Do People Get Annoyed With You Because You Count Calories?

Replies

• I get poked fun at all the time for counting calories! I'm a snacker so if I don't count everything I eat I could easily exceed my goal by 500 calories or more! I just let it roll off my shoulders. Its worked for me so Ill continue to count everything I put in my mouth. In fact, I feel sorry for people who don't!
  • yoouperh
    yoouperh Posts: 68 Member
    I started out very quietly with 3 friends in another room at my work...a friend in my department asked what I was doing, and I told her, she's hooked, now her sister is hooked, and 2 other people are hooked in my department. I feel like I'm doing what I can for myself. If someone wants to join with me, I will happily tell them what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. If they don't, I won't talk to them about it. It doesn't pay to beat a dead horse!
  • At first my mom didn't take it seriously, she used to laugh at me when i asked her to save food boxes so I could see how many calories were in something. Now that I'm loosing weight it just makes her uncomfortable. But she'll be happy about it when she doesn't have to pay more for a prom dress in a bigger size. Everyone else that knows I'm counting has been supportive.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    No, how would they ever even know unless I was one of those types of bores who constantly talks about himself, his diet and how many calories certain foods have.

CLUE:
    Let's shut up about our diet and fitness program.
    Nobody outside MFP cares.....

^^LOVE this!! As any lawyer will tell you "Don't give them information they can hang you with."
  • Yes. I have friends that scoff at the idea of counting calories. And I understand their point. My friends are people that care about health and wellness, and that care about quality ingredients and wholesome eating. However, I think that they have a bias about calorie counting. That calorie counting is for people that want to spend all 1800 calories on low-fat brownies and mac and cheese...but only as many as they can fit in their daily limit. Somehow calorie counting has a rep in my crowd as being the unhealthy way of managing weight. I don't think they give people enough credit. It is one of many tools that people use.

So for me, it's not that people see it as an obsessive trait, but that by counting calories, people are ignoring the more important elements of a healthy diet.
  • ClioGayton
    ClioGayton Posts: 12 Member
    YES!! My co-workers and family members get really annoyed because I constantly point out how many calories everything has. Hey, if I can help people make healthier eating choices, I'll count calories all day long...

Hmm... Being critised by people is one thing, but constantly pointing out to others how many calories things have could get very annnoying tbh.
  • I'm on either my laptop or my iphone all the time anyway. I don't talk about what I'm doing unless asked (in general). So really, my friends/family are always supportive and they say I motivate them with whatever I'm doing. I don't judge them, they don't judge me.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Yes people do get annoyed and at first I felt a little weird about it but now I don't even care and some of them have even jumped on the bandwagon! :)
  • Druzbasky
    Druzbasky Posts: 1 Member
    Friends are supposed to be supportive.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    I think it secretly freaks my husband out that I weigh my food, but he's all about portions now so I guess I've converted him. He's also almost vegan now, which helps when I'm preparing meals and buying groceries.
  • briannw
    briannw Posts: 73 Member
    Yep -- but that is only because when they see us counting they are secretly going over how much crap they ate and they realize that you/we made the smarter decision
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    I know I'm late on this thread, but…

All the time!! Apparently I'm "obsessed" because I track *everything* I eat -_____-
  • I may be annoying them but not nearly as they annoy me with their constant temptations. How many times do I have to tell them I can't eat the junk food they are eating.
    Love this!
  • Yep, especially my parents. "I can't have that." "Why?" "It'll send me over my fat/sugar limit for the day." And then they complain about having to cook something special for me blah blah blah. I'm 21, Mommy. I can cook.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Most of my friends are busy entering their own cals lol! We've all inspired each other to be on here!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    I don't really tell anyone I'm counting calories...I feel it would weaken my efforts, I don't know why. So I just do it, and don't talk about it. But if I had the app (instead of using my computer), it might be a different issue.

Anyway, stick with whatever works for you!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    It seems the ones who most need to be counting calories themselves are the most bothered by the fact that I do it, lol. Doesn't matter to me. They can do as they please, as will I. I'm not eating for their bodies. I'm eating for mine ;-)
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    I may be annoying them but not nearly as they annoy me with their constant temptations. How many times do I have to tell them I can't eat the junk food they are eating.

This exactly!!! I told my co-workers I have to do this if I want to stay where I am!! The next time they brought cake they actually apologized..I then had to tell them I'm a big girl and can say no.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    My dad thinks it is ridiculous LOL. He always compares people from our country (Cuba) years ago when he was young, how they never counted calories or took supplements and they would lose weight and get strong. Unfreakingbelievable XD
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Possibly - I tune it out. I spent too many years getting heavier and sicker and wondering what I was doing wrong. Well, now I'm getting it right, and if it bothers them, tough toenails!
This discussion has been closed.