McDonald's: there's more than egg in their folded eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• Iron_Diva
    Options
    While looking up the nutrition info to log into my food diary I discovered that there is a lot more than eggs in McDonald's "folded egg"... Although I shouldn't be, I'm a bit surprised that they can't just serve a real egg.

You would be surprised by what is in A LOT of restaurant foods. For example, Subway serves a chicken breast that has over 20 ingredients! http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I always sub a 'real egg' for items that have the folded egg.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Hey did you hear about their burgers?? Not sure of validity but a coworker told me she saw a spot on news about McD's and this pink goo they used to put in their hamburgers to make them last longer. I wanted to earl when she said that! YUCK!!!!!!!!
    Why if I want a hamburger I just cook it myself!!!!!!!

They don't use pink slime
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If you are thinking about eating an egg mcmuffin, don't! Here is the ingredient of their egg in the egg mcmuffin sandwich:

Egg
    Allergens: EGG AND SOY LECITHIN

USDA Grade A eggs, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

This is like trans fat central. I refuse to eat anything with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil in it. I don't know why it's so hard to use a real egg!

What? I managed a McDonald's for years. The egg McMuffin egg is simple. They come in STILL IN THE SHELL. Crack shell, drop on grill, cook. The extra ingredients are from the nonstick cooking spray used to keep them from sticking to the grill.

SMH

One of the reasons I'd rather eat Burger King IF I 'm going to eat a fast food breakfast!! I worked at Burger King for several years...I had to make the breakfast food every morning..so I KNOW that their eggs are real!!! McDonald's is just disgusting!!

Lol that reply was a little odd. So he tells you he managed at -->McDonald's<-- and they use a real egg in the shell. And you say McDonald's is just disgusting and BK has real eggs.. what are McD's then? Im lost D:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking about eating an egg mcmuffin, don't! Here is the ingredient of their egg in the egg mcmuffin sandwich:

Egg
    Allergens: EGG AND SOY LECITHIN

USDA Grade A eggs, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

This is like trans fat central. I refuse to eat anything with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil in it. I don't know why it's so hard to use a real egg!

What? I managed a McDonald's for years. The egg McMuffin egg is simple. They come in STILL IN THE SHELL. Crack shell, drop on grill, cook. The extra ingredients are from the nonstick cooking spray used to keep them from sticking to the grill.

SMH

Yup! This exactly ^ I worked there for 4 years, and used real eggs? I dunno what bs website you were looking at.
  • ashjonnatp
    Options
    not to be rude but who cares....if we looked at all the ingredients were in everything we ate im sure we would not eat! Eat completely organic if it bothers you that much!! Anything with an experation date honestly has something in it to make it last longer that is gross....Deal with it or dont eat.....Dont think that Chicken etc in injected with something to make it last longer.....I mean eat all natural foods i guess. For me i love egg and cheese mcmuffins im not dead and still losing weight! i eat the chicken at subway and im good. hope none of you eat hot dogs~! lol
  • alyrenee011
    Options
    I used to work at McDonald's too and I never saw them crack open an egg from the shell. I see them getting them already made out of the freezer...
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Homemade egg muffins are much tastier and they freeze well, too.
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey did you hear about their burgers?? Not sure of validity but a coworker told me she saw a spot on news about McD's and this pink goo they used to put in their hamburgers to make them last longer. I wanted to earl when she said that! YUCK!!!!!!!!
    Why if I want a hamburger I just cook it myself!!!!!!!

They are no longer doing this (Burger King and Taco Bell also stopped). See here:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/02/01/mcdonalds-announces-end-to-pink-slime-in-burgers/

I don't trust a burger joint that EVER did it to begin with. This mess has made me swear off of fast food altogether.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I used to work at McDonald's too and I never saw them crack open an egg from the shell. I see them getting them already made out of the freezer...

Odd, Burger King uses frozen eggs, no McDonald's I ever worked at did. Eggs in the shell for McMuffins, and liquid eggs from a carton for the folded and scrambled. Burger Kings eggs are premade and received frozen.

Either way, you can walk into any grocery store and buy the exact same products off the shelf. So why aren't we demonizing grocery stores?
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    In Canada, at least, the egg is just egg. It's a big feature in their commercials right now that every McMuffin has a freshly cracked Canadian egg in it. "Canada Grade A Large Egg. Cooked on a grill lightly seasoned with trans fat free cooking spray." But the processed cheese, bacon, and 'english muffin' are a whole 'nother story.

I wish they would do that here in the States! I'm going to try to bring breakfast with me instead of having to round up something from fast food joints. The local deli makes a nice homemade breakfast but they are not open early enough on Saturdays.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Just looked at the ingredients for the UK egg mc muffin and it states UK sourced free range egg. Ok so the rest of the meal may be suspect, but at least the egg's ok!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    not to be rude but who cares....if we looked at all the ingredients were in everything we ate im sure we would not eat!

There was an article in our paper by a cook who has written a book about how terrible all the processed foods we eat are. Then she offers recipes for alternatives -- using highly processed vegan alternatives to dairy products. Last I checked, neither soybeans or almonds had teats on them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, processed maybe, but soy milk and almond milk are both several hundred years old. I can think of much worse offenders when it comes to artificial food.

Before refrigeration in the West, drinking milk was rare, as it couldn't be stored in its raw form. Milk was turned into cheese and butter, and nuts were used to make "milk" for drinking. In the East, it was the soybean that was used.

Of course, that just proves the point that people have been eating "processed" food for thousands of years.