Elliptical question

Options
I do 20-30 minutes in the elliptical then working out for 30 an hour lifting weights and I feel like nothing happens. When I do the elliptical I do it at level 15 and speed is at 7-10. The thing is saying I get 430 calories for 30 minutes. Anyways, I've read a lot about elliptical that it doesn't lose weight.

My question is that How come I have gained weight but look more toned. only beeing doing for 2 weeks. =(

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Youre lifting weights. Muscle is denser than fat and there for weighs more. Measure your waist and neck you'll probably see weekly differences.
  • ehaglin
    ehaglin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert (especially on ellipticals) but I do know that fat weighs LESS than muscle. When I first started working out I gained about 10 lbs without changing my diet. If you are gaining muscle that you didn't have before, you'd have to lose much more fat to have an overall net loss of your weight. In my experience, the weight gain from muscle gain slowed down and now I have started to lose weight since I'm also counting my calories.

Hope this helps, best of luck!
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    you might be gaining weight but that doesnt mean your gaining fat
    muscle weighs more so if your toning up it means you would be adding weight
    i agree with smeade20 measure yourself and you will see differences =D
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Probably because you are building more muscle mass than fat mass. Muscle weighs more.
  • matthewsq
    matthewsq Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can see the difference easy but I saw somewhere that muscle isn't that easy to gain?
  • cmeade20
    Options
    Are you lifting heavy and eating a lot of calories?
  • LadyK1824
    Options
    I like the elliptical and I didnt think I was burning alot of calories either until I got a HRM and boy was I burning more than I thought. So if you dont have a HRM, I think you should get one. Plus, once you see the numbers moving, it makes you wanna go longer and harder. As for the muscles, it will show a weight gain, but the good thing is you are loosing inches and I would take that any day! Good luck to you!
  • msjta
    msjta Posts: 51
    Options
    Please explain HRM... how do I get it?
  • teaqueen11
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor. You can get them at any sports and fitness store and maybe even walmart. There is usually a chest strap that talks to a watch like device that measures your heart rate. The fancier ones allow you to input your weight and height and it can then estimate how many calories your burnng based on how hard your heart is working (I think that's the general concept).
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's not that you're "gaining muscle" already. What's happening is your muscles are holding onto more water, which makes them *look* bigger. It's totally normal and okay - part of what they do when you start working them harder. :)
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    If your toning in less than two weeks, then I can only imagine that you are doing something good there. Good jjob and keep the ellipticL in your program
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Also you being a guy means that you gain muscle much more easily than a women would. Also it is not unusual to gain some water weight after you start working out after a long time.
  • msjta
    Options
    thank you both for the explanation and visual
  • msjta
    Options
    I just bought an elipical two weeks ago with hopes of burning calories...does it build excessive muscles? Can't deal with that well. My body tends to buff too much with muscles. I only do 10-15 minutes 3 times a week.
  • cmeade20
    Options
    It may tone your legs slightly but I don't see how it could buil muscles. It will give you a good cardio workout. I'd do atleast a half hour. If you're concerned about building too much muslce check out bodybuilding.com. They have tons of info including how to build lean muscle as opposed to bulky.
  • ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    When you are on the elliptical, remember to do some minutes in reverse too. Whole different muscle group and that direction really makes my heart rate go up. As some of the posts say, take your measurements, you are probably losing inches as you gain muscles. You are doing great, keep exercising.