Working Out, Eating Right....and not hungry?

Options
I know someone (or many someones) out there will have some solid advice for me...
**Disclaimer** I do not own a HRM yet, so I do rely on MFP's Calorie counter BUT I low ball my excercise to be safe.

Now, the issue I have come across very frequently lately after logging my food (I measure and count) and my excercise (see disclaimer) is that I am way under not only my goal, but my after-excercise-goal and I'm not hungry. A few times I made myself eat something simply because it was clocking in at about 1000 cals.

I currently stand, after workout and all cals logged (I prelog my daily food) at a Net of 1120.

After reading MANY posts about starvation mode, I understand the concept and that perhaps my fat loss will slow but life as we know it will not end. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is having, or has had, this issue? And what did you do, if anything?

I appreciate any insight! :flowerforyou:
Meg

(Making my Diary public so you have a better idea of how my day looks)

Replies

• Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    Looks like you're doing great to me! Most days you seem to net over 1200 cals which is the main worry - one or two days where you don't probably won't hurt!

In my opinion, if you're not hungry, you feel you have energy, and you're losing - no reason to eat more just because! If you start to feel tired or run down, or your losing slows, I'd say add in some more healthy cals at breakfast, lunch, or a midmorning snack.

You also seem to drink a lot of shakes. Maybe replace those with solid meals, like eggs for breakfast or meat and veg for dinner?

Good luck, and do what works for you! :-)
  • Bikini27
    Options
    I appreciate it!
    I figured as much, but a little insight is good. :)
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    just pay attention to your energy levels throughout the day, if you have any times where you consistently feel tired, then add a high protein or nutrient rich snack around that time. The best advice is to pay close attention to your body and adjust things as needed. Also, if you forget to track things like butter or oil in the pan when you make scrambled eggs, or on your toast.. etc.. sometimes those add up and that could be helping you stay satisfied..
  • tmbobe
    tmbobe Posts: 11
    Options
    Me too. When I go to the gym, I have a hard time "eating back my calories". I do sometimes, but sometimes I don't. Some days, at night, if I am way off my goal, I will eat a bagel with cream cheese, or other foods that aren't the healthiest just to satisfy my 1200 calories a day. I mean really, how many darn veggies can one eat? It seems like anything else sends me over my sodium, sugar, or protein limits.

It's hard to be healthy :(
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    this happens to me ALL the time... esp the last 2 weeks i have drastically increased my exercise... my net calories have been in the negatives... and hover closer to 400!!! I think getting a HRM is key though. I need one too, because some of the estimates for exercise seem way off to me. For example, I just biked for 2 hours at 15-16mph and it is telling me i burned 1400 calories!!!! Am i going to EAT BACK 1400 calories, no way!!! But then as a result i am going to net very low. It is confusing to me, but i try to listen to my body.
  • little_sally1
    Options
    I'm concerned about the starvation mode thing. I've been doing this for 10 days, I've lost 2 pounds, I gym everyday a mixture of cardio and strength training about 40 mins I've always eaten healthily but pilled a few pounds on over christmas. I never hit my 1200 calories. I've never even hit 900 - I eat 3 good meals a day with snacks and I could up my calorie intake by eating cake or something really high in calories but I don't really want to eat anything that is massively processed and I don't feel i need any more food - I don't want to force myself to eat more- any advice?

My usual food diary is: Porridge for breakfast, homemade soup and salad for lunch, fish or chicken and veg and a bit of rice with herbs, spices or some sort of homemade sauce. I usually have a yogurt or some fruit during the day.
  • Bikini27
    Options
    I'm concerned about the starvation mode thing. I've been doing this for 10 days, I've lost 2 pounds, I gym everyday a mixture of cardio and strength training about 40 mins I've always eaten healthily but pilled a few pounds on over christmas. I never hit my 1200 calories. I've never even hit 900 - I eat 3 good meals a day with snacks and I could up my calorie intake by eating cake or something really high in calories but I don't really want to eat anything that is massively processed and I don't feel i need any more food - I don't want to force myself to eat more- any advice?

My usual food diary is: Porridge for breakfast, homemade soup and salad for lunch, fish or chicken and veg and a bit of rice with herbs, spices or some sort of homemade sauce. I usually have a yogurt or some fruit during the day.

In the Forums, Search Starvation Mode and you will get all the information ( and then some) you need on it.
    I suppose a HRM and just the old fashioned listening to our bodies is the way to go.
  • Bikini27
    Options
    this happens to me ALL the time... esp the last 2 weeks i have drastically increased my exercise... my net calories have been in the negatives... and hover closer to 400!!! I think getting a HRM is key though. I need one too, because some of the estimates for exercise seem way off to me. For example, I just biked for 2 hours at 15-16mph and it is telling me i burned 1400 calories!!!! Am i going to EAT BACK 1400 calories, no way!!! But then as a result i am going to net very low. It is confusing to me, but i try to listen to my body.

Exactly where I am. In the past, I def had issues staying under goal. But now that I'm working out every day and focusing on good foods? I'm happy and I sleep better than I have in years.