McDonald's: there's more than egg in their folded eggs

Options
Like I heard a comedian once say, " you don't go to McDonald's, you END UP at McDonald's" I ended up there this morning. I eat low carb and decided on the bagel with egg, bacon and cheese, I just tossed the bread. While looking up the nutrition info to log into my food diary I discovered that there is a lot more than eggs in McDonald's "folded egg"... Although I shouldn't be, I'm a bit surprised that they can't just serve a real egg.

Folded Egg
Allergens: EGG AND SOY LECITHIN
Pasteurized whole eggs, food starch-modified, soybean oil, natural flavors (botanical source), sodium acid pyrophosphate, carrageenan, flavor enhancer [salt, maltodextrin, natural flavor (plant source), spices, herb, turmeric (color)], monosodium phosphate, citric acid, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color)

The Egg McMuffin seems to be made with a real egg and if I end up at McDonald's for breakfast again that will be my choice...

Replies

• jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    That's disgusting. I wonder what chemicals were pumped into the egg laying chicken you ate too.
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wow, I knew McDonald's wasn't exactly clean food, but I am so shocked at that huge list!
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That explains why they don't taste like real eggs!! I still like them sometimes though lol :wink:
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    yeah the egg mckmuffin is truly the best breakfast option if you have to eat there. That's crazy that all that other stuff is inside their other "eggs". Ick.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, that list almost makes it funny to be honest. That's crazy how much extra crap they put into it...flavor enhancers...really? hahaha
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking about eating an egg mcmuffin, don't! Here is the ingredient of their egg in the egg mcmuffin sandwich:

Egg

USDA Grade A eggs, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

This is like trans fat central. I refuse to eat anything with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil in it. I don't know why it's so hard to use a real egg!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I thought trans fats were disappearing!
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    Egg McMuffins are pretty tasty though. :love:
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Blech. Thank you for posting. That is truly disgusting.

Knowledge is power. I will NEVER order an "egg" thing there again.

And btw -- the second ingredient? That's MSG by another name.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I know someone who eats real healthy himself, but his job was research for a big company that makes box cake mixes. He said it broke his heart. They were perfectly capable of making a mix that tastes exactly like homemade, but every time they did consumer testing, all the people who actually buy cake mixes rated the artificially flavored ones as tasting more like homemade. The kind of people who are McDonald's reliable customers really don't know what things should taste like anymore.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking about eating an egg mcmuffin, don't! Here is the ingredient of their egg in the egg mcmuffin sandwich:

Egg

USDA Grade A eggs, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

This is like trans fat central. I refuse to eat anything with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil in it. I don't know why it's so hard to use a real egg!

What? I managed a McDonald's for years. The egg McMuffin egg is simple. They come in STILL IN THE SHELL. Crack shell, drop on grill, cook. The extra ingredients are from the nonstick cooking spray used to keep them from sticking to the grill.

SMH
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Blech. Thank you for posting. That is truly disgusting.

Knowledge is power. I will NEVER order an "egg" thing there again.

And btw -- the second ingredient? That's MSG by another name.

What is MSG by another name?
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Egg

What? I managed a McDonald's for years. The egg McMuffin egg is simple. They come in STILL IN THE SHELL. Crack shell, drop on grill, cook. The extra ingredients are from the nonstick cooking spray used to keep them from sticking to the grill.

SMH

One of the reasons I'd rather eat Burger King IF I 'm going to eat a fast food breakfast!! I worked at Burger King for several years...I had to make the breakfast food every morning..so I KNOW that their eggs are real!!! McDonald's is just disgusting!!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    In Canada, at least, the egg is just egg. It's a big feature in their commercials right now that every McMuffin has a freshly cracked Canadian egg in it. "Canada Grade A Large Egg. Cooked on a grill lightly seasoned with trans fat free cooking spray." But the processed cheese, bacon, and 'english muffin' are a whole 'nother story.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    That's a lot of "egg"
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I once asked if I could have only egg white on my McMuffin and I was told, and I quote

"No, because our eggs aren't the normal type eggs, they come with the yolk in them." 0.O
  • daryashee
    Options
    Ewwwww I didn't know tht but I still don't eat there chicken products..!
    You should see wht they do to get chicken meat PURE TORTURE ONe of The reasons I became vegan
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Hey did you hear about their burgers?? Not sure of validity but a coworker told me she saw a spot on news about McD's and this pink goo they used to put in their hamburgers to make them last longer. I wanted to earl when she said that! YUCK!!!!!!!!
    Why if I want a hamburger I just cook it myself!!!!!!!
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ive never been a fan of Mcdonald's eggs always thought they were fake, i will only eat a plain sausage biscuit from MCD's . With all that crap in those eggs the time it took you to drive there, order and wait for your food you could of made something similar with all natural food.....like the eggs that are always in the fridge, some bacon or sausage and your favorite bread. I will say making my own breakfast sandwich tastes way better and always keeps me full until lunch time. Plus the icing on the cake your saving MONEY!
  • Iron_Diva
    Options
    Hey did you hear about their burgers?? Not sure of validity but a coworker told me she saw a spot on news about McD's and this pink goo they used to put in their hamburgers to make them last longer. I wanted to earl when she said that! YUCK!!!!!!!!
    Why if I want a hamburger I just cook it myself!!!!!!!

They are no longer doing this (Burger King and Taco Bell also stopped). See here:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/02/01/mcdonalds-announces-end-to-pink-slime-in-burgers/