Check my food diary please

Options
And tell me where I am going wrong. I havent lost weight in a month. I checked my inches and nothing either. I dont log water but thats all I dring and lots of it. I did have a lg deficit yesterday but thats because I may go over today with a superbowl party.
I am 5'5 and 182 pounds. Please advise.....

Replies

• ginabgdc
    Options
    I looked and it looks pretty good. Wish I could help. I say keep it up maybe your due for a big loss soon.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Could try tracking your fats instead of something else for a bit, just to see how it adds up.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I noticed on your profile you said your Dad has diabetes and you previously lost 80 pounds on Atkins. As someone who has insulin resistance, I have to keep a close eye on my carb and sugar intake. Try cutting out as much processed stuff as possible (I see you eat french fried onions a lot), especially fast food and eat homemade food 90% of the time.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of conflicting advice here, so you have to remember that we all are going with our own philosophy about weight loss. But here's my 2-cents worth.

I notice you are avoiding grains and most other carbs. You have a banana, but very little else. Are you aiming for a low-carb diet?
    I personally would add more HEALTHY carbs into your diet - whole grains (whole wheat bread, oatmeal - not the instant kind, etc). There is lots of fiber and nutrition in the whole grain. Also, add a lot more vegetables. Again, you may up your carbs, but it comes with a lot of fiber, vitamins, and phytonutrients (chemicals that occur naturally in plant materials which are good for us, but science hasn't figured out how to put them all into a vitamin pill - or even identified everything for that matter). In my experience, if your body is not getting enough nutrients, it may be harder to lose weight. You might also want to add in a good multivitamin if you aren't already taking one ("good" doesn't necessarily mean expensive).

I would also track sodium instead of sugar. You are already tracking carbs, and tracking sugar as well is pretty much redundant (again, just my opinion!) I read recently that sugar in fruits is not the same as added sugar, because fruits also contain chemicals (nutrients) that tell your body what to do with the sugar so it gives you energy instead of just spiking your blood sugar levels and being converted to fat (it was in Parent's magazine, from a nutritionist about what kids should be eating, and I figure it applies to us as well). So, since you know to avoid sweets (and when you do indulge, it factors into your calories, so you aren't going to go overboard), you don't really need to track sugar. But I've found that it's super easy to go over on sodium, and that can make it hard to break through a plateau.

Change up your exercise routine. The easiest way to do that is to go to the library (or if you have Netflix, check there, too) and find some workout DVDs of things you've never tried before. You can try them basically for free so if you hate them you aren't out anything but if you love them, you can look for something more, either a live class or consider buying the DVD. When your body gets too used to your exercise routine, you burn less calories doing it, and you can plateau. If you walk/run try increasing your speed or adding in some intervals of high speed. And if you don't do any resistance, add that into your routine (yoga & pilates count, or you can try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, ripped in 30, or No more Trouble Zones; or other similar things). Building muscle boosts your metabolism.

I know how frustrating this can be. I've been playing with the same 2 pounds since Christmas. But I know that at least I am making myself healthier with the exercise and eating better, and once I figure out what is holding me back it will break through. Hang in there and good luck!
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just looking at this last week, your sodium was high a lot of days. That could explain a few pounds of water weight.

Have you tried upping your calories for a short time? Sometimes that will help you break a plateau. Or zig zagging them could help too.

BTW, like your quote...yo gabba gabba!
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    I agree sodium intake an be high-very high some days !

everyone has to tweek something somewhere different things for different people x
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your sodium intake is too high. I saw some days over 2500 mg. Try reducing to 1500 mg. per day.
  • DreamStriveBe
    DreamStriveBe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I noticed you're eating a lot of the same foods every day or every other day. Try changing your calorie intake by 100-200 calories in between days to help boost your metabolism. Have a day when you go a few hundred calories over( on healthy foods, like vegetables and nuts) and then have a day when you're right around your goal intake. Also, if you change what types of food you eat like maybe adding some more vegetables and cutting out some processed meat and fast food, your body will notice the change and will burn more calories naturally, causing you to lose more weight.
  • kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree, track your fats and DRINK YOUR WATER hehe...
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sodium looks high, protein looks low. I look at total fat and cal. from fat also.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would say watch the sodium! That is the one that always gets me too. More fresh fruit and veggies! Less chips - try Special K cracker chips. They are yummy!! More protein! Hope you get some good suggestions!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of conflicting advice here, so you have to remember that we all are going with our own philosophy about weight loss. But here's my 2-cents worth.

I notice you are avoiding grains and most other carbs. You have a banana, but very little else. Are you aiming for a low-carb diet?
    I personally would add more HEALTHY carbs into your diet - whole grains (whole wheat bread, oatmeal - not the instant kind, etc). There is lots of fiber and nutrition in the whole grain. Also, add a lot more vegetables. Again, you may up your carbs, but it comes with a lot of fiber, vitamins, and phytonutrients (chemicals that occur naturally in plant materials which are good for us, but science hasn't figured out how to put them all into a vitamin pill - or even identified everything for that matter). In my experience, if your body is not getting enough nutrients, it may be harder to lose weight. You might also want to add in a good multivitamin if you aren't already taking one ("good" doesn't necessarily mean expensive).

I would also track sodium instead of sugar. You are already tracking carbs, and tracking sugar as well is pretty much redundant (again, just my opinion!) I read recently that sugar in fruits is not the same as added sugar, because fruits also contain chemicals (nutrients) that tell your body what to do with the sugar so it gives you energy instead of just spiking your blood sugar levels and being converted to fat (it was in Parent's magazine, from a nutritionist about what kids should be eating, and I figure it applies to us as well). So, since you know to avoid sweets (and when you do indulge, it factors into your calories, so you aren't going to go overboard), you don't really need to track sugar. But I've found that it's super easy to go over on sodium, and that can make it hard to break through a plateau.

Change up your exercise routine. The easiest way to do that is to go to the library (or if you have Netflix, check there, too) and find some workout DVDs of things you've never tried before. You can try them basically for free so if you hate them you aren't out anything but if you love them, you can look for something more, either a live class or consider buying the DVD. When your body gets too used to your exercise routine, you burn less calories doing it, and you can plateau. If you walk/run try increasing your speed or adding in some intervals of high speed. And if you don't do any resistance, add that into your routine (yoga & pilates count, or you can try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, ripped in 30, or No more Trouble Zones; or other similar things). Building muscle boosts your metabolism.

I know how frustrating this can be. I've been playing with the same 2 pounds since Christmas. But I know that at least I am making myself healthier with the exercise and eating better, and once I figure out what is holding me back it will break through. Hang in there and good luck!

Good advice x
  • killajoe13
    killajoe13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I took a look at several days of your diary and I see some patterns which might be the cause of your stall. I listed some ideas/suggestions below, and I feel if you look them over you might find a fresh new look at your diet.

1. I find it interesting that you have chosen to have sodium listed as one of your nutrients on the top, but you have not put FATS as a tab item. Besides maybe having a biit too many salty foods which will hold water, you really need to show the fats.

2. Breakfast. Yeah, I know you are eating breakfast, but the 2 large eggs and sausage or bacon....it does not seem good in the sense that you are having fats (again, which are not listed, plenty of salt...but the concern is... YOUR CARBS for BFAST ARE TOO LOW TO NON-EXISTANT!!!) Its almost a given rule that you need a majority of carbs in the morning at least to kick start your bodys metabolism or it won't want to burn calories, rather store them. So eat more healthy carbs. 100% whole wheat toast would be great. Berries!!! Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries...has low sugar, has fiber, and good carbs. You will see weight falling off you fast. It has worked for me.

3. I won't go through some of your days, but just to comment on some of your food choices. I've noticed your diet is not 100% clean it it should not have to be. But Cheat meals should only be at most one or two a week. You are eating french fries, doritos, pizza, FRENCH FRIED ONIONS - several times thoughout the week...., fatty/rich salad dressings such as ranch and honey mustard. So when you eat these richer foods I would suggest have a day...mine is Sunday where you allow ONE MEAL that you can eat pizza with a salad with yoru fav. dressing.

4. I want to say you have made wonderful progress. Now with tweaking your diet and exercise you will get the results you want. Best of luck.

:)
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're retaining water.

Get an allergy test. I saw a Dr.Oz episode where allergies cause the lining of your intestines to be inflamed, absorbing nutrients abnormally, making food leach into the body. If you can't get tested, try eating an allergy free diet for three weeks. You'll find it on the Dr.Oz website. The two biggest culprits: Milk and Wheat

Avoid the following foods that contain a derivative of milk:
    CANNED TUNA
    PROCESSED MEATS
    COLD CUTS
    PROTEIN BARS
    PROTEIN SHAKES
    BAKED GOODS
    DAIRY
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am no expert by any means...but from someone who is diabetic...I would try and reduce your sugar intake...especially if diabetes runs in your family...also, eat more protein and healthy carbs.

This is a lifestyle change...one step at a time, just try something and if it does not work, try something else. It's a fun journey!!

Hugs.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would say try to incorporate more natural, unprocessed foods (fruits and veggies) into your diet and the fat and sodium will take care of themselves. Preplanning your food intake for the day helps too! I do it every morning to get an idea where I will be and then tweak it during the day but you can always see the outcome of your whole day and not be surprised when you get to the evening and have no calories, etc. left to eat.

Also, if you have to eat bacon,choose the low sodium kind or switch to Canadian Bacon.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    And tell me where I am going wrong. I havent lost weight in a month. I checked my inches and nothing either. I dont log water but thats all I dring and lots of it. I did have a lg deficit yesterday but thats because I may go over today with a superbowl party.
    I am 5'5 and 182 pounds. Please advise.....

You appear to have gone into maintenance mode, early. This happened to me last time I went onto a diet a few years back, I went into maintenance early and could not work out why my loss virtually stopped for a month.

You may need to rethink your daily calories and lower them. People will most likely slam me for this, but calories in versus calories out is what controls any loss, yours looks as though you are taking in the amount you are using up and so remaining static.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I think maybe salt is a problem here. I see canned chicken which contains salt.

Just try upping your water intake for a few days and I think you'll get a few lb drop.

Good luck!
  • lja20
    lja20 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're measuring your food, not just estimating--can make a big difference also. Good luck!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Lol, I took that "cut your calories" advice when I began and I went an entire month with 1 lb lost, got my calories closer to my BMR and now, 2 lbs a week, different strokes for different folks.
    I think for the most part you like many posters have already said, need to rethink your diet, too much processed not enough fruits and veggies. Better switch sugar out for fat too, I think you are going to be suprised. Healthy fats are fine but the fat in processed foods like bacon are going to suprise you. My husband is diabetic and his doc said total carbs was more important than sugar.