Hula Hooping ...

Options
13»

Replies

• ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    After following these posts, I'm using an invisible one until I can buy one.

totally works! I do this with jump roping too...just pretend!
  • ifucsam
    ifucsam Posts: 40
    Options
    I've been doing Super Hulahoop on Wii then remembered the kids have hulahoops in the garage :) Will have to dig one out

I love Super hula hoop! Always gets me sweating!
  • stargirl99
    Options
    My gym is starting a power hoop class that I would love to try but I'm really worried that I won't be able to do it! I read that apple shaped people (which I definately am!) can find it more difficult, anyone found that?

I would love to have a try but don't want to pay for the class and hoop if I can't do it!
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I read that apple shaped people (which I definately am!) can find it more difficult, anyone found that?

is that why I struggle so much? I am for sure apple shape... I have only been hooping since Jan 1. still getting the swing of it. but the hoop drops many, many times in my, so far 15 minute workout. I am getting better, but can't go for longer than a couple minutes. I am swinging both ways now tho!

anyone else?
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I teach a hula hooping class.
    there are lots of tutorials on you tube for ideas.
    so to turn start pivoting on one foot as you move. turning is very useful as it makes a lot of the tricks easier.
    to up the calorie burn hoop like a circus performer with you feet together and planted on the ground and undulate your whole body ( a bit like a mexican wave moving up from you ankles). also you can pump the hoop by using you abs to push the hoop as well as a forward backward motion.

make sure hoop is big enough - a beginner should look for a hoop that's diameter is about floor to hip height. the larger they are the slower they move.
    heavier hoops require more energy to fight gravity so you work your muscles harder.
    tricks are generally easiest with the lightest hoop you can hoop with

hope this helps.
    happy hooping!
  • lacewitch
    Options
    btw
    i always search for hula hoop tutorial or hula hoop tricks on you tube if i am looking for ideas. i then draw stick figures so i can remember what i am trying to do!

this series is a good basic series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdJgTx0iFeE
    there are lots of tricks in a series ( i find the ladies a little patronizing but the tutorials are good)
    this is quite a good fitness routine and works on moving with the hoop
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BaHiysrn8w&feature=related
    jaguarmary is also excellent starting from the warm up here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR5HkJCcBLE&feature=related
  • lacewitch
    Options
    I read that apple shaped people (which I definately am!) can find it more difficult, anyone found that?

is that why I struggle so much? I am for sure apple shape... I have only been hooping since Jan 1. still getting the swing of it. but the hoop drops many, many times in my, so far 15 minute workout. I am getting better, but can't go for longer than a couple minutes. I am swinging both ways now tho!

anyone else?
    1. how big is your hoop. it should be from foot to hip or belly button to start. ( small will just be harder)
    2. tuck your tail bone under bend the knees one foot forward and rock forward and back at the hips with the hoop in a regular rhythm
    3. try to move you hips and pelvis not your upper body
    4. try going the opposite direction. almost everyone has a natural direction that is easier
    5. if the hoop starts to drop you can
    a) bend your knees and get your hips lower than you hoop and the swing your hips round and up in the direction of the hoop ' scooping it up with you
    b) move faster
    c) turn in the same direction as the hoop
    d) advanced hooping hoop on the bum or knees

Note if you hoop in a new location ( knees/ chest/ etc) be gentle and only do it for a bit as you will probably find your rhythm is not 100% and you get some bruising.

good luck and happy hooping
  • lacewitch
    Options
    Anyone any good at hooping, I bought one a while back I can keep it up now but i can do anything exciting like turn around! lol ... I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mi3E9RcS_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2a1R_qTN0k
    and this one is good all from the beginning with some tricks @ the end
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkCY-noepZk
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have a three pound hoop that I used before my wedding and it was alot of fun. I should trey to pick it up again.

if you use a weighted one, its definitely recommended to start off with smaller time increments with it

I dislike seeing the "toning is myth" argument on majority of the workout threads I read. Call it a myth if you prefer, its more a misuse of the word as over time toning has come be defined as a desire for a firm muscle definition, without over exaggeration of the muscles. When someone says they want to get "toned" or "fit" or even "get in shape", in most cases they're all trying to say the same thing. I get that many times when a person says they want to get toned, they can be talking about spot reduction, or simply that they wish to see their abs (so losing fat helps more than crunches). BUT toned is simply a poorly defined / or misused term. We dont jump on the people who say they "want to get in shape", though that actual meaning is poorly defined as well. Toning itself isnt a myth, its just the wrong word for it. The fact is that until everyone stops referring to people as "toned" as a way to describe how they look, then people are going to keep saying they want to look toned
  • stargirl99
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips lacewitch, I would love to have a go with the powerhoop with some of the videos you linked to. Only problem is the class includes the cost of the hoop so I won't get a try until I go to the first class! Suppose then I can bring it home and practice plenty if I am struggling!
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I've been wanting to try hooping for a few months! Guess I better check out this Hoopnatica page :drinker:
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump .. will get back to the links .... thank you all
  • lolibunny
    lolibunny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hooping is awesome i learned from people at venice beach then by youtube for more tricks. I now use a led hoop.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    What is the best weighted hula hoop out there???
  • Lollliiipopzzzz
    Options
    Get a weighted hula hoop! You get the cardio from it, and you definitely will see definition in your waist. Just do it during commercials or while you watch tv.
  • PurpleSweetpea
    Options
    Love my weighted hoop its great fun. I just stick the music channel on and hoop away - certainly good for toning the tummy!
  • sanmar7
    sanmar7 Posts: 10
    Options
    i have a weighted hula hoop and try to use it at least 5 times a week it strengthen ur abss i luv it not very good at the tricks though
  • hulahoopaholic
    Options
    I LOVE hooping. I am not good at it, and I still struggle to keep the hoop going when I waist hoop, but it gets a little better the more I practice. (I had surgery 7 weeks ago, so I had not been, hooping, but I picked up my giant hoop again last night.) It makes me so happy to hoop!

I take classes whenever I can with Nicole from Cherry Hoops. There is a twin mini hoops workshop coming up in February. I love the mini hoops because I can do a lot more with them despite my size.

The instructor who said that hoop size matters is totally right. I could not even get the hoop moving that most people use. The size I use is 54", which slows it down.
  • eggheadrn
    eggheadrn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/89945-calculate-calories-burned-hula-hoop/

I, too, am not coordinated but I love to hoop. I don't spin, Zumba, or run because I lack grace, but I hoop. And none of my friends do! (They say it is 'too hard'...LOL) :glasses:

There is a national org for hooping. If I recall correctly, a rough estimate for sizing is to stand the hoop up and it should be half way between navel and nipple line.

Mine is 5# and comes apart in sections....

Look to your community ed schedules too. That's how I found hooping....

Happy hooping....