Zucchini Recipes

Options
aprilf
aprilf Posts: 34 Member
I have a "small" garden in my back yard this year and have recently harvested 5 sizeable zucchini. I'm looking for some reclpes that use zucchini in particular (though i'm also growing tomatoes, jalepenos, red & green bell peppers, and spinach. I'm not huge fan of a salad, though I know I could make those or zucchini bread. Ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I cut them thin and saute (with a little oil) with garlic and onions. Then, I top with a little bit of cheese. Way low cal for how good they taste!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I slice it thin and use it in lasagna in place of the noodles. Yummy- Cindy :heart:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I LOVE zucchini, I think it is a way underrated vegetable. I like it sliced thin and sauteed with a fried egg for breakfast. Or roast it, and mix it with some laughing cow cheese and stuff it in a mushroom cap. Or make veggie lasagna, or a baked ziti (whole wheat penne, ricotta cheese, veggies, spagetti sauce and mozzerella). Put it on kabobs with mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and beef! Put it on pizza. Make chili. I could seriously go on and on here, but I'll stop because all the excitement is making me light headed :laugh:
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I slice it lengthwise and put a little olive oil and sea salt and slap it on the grill....yummmm. I usually make extra it is really good in a sandwich.
  • abbie3857
    abbie3857 Posts: 12
    Options
    Check out Cook Yourself Thin site on lifetime.com, they have a wonderful recipe for Chicken parm using zucchini instead of noodles
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    if you want i have a zucinni cake recipe at home I can send you tomorrow. not sure the nutritional info but i know the cake is yummy
  • aprilf
    aprilf Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I found this on Better Homes and Garden's website. Grillin the zucchini right now.

Pita, cheese and Zucchini grill
    ingredients
    1 8-oz. block feta cheese, quartered
    1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
    1 medium red onion, cut in 1/2-inch thick slices
    1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
    4 pita bread rounds
    2 medium tomatoes, cut in wedges
    1 Tbsp. honey
    directions
    1. Drizzle cheese, zucchini, and onion slices with half of the salad dressing. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

2. On rack of charcoal grill place zucchini, onion slices, and a 6-inch cast-iron skillet (to heat for softening the cheese) directly over medium coals. Grill zucchini and onion for 8 minutes or until tender, turning once halfway through cooking time. Remove vegetables. Grill pita bread and tomatoes on grill rack for 2 minutes or until bread is toasted and tomatoes are lightly charred. Place cheese in hot skillet; heat for 1 to 2 minutes to soften.

3. To serve, cut zucchini in chunks. Drizzle cheese, vegetables, pitas, and tomatoes with honey and remaining salad dressing. Makes 4 servings.

nutrition facts
    Calories 404, Total Fat (g) 17, Saturated Fat (g) 9, Monounsaturated Fat (g) 4, Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 3, Cholesterol (mg) 50, Sodium (mg) 1352, Carbohydrate (g) 48, Total Sugar (g) 12, Fiber (g) 3, Protein (g) 15, Vitamin C (DV%) 30, Calcium (DV%) 35, Iron (DV%) 14, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/recipe/l_R117212.jpg
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have zucchini or yellow squash for lunch a lot. Slice it and put it in a microwaveable safe glass dish with cover. 3 minutes on high, then add 1/3 c of Weight Watcher's Mexican blend and 1/4 c of Ragu. Heat until the cheese melts. Yummy. (I also do this with frozen green beans).
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Zucchini (Low Fat Country Cooking cookbook)
    1 1/2 pounds hamburger
    1 large onion chopped
    1 large green pepper chopped
    1 jalapeno pepper, minced
    1 1/4 c. soft bread crumbs
    1 egg
    1 T dried parsley flakes
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce divided
    2 medium tomatoes chopped
    5 medium zucchini
    2 c shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    In bowl combine first 10 ingredients and one can of tomato sauce, mix well. Stir in tomatoes. Halve zucchini lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Fill with meat mixture; place in two 13 x 9 baking dishes. spoon remaining tomato sauce over each. Bake uncovered, at 375 for 45 min or until tender. Sprinkle with cheese during last few minutes of baking. 263 calories for 1/10 of the recipe. 24 g carbs, 24 g of protein, total fat 9 g, saturated fat 4 g, cholesterol 73 g, sodium 556 g. Enjoy!
  • HawaiianEyes
    Options
    I like to use foil pouches to cook veggie sides when I grill/barbecue. Slice up some zucchihi and coat them with a couple of teaspoons of olive oil and some garlic and Italian seasonings to taste before adding them to your cooking pouch. Set the foil pouch on your grill using an indirect heat method and you have an quick & healthy dish that complements beef, chicken or fish. You can add bell peppers or top with some diced tomatoes for color.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing is to grill them. I like a charcoal grill because you get great flavor. I have a grill pan for it and I'm always using it.
    I cut the zucchini lenthwise into 4, then into chunks. I also cut up onion, garlic, peppers (I love red, yellow, orange) eggplant if I have it. Add just enough olive oil to coat and some sea (or kosher) salt & pepper. I also like to add herbs. Rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano. Whatever I'm feeling. I'll eat it as a side, add it to salad.

I also make extra and grill some chicken too. Cut up the chicken then add it with the vegies to a can of diced tomatoes, one can of tomatoe sauce and 1/4c wine. I use either red or white depending on what I have. If you don't want to use wine you could use water or chicken broth. Add in some extra oregano & basil, simmer for about 30-45 min. It's a new version of chicken cacciatore. It's so flavorful from the grill! I even do it without the chicken.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    bumping for later use...I too have a garden...and I can only think of so many ways to cook this delish veggie. :heart:
  • lizzie84
    lizzie84 Posts: 54
    Options
    This is one of my faorite meals. I just make a huge pot and freeze it in cup portions.

1 lb. Italian sausage ( I grill them and slice them)
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    14 oz. italian style stewed tomatoes
    1 c. sliced carrots
    1 can great northern beans
    1 zucchini sliced
    2 c. fresh spinach- packed, rinsed and torn
    pepper to taste
    2 cans beef broth

Cook sausage and slice.
    In crockpot, add everything together except the spinach. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours, until veggies are cooked. Add spinach just before serving.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sliced zucchini, onion, crushed garlic, a tiny dab of butter, seasoning salt and worchesterchire in a foil pouch in the oven or on the grill. Steam and viola...great, low calorie, flavorful veggies!!!

210557.png[/url
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    You should check out vegetarian websites they give you so many recipies for zucchini it's not funny.
    Here is a link to a zucchini tart.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9879?section=
  • skearns
    skearns Posts: 16
    Options
    Here's a great recipe that is yummy hot or cold. I especially like it cold in the summertime.

Zucchini Soup

Slice up zucchini and put it into a sauce pan. Just barely cover the contents with chicken broth (or water and the appropriate amount of chicken bouillon). Bring to a boil and simmer until zucchini is tender.

Drain off about 3/4 of the broth. Let the zucchini and remaining broth cool for a bit and then at about a cup at a time, put it into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour blended zucchini into another container. Once you have it all blended, add some Mrs. Dash and/or salt and pepper, and curry to taste (it's good without the curry too).

Reheat to serve warm or chill to serve it cold. Serve with dollop of sour cream on top. I like it with a spoonful of pico de gallo salsa as well. Accompany with warmed whole wheat pita bread for a yummy low calorie treat that is very satisfying.

Now if only I could get my zucchini to grow...
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite thread ever. Thanks to everyone for sharing such yummy recipes.
  • Isaacsmama
    Isaacsmama Posts: 43
    Options
    mmm... i just made my first batch of chili ever today, featuring... you guessed it! Zucchini! OOOO, it was good. I dont like beans, but i wanted some chunkies and it worked great!
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Sounds good! Will you post that recipe please :flowerforyou:
    I slice it thin and use it in lasagna in place of the noodles. Yummy- Cindy :heart:
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I LOVE zucchini, I think it is a way underrated vegetable. I like it sliced thin and sauteed with a fried egg for breakfast. Or roast it, and mix it with some laughing cow cheese and stuff it in a mushroom cap. Or make veggie lasagna, or a baked ziti (whole wheat penne, ricotta cheese, veggies, spagetti sauce and mozzerella). Put it on kabobs with mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and beef! Put it on pizza. Make chili. I could seriously go on and on here, but I'll stop because all the excitement is making me light headed :laugh:
    Love the breakfast idea--thanks!