Why do people cut out fruit?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Because people don't make the distinction between natural sugars (fruit) and refined sugars (processed foods). There is a very important difference in my opinion.

This is my view too! Some may have a hard time digesting it, but if that's not the case, I don't see the harm.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    some people just don't like fruit. any fruit. i have to nag my cousin and brother to eat them.
  • Sparkz1920
    Sparkz1920 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Because people don't make the distinction between natural sugars (fruit) and refined sugars (processed foods). There is a very important difference in my opinion.

exactly! natural sugar (fruit) isn't bad but people see that negative red number next to sugar when they enter their foods and panic thinking it's bad. If anything I eat more fruit and yes that number always stays negative and red :smooched:

A friend of mine who is a Chem Major told me the body breaks down fruit sugar and table sugar in the exact same way. Also why most people prefer not to drink lots of 100% juice all of the time, but water mainly. I would never cut fruits out all the way, but I wouldn't eat an abundance of them. Sugar is Sugar. From Cane to Corn to Fructose
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who is a Chem Major told me the body breaks down fruit sugar and table sugar in the exact same way. Also why most people prefer not to drink lots of 100% juice all of the time, but water mainly. I would never cut fruits out all the way, but I wouldn't eat an abundance of them. Sugar is Sugar. From Cane to Corn to Fructose

From all that I have read this is true. However, my understanding is that the insulin response is slower when food is digested more slowly, so it is beneficial to eat protein or fat with your fruit and to choose high fiber low sugar fruits if you are concerned with a blood sugar spike from eating fruit. The cycle is--eat sugar->raise blood sugar->release insulin->develop low blood sugar->feel hungry and/or develop sweet and starch cravings. This is the way Dr. Agaston explains it in the South Beach books.
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is true that simply sugars are simply sugars regardless of whether it's table sugar or fruit sugar BUT the difference is that fruit sugar comes with lots of natural fiber that helps the body absorb the sugars more slowly and the fruit contains vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants. It is a good source for nutrition, but some people mistakenly get caught-up in focusing only on simply sugars found in fruit.
  • Sydney0710
    Options
    And actually, most fruits are still pretty low on the glycemic index because of all the fiber in fruit. This is why a person should eat a whole piece of fruit rather than drink a glass of fruit juice.
  • runfoodierun
    runfoodierun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm always wary of any plans that tell you to make sweeping eliminations (like no starches or dairy). Balance is key. I said in another post that my dietician recommends 2-3 fruit servings daily (and unlimited veggies, provided they're not prepared with a bunch of fattening oils, etc). There's sugar in fruit but it's naturally-occurring. Definitely a better snack than, say, artificially sweetened cookies or something.:smile:

I say the same thing about carbs! why cut them out! carbs are the only thing that fuel the brain! ONLY!!! dont eat carbs, your brain is not getting fuel. true, everything in moderation. Sure, there are sugars in fruit, but they hare natural sugars that break down easily. AND they are a low calorie treat. With nutrients and phytochemicals to boot!

Dont give up the fruit. (ps, I have my bachelors in nutrition... :) )
  • hsmithway
    Options
    And wow, I've never heard of mixing fruit and protein... totally new to me! So it's supposed to prevent sugar spikes? Will have to look into this...

I don't know about sugar spikes, but I definitely feel fuller longer if I eat some protein with my fruit.

This time of year I tend to eat more vegetables than fruit, but I grow a lot of fruit in my garden, so come spring/summer I'll eat fresh home-grown currants, strawberries, raspberries, honey berries, blueberries, gooseberries, lingonberries, and rose-hips, and apples and pears in the fall. Fresh veggies in my garden, too, but for some reason I find sad grocery store veggies more tolerable than sad grocery store fruits, and I like making vegetable soups, so I tend to eat more veggies in the winter.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sugar. And even if they are "healthy" when you have high blood sugar they can damage your health more than they can ever do good for you.

When you have high blood sugar you have to limit those items by Doctor's orders not because you so choose to do so.

People should stop judging others. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon that we are ignorant and do it because we do not know a difference between types of sugar. Well guess what? Neither does your body. Sugar is sugar. I am not going to lose a limb to eat an orange.

But the original question wasn't about people cutting out fruit due to health issues. It was about people saying that cutting out fruit is necessary for weight loss. Which it isn't. It's nothing personal. I don't think anyone here is arguing a doctor's orders. :wink:
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have had more success eating a normal diet - just watching my sweets. This is a way of life - not a diet.

I agree. I don't consider what I'm doing a diet. This has to be a life change. I don't believe in eliminating anything or I'll set myself up for failure. I eat clean and balanced most of the time, but I have some comfort foods that need to find their way into my diet occasionally. With portion control and exercise I was even able to eat everything I wanted at my daughters bday today, including cake. I'm well within my calories for the day!
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Try it, you might like it.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is true that simply sugars are simply sugars regardless of whether it's table sugar or fruit sugar BUT the difference is that fruit sugar comes with lots of natural fiber that helps the body absorb the sugars more slowly and the fruit contains vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants. It is a good source for nutrition, but some people mistakenly get caught-up in focusing only on simply sugars found in fruit.

*clap, clap, clap*

(that was applause, not the other thing...)
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have had more success eating a normal diet - just watching my sweets. This is a way of life - not a diet.

I agree. I don't consider what I'm doing a diet. This has to be a life change. I don't believe in eliminating anything or I'll set myself up for failure. I eat clean and balanced most of the time, but I have some comfort foods that need to find their way into my diet occasionally. With portion control and exercise I was even able to eat everything I wanted at my daughters bday today, including cake. I'm well within my calories for the day!

I agree also. I'm not a fan of eliminating entire food groups, be it fruit, dairy, meat or any other unless you have a medical condition that warrants it. Fruit contains nutrients and fiber that we all need every day. I think being overweight puts me at greater risk for medical problems than the sugar that's in the 3 fruits a day I've been eating as I try to lose!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    This is an intersting thread - here in Australia the Health Dept promotes 2 fruit/5 veg for optimal health. http://www.gofor2and5.com.au/ - note that is TWO fruit, FIVE vegetables.

I limit my fruit to 2 a day because of the high sugar content - IMO sugar is sugar is sugar. Sugar from fruit is better than sugar from other souces not becaue of the sugar but what else comes with it - eg fruit has sugar, vitamins, minerals, fibre, antioxidants, etc. A chocolate bar has sugar, fat, etc etc. Drinking fruit juice is not the best - as that way the fibre is removed and it is too easy to over-consume.

Funnily enough I was sitting here munching on an apple & a kiwi fruit for breakfast! The comments about eating fruit with protein, and eating fruit in the morning, was news to me, so might that that advice on board.

Looking at the tickers on people's comments, those that lost the most seem to have controlled fruit intake.

Anyway, we all have our own ideas on this, and we need to do what works for us as an individual.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I say the same thing about carbs! why cut them out! carbs are the only thing that fuel the brain! ONLY!!! dont eat carbs, your brain is not getting fuel. true, everything in moderation. Sure, there are sugars in fruit, but they hare natural sugars that break down easily. AND they are a low calorie treat. With nutrients and phytochemicals to boot!

Dont give up the fruit. (ps, I have my bachelors in nutrition... :) )

ps...I am a low carber AND a mathemetician. I think my brain is properly fueled.
  • Sydney0710
    Options
    To address an earlier post -- even diabetics are not told to completely eliminate fruit. Typically they are told to eat small amounts paired with a protein source, and that a piece of fruit is generally a healthier option than some processed starch marketed as "low sugar or "diabetic". It's simply not true that diabetics are suppose to avoid all fruit.