Why am I always tired after I eat?

Options
Does anyone else have this issue? I will eat a meal, doesn't matter what food or how much food as long as its bigger than a snack, and I will feel wiped out like I need a nap. I know it takes energy to process the meal but I feel like this is excessive. Any one have any ideas?

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I read that fatigue after meals is the biggest sign of insulin resistance... maybe you should get checked out.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, it has been over a year since I had blood work done. I was told the last time I went in that I was flirting with being pre-diabetic. I changed my eating and lost a lot of weight since then but maybe it's not enough.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I read that fatigue after meals is the biggest sign of insulin resistance... maybe you should get checked out.

this! i am the same way and was told i was insulin resistant in December. i found cutting carbs has helped.
  • cbo2cute4u
    cbo2cute4u Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was gestational diabetic and am now borderline diabetic and that is one of the main signs and it is super important to have a post protein snack. Also if you work our in the morning your sugar should be at its highest if you are resistant and not on meds s workouts should help early in the day :) Hope it works out. Many Docs are supportive of weight loss and workout as management instead of meds. Good luck.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have this issue? I will eat a meal, doesn't matter what food or how much food as long as its bigger than a snack, and I will feel wiped out like I need a nap. I know it takes energy to process the meal but I feel like this is excessive. Any one have any ideas?

I used to feel like that too! I just went on a low carb diet and now I have tons of energy. I used to get daily headaches/migraines as well, those went away once I switched to LC
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

You might look back at normal meals, to follow along with excellent suggestions so far, and think about what do you eat first?
    The carb items, or the protein/fat items?

If no protein/fat or very little to eat first, there's your problem.

If you do, just try to switch the order. If you eat the carbs first and spike that insulin, the protein and fat in the meal aren't going to have time to help the situation by slowing carb absorption, and protein to release the glucagon.