Running

Options
I got in to running a lot over the past two months. At first I could barley run for a minute with out having to stop. I'm still not the best, but I really enjoy running. I was wondering what everyone's mile times are?

My mile time is 7:33 and at first I was so proud of myself to get that! But I keep hearing that my time is on the slower end for a mile. I'm going to try to increase my time to get in the six minute range, even if it's 6:59.

Any tips? Thank you everyone :)

Replies

• BigDaddy822
    Options
    I personally think that is a very good time. I usually run them between 8-9 minutes just to keep my heart rate in the right zone that I want. If I try to go my fastest I can usually do it in 520- 545
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
    My best mile time is 8:42 so your time is impressive to me!!!!
    I'd like to know how to get faster as well so... bump!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's really good! I'm still rather slow, but I haven't been training, I've been mostly running for calories and trying to avoid ice... let's just say that I'm the same as the OP... for 1km.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Anything in the 7s is impressive to me. If you really want to increase your speed, interval training is what you need to do. And what lunatic told you that your time was on the "lower end" for a mile? An olympic coach?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My best recent mile was in Nov at 5:57. The previous Nov I was lucky to break 12:00. A year of training makes a lot of difference.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My best recent mile was in Nov at 5:57. The previous Nov I was lucky to break 12:00. A year of training makes a lot of difference.

That's awesome to hear -- I'm lucky to break 12:00 now, and I'm looking forward to getting faster!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    As a marathon & half marathon kind of guy, I rarely ever run just one mile as fast as I can. When I do 3 x 1 mile repeats, those are usually down around 6:30 so I'm thinking I could run 6:10 or a little better.
  • ltruscott
    ltruscott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been running with the running room for a year now. My best times are with my group. I've just started the 1/2 marathon training, and there is no way I could do my tempo runs without my friends. Your time is awesome and keep it up, The more you get out, the better you will get.
  • mtnultra
    Options
    running is not about how fast you can go, it's about enjoying the run.

cliché I know, but that's my take. ymmv.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I got in to running a lot over the past two months. At first I could barley run for a minute with out having to stop. I'm still not the best, but I really enjoy running. I was wondering what everyone's mile times are?

My mile time is 7:33 and at first I was so proud of myself to get that! But I keep hearing that my time is on the slower end for a mile. I'm going to try to increase my time to get in the six minute range, even if it's 6:59.

Any tips? Thank you everyone :)

Ignore whoever says your mile time is slow, it is not. Nothing wrong with wanted to improve the time though, interval training as somebody else suggested is a very good way to go about that.

WTG on your mile time as it stands now, when you look back at how you started out running, you can see just how far you have improved :flowerforyou:
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's fast! Is that just running one mile and then stopping? If so I don't know how fast I can run just one mile. When I run 3 or 4 miles my time for an average mile is around 8.40-9mins. This has taken me a year to get here. I generally run a 4 miler in 35/36 mins. Well done
  • happygirl338
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try to start doing intervals to try to decrease my time. And yes, I can only do a mile. I wish I could do more and I am going to work on that also. I usually run one mile and then walk another two or three. I enjoy it a lot and I'm trying to increase how long I can run everyday :).
  • happygirl338
    Options

Wow! That's amazing! All of your hard work really paid off :).