Pilates?

Options
Anyone else out there do Pilates? I just took my 1st class last night and felt pretty foolish! I clearly had no idea what I was doing. But I liked it and I can feel it today. Just wondered what everyone elses results where?

Also (I feel so stupid) anyone else couldn't do the sit ups properly the 1st couple classes?? Am I really that out of shape or are they really that hard??

Replies

• Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I love Pilates. I couldn't go to a gym that offers it in my area so I purchased the Malibu Pilates Chair (amazon.com site, not HSN). I found that it has really helped my endurance and flexibility without being high impact on my joints, muscles, etc. I highly recommend it to anyone. Once you get over the feeling of "silliness", you'll really start to enjoy how you feel. Let me know how you do.
  • roxie17
    roxie17 Posts: 71
    Options
    I just started doing the Malibu Pilates chair too! I love it! Somehow it tones you up good and helps your core/endurance. You do not feel like a massive work out but I am noticing the results in just a couple of short weeks:love::love: That is the way I start out my day is doing the Pilates chair. :flowerforyou: Works for me :happy:
  • tinah22
    tinah22 Posts: 4
    Options
    I love Pilates! I've been doing it for about 3 months now and it is definitely something you get better at the more you do it. There's a lot to think about when you're doing the moves and I've noticed I'm getting more core work out of the exercises now. I don't think you burn a ton of calories but I'm definitely noticing nice muscle tone developing. Also, I find myself thinking about my posture throughout the day and correcting myself when I'm slouching. Stick with it and you'll definitely get more comfortable with the moves. The sit-ups get easier too!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Abbie!

I love pilates and practice with Mari Winsor's DVDs at home...Pilates is like Yoga and Dance, always a work in progress...it is challenging but your strength will increase rapidly, more so than any other form of exercise in my opinion, and I used to run 5 miles a day and weight train 5 days a week with Marines.

Everytime you are unable to perform a move correctly just do the best you can and before you know it, you'll be strong enough to perform it correctly...sometimes it only takes one or two more workouts to obtain the strength...and I know if you stick with it...and I hope you love it like I do...you will be amazed at your progress.

I feel so good after every workout...often times I even feel taller after a good workout!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I just started doing the Malibu Pilates chair too! I love it! Somehow it tones you up good and helps your core/endurance. You do not feel like a massive work out but I am noticing the results in just a couple of short weeks:love::love: That is the way I start out my day is doing the Pilates chair. :flowerforyou: Works for me :happy:

After only a couple of weeks, my husband actually commented that he noticed a big difference. Trust me, for him to say anything, it must have be true...
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break. :flowerforyou:

Trust me, the first time you tried walking you couldn't do that either.

It's not about getting it perfect, it's about consistency.

If you're still doing Pilates (or any workout for that matter) in 100 days, as well as partaking in a healthy way of eating, you won't recognize yourself.
  • abbie3857
    abbie3857 Posts: 12
    Options

If you're still doing Pilates (or any workout for that matter) in 100 days, as well as partaking in a healthy way of eating, you won't recognize yourself.

Thank you!!! And thank you all for the encouragement!!! I just tried a yoga class and really liked that. I will give the Pilates a few more shots, I committed to at least 4 classes and hopefully will get the hang of it by then. I will give myself a break though and do my best :bigsmile:
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! And thank you all for the encouragement!!! I just tried a yoga class and really liked that. I will give the Pilates a few more shots, I committed to at least 4 classes and hopefully will get the hang of it by then. I will give myself a break though and do my best :bigsmile:

Namaste :smile: