What do you tell yourself AFTER a break up?

Options
I'm usually pretty weary about asking these types of questions on here because there is no real way to delete a thread...

Anyways,
Let's say you were the one to call it quits
Let's say this person was an ex (you were trying to see if it could work) Problem #1
Let's say you had nothing in common with this person and they were unwilling to compromise
Let's say this person saw you after you dropped weight and didn't say anything
Let's say this person has those type of "female friends"
Let's say this person went on the 'rebound' (20 mins after) to those female friends and started flirtying/begging for attention
and communication... which pretty much proves you were right about the true nature of their "friendship" :sick:
Let's say you went out of your way to look nice and this person never complimented you
Let's say most of your female friends are in relationships or engaged and it's not that easy to go out and "mingle"
Let's say despite the person's bad qualities they did have good ones......
but let's say at the end of the day you felt like you were settling.

Blah. :ohwell: What do you honestly tell yourself and how do you handle a break-up?
Do you think it's easier if you ended the relationship? :indifferent:

Replies

• Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    "Time for some strange!!!!!"
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Break ups are hard no matter what side you are on. Relationships start because on some level you are attracted to another person and no matter what you are invested into that person with time, emotion and even money. Giving up that investment is what seems hard to me...but if you buy a car and it starts smoking...you probably ought to get rid of it.

If a relationship doesn't seem to be working, holding on because you have limited options is only a sure way to have a miserable life punctuated by a divorce or worse breakup while wasting the precious time you have on this planet.

Sorry if I am a little to the point. I work in healthcare and see all sorts of people in abusive relationships that don't see a way out because they fear giving up on horrible relationships and fear being alone. Holding onto a job, significant other or anything that causes you daily angst is no way to live.

Find a young professionals club/volunteer force with people your age to broaden your social scene if you want to try something new.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    people hardly ever answer my threads :grumble:
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    people hardly ever answer my threads :grumble:

Maybe everyone broke up with you. :laugh:
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options

NEXT!!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    You can't find Mr. Right if you're still clinging (in a way) to Mr. Wrong. Let him go - you are worth way more than that. :flowerforyou:
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Change the locks, and all your passwords.
    Get to steppin'!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I usually tell myself. I'm better off! And I can do better!
  • lilfurson
    Options
    I always think there are plenty of more choices out there.
    If it's not right it's not worth your time.
    It's better to be single than be unhappy.
  • SuzyQq02
    SuzyQq02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can't find Mr. Right if you're still clinging (in a way) to Mr. Wrong. Let him go - you are worth way more than that. :flowerforyou:

I love this! But yeah, I would remind yourself that you ended it for a reason. Onward and upward!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    No one should have to "settle". It isn't fair for you. Isn't fair for your partner. Cut your losses and learn from the experience!
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do not EVER settle. If you have to convince yourself they were good for you then he's not the one. Move on! Life is too precious to spend it with someone whom doesn't completely love you girl and if he did he would let you know! so cut your loses now. You deserve better!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

NEXT!!
    ^This. Life is too short to waste on those who don't appreciate you
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I always think there are plenty of more choices out there.
    If it's not right it's not worth your time.
    It's better to be single than be unhappy.
    This, and your stunning hun x
  • robynelaine77
    Options
    I can't say I've had many breakups, but I can say this; life is too short to settle. You can like/love someone, but that doesn't mean you are a good match for each other. There is a much better match out there for you, and when you find that better match, you will never regret the decision you just made. That's how it happened for me, anyway. Chin up, girlie. You are beautiful and full of love. Wait for someone who will love you back.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Change can be difficult!

But he's a loser.

Hold your head up high and realize that you now have an opportunity to have a loving and caring relationship with another beautiful human being like yourself. Someone that is deserving of your time and energy. Someone that will respect you and love you.

Don't second guess yourself.

Don't look back.
  • stephlake
    stephlake Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I tell my friends that struggle during a breakup to get a notebook and write down 5 things every day they are grateful for.
    Example : 1. I can watch anything I want to watch on tv tonite. 2. I can flirt with the UPS guy today, you never know he might have just become single too...
    ETC ETC .. If you look for the negative, then I gaurantee you that you will find it...

GOOD LUCK!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    "Good riddance," and, yes, it's easier if you're the one doing the breaking up, because you're not the one being rejected.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Amen.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    my first serious break up sounded like the guy you are discribing. i think the breaking point was when i was having surgery and told him how scared i was and he said "your over reacting" then when i was recovering for a week he didnt call. his excuse was he didnt want me to have complications (surgery was in my throat). he also did things like get a tattoo without telling me, he joined the ARMY. etc... i waiting around for him to come back, we had a final rise in our relationship, then he totally blew off our anniversary plans arived late etc. i was done with being tormented by him, he cried and said he could have immagined us getting married. in my head i was just thinking "who would want to marry you?" i used to get butterflies when he was in the room, but at the end i dreaded seeing him at all. i delt with that by moving on to (sadly) one of first guys best friends...

2nd serious breakup (1st guys best friend), he cheated on me with one of my best friends. right before prom. i ended up going with my gay best friend... i remember laying in bed, crying alot, panic attacks. drinking alot and going to clubs. and i am still smoking after picking it up after we were over. i told myself we would get back together, even tried to kiss him. he lead me on for about a week. then he accused me of being the problem somehow "had it comming". turned into a person i had NEVER seen before. putting things on fb just to hurt me and having his ex write me messages about how they were always planning on getting back together. i delt with that by going into his room, ripping everything down that i ever gave him. then i took his xbox back (which i had bought him). broke some stuff kicked some stuff then forgot about him. :]
    i delt with that by calling my guy friend and told him i wanted to get a hotel after prom and drink. those of you who think one night stands cant turn into a relationship are wrong :]

im now dating my best friend who was actully loved me through all of those jack offs. we had worked together for a long time and now live together. i guess i was just not at the right part of my life to realize that i wanted him too, even though he voiced how he felt about me all the time. (which was actully really creepy hehe)
    i have much more love for him then i have felt for anyone who has ever been in my life. he saved me <3

this post really brought up a lot of feelings for me and it made me realize that, yeah those times sucked. really really sucked. and i thought my life was over, or i thought i had to put up with things and they would get better. but truth is you dont have to. you dont have to settle for anything less then you deserve. if you wait, good things will happen. you deserve to be respected, loved, and charished.