Growing own vegetable garden

Options
2»

Replies

• uncbluegirl
    Options
    As a last minute idea last year, I also tried potatoes in a separate plastic container. The plants seemed to grow very well, and when came time to harvest, there were lots of potatoes - and of good size - but all were mushy and rotten. Be careful if you use a container or pot that there is REALLY good drainage! This year I'm going to try them in the raised beds, so hopefully I'll succeed this time. :)
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I, too, need to weed the planting areas. I've grown tomatoes the past several years. My fav thus far is called Moschovich-about the size of ping pong balls, but full of flavor and the plants produced a TON of fruit. Be sure you get the variety you want-some tomatoes are great for tomato sauce/paste, but they taste very bland and grainy if eaten in a salad--so buy varieties based on how you like to eat them.
    I tried peppers, but it was too mild of a summer here-they like it HOT.
    I plan to try squash and cukes this summer since I'll have more room allocated.

Best advice I have-keep a journal of what seed you use, where it is planted, when you planted it, how well each plant produces. Then you'll know "Oh-this plant got shaded too much, so it was really small--next year, don't plant in that spot"
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    definitely look into companion planting. you don't want to plant veggies that will be competing with one another for nutrients.

dig deep... don't rototill the soil... plants need crazy root space.

beets are awesome :)
    Yes will definately be doing lots of research on companion planting. Been thinking about this a lot. Its something i to do properly research befor i start. Thanks alot. What is to "rototill"?
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    As a last minute idea last year, I also tried potatoes in a separate plastic container. The plants seemed to grow very well, and when came time to harvest, there were lots of potatoes - and of good size - but all were mushy and rotten. Be careful if you use a container or pot that there is REALLY good drainage! This year I'm going to try them in the raised beds, so hopefully I'll succeed this time. :)
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    i will keep that in mind. I have enough land, so i dont think i ll use posts for root vegetables.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I, too, need to weed the planting areas. I've grown tomatoes the past several years. My fav thus far is called Moschovich-about the size of ping pong balls, but full of flavor and the plants produced a TON of fruit. Be sure you get the variety you want-some tomatoes are great for tomato sauce/paste, but they taste very bland and grainy if eaten in a salad--so buy varieties based on how you like to eat them.
    I tried peppers, but it was too mild of a summer here-they like it HOT.
    I plan to try squash and cukes this summer since I'll have more room allocated.

Best advice I have-keep a journal of what seed you use, where it is planted, when you planted it, how well each plant produces. Then you'll know "Oh-this plant got shaded too much, so it was really small--next year, don't plant in that spot"
    thats amazing. Good luck for the future. I like the idea of a journal. Thanks.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've grown veggies! Peppers have been the easiest to grow for me. It seems like bugs don't have much interest in them. Squash have been the most difficult for me because there are a lot of bugs that want to eat them, as well as rodents.
    Squash and cucumbers have been the EASIEST for me!!! My trouble is working out what to do with them all!!! LOL.

There are so many good things about gardening ...

* watering by bucket is a great workout, so is moving soil/stones/mulch etc.
    * you get to meet the neighbours.
    * it gets you out in the fresh air.
    * you'll never need to search for a conversation starter ever again - there are almost as many gardening stories as there are fishing stories.
    * you get to eat the results ...

I think one of the best things about gardening is that you can't rush it. Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the task. Just like working on your health/fitness, it is one step at a time. And the most important thing, is to enjoy yourself.
  • aeoliansquee
    aeoliansquee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I moved into a house with a garden nearly a year ago, and immediately got a bit carried away with growing fruits and vegetables. Okay, maybe more than a bit.... I now own four fruit trees, and it's not a big garden.

Things I found especially worthwhile were tomatoes and strawberries Homegrown tomatoes and strawberries are easy to grow and taste amazing - I don't even like tomatoes normally, but was happily picking them off the bush all Summer.
    I also got a fantastic crop of chilli peppers, and have big plans for growing more interesting varieties next year. (My household gets through bucketloads of chillis - they get added to just about everything - so growing them works out very cost-effective!)

Garlic is also crazy stupid easy to grow if you have the space. You pretty much just plonk them in the ground and leave them for months.

Things I wish I had known include:

* Dotting plants of the same species around the garden, not having them all in one clump, so if disease strikes they don't all get it. We lost half the tomatoes in less than 24 hours to blight, and it was sheer good luck that the other half were on the other side of the garden because they didn't all fit in one place.

* Making an effort to identify problems early, rather than going 'hmm, the plant looks a bit peaky... hopefully it will perk up'. Could have probably spared myself a mildew epidemic if I'd acted quicker!

* Feeding container-grown plants is important! I'm pretty sure in hindsight that several plants were suffering from lack of nitrogen throughout the growing season, which probably cost me a lot of fruit and veg in the end.

And overall, I think the main points to keep in mind are:

* What do you eat a lot of, and can it be grown efficiently?
    (This year has taught me that I cannot possibly ever have enough strawberries, but I can definitely have too many runner beans, and most brassicas take up a disproportionate amount of space for the number of meals you get out of them...)

* What can you get out of your garden that you will never, ever find in the shops?
    (The big one for me is courgette flowers! They're very delicate and short-lived, but absolutely delicious - same taste as courgettes/zucchinis but more subtle. And of course there are billions of different varieties of everything to experiment with.)
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You might also search on the USDA website. My dad had a free book he got from the USDA about how to plan for a garden, how to grow a garden in succession and how much you need to grow/can for different sizes of family.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    Thank you thank you ladies for the tips. Im getting excited by the day.

Unfortunately, im not from the US, therefor i dont think i ll get the book.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My son was growing lots of vegetables until he tested for lead. MAKE SURE YOU TEST YOUR SOIL FOR LEAD content. We were very surprised that his soil was not safe for young children to eat the food from. And not so great for adults either. This is in a city without industrial waste, such a surprise. He lives in a very upscale neighborhood where houses go for $500,00 and up.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    My son was growing lots of vegetables until he tested for lead. MAKE SURE YOU TEST YOUR SOIL FOR LEAD content. We were very surprised that his soil was not safe for young children to eat the food from. And not so great for adults either. This is in a city without industrial waste, such a surprise. He lives in a very upscale neighborhood where houses go for $500,00 and up.
    now this is SCARY. Especially because i live in an industrial area too. Thanks will find out how to get the tests done.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    I bought my seeds yesterday. Today I am getting down to business :-), its sowing time.