorite crops last year were swiss chard, sungold tomatoes, and eggplant.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Beetroots will grow happily in containers and are lovely as you can pick them small for salads etc.
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Last year was my first year growing something other than tomatoes - and it was all in bags and pots.

Successes: Potatoes, carrots, lettuces, beetroot, runner beans, peas, spring onions, leeks, raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants, strawberries, gooseberries and various herbs (lavender, rosemary, basil, oregano, tarragon, marjoram, lemon balm, thyme, winter savoury, chamomile, sage, parsley and sorrel)

Fails: pumpkin, courgettes, tomatoes and radishes (was too damp & cold for the first 3 but that's the Welsh hills for you - and my radishes got radish root maggots. Urgh).

Am getting some more soil in this year and have a small greenhouse to set up so might do better with the squashes and tomatoes.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!! Im pulling weeds this weekend and getting my garden ready for sping!

*** I agree on finding out what zone your in, helps when you go to the store to buy seeds, and also make sure you have good soil makes such a big difference when you have good soil **
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!! Im pulling weeds this weekend and getting my garden ready for spring!

*** I agree on finding out what zone your in, helps when you go to the store to buy seeds, and also make sure you have good soil makes such a big difference when you have good soil **
  • angevee
    angevee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been growing spuds for a couple of years and have had far better yields from growing them in a sack than in the ground. I grew beetroot in a sack last year and they did brilliantly. The tomatoes just kept coming from June through til October and we did really well on the green beans and the pumpkins too. Salads do well in pots. I kept mine next to the kitchen door, so that I just had to pop out to get them. Most things seem to grow well in a sack or pot, less bending with those too
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    definitely look into companion planting. you don't want to plant veggies that will be competing with one another for nutrients.

dig deep... don't rototill the soil... plants need crazy root space.

beets are awesome :)