Buying Clothes

Options
I've been a constant supporter of the "if I buy a size smaller, I'll lose weight," even though its really never worked for me. My question is now this, I've lost a little big of weight, enough to make me in-between pants sizes. Do I buy the larger size, that I constantly must continue to pull up (despite using a belt), and use the extra space between skin and fabric as motivation to keep it going? Or do I buy smaller, deal with the tightness, knowing that I will get extra wear out of them once I lose more weight, but face the idea that, seeing as when I buy smaller, I don't lose the weight at all (rather, I gain...)?

Which would be better motivation? Which would be more comfortable (as neither are, really)? Any recommendations or thoughts? Is this just me?

Replies

• 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Me....I'd buy smaller 'cause there ain't no way in h&ll I'm going back up to a bigger size! :laugh:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I never find that "all size 10s are the same"! I'd shop around and find a brand or make that fits, see if I could get them on sale, and choose a material/ cut that can be washed easily and worn frequently...
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do you desperately need the clothes right now? If not, I'd wait until you are officially in the smaller size and then buy it.
  • angelbeville
    Options
    Thrift Stores are my friend - espeially the local Goodwill. I call it the GW Boutique!

I buy "gently used" clothes that fit, often better quality/brands than I can afford new, and then "re-donate" them when I shrink to the next size.
  • ErikaKBee
    ErikaKBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with shopping around as well since all brands are not made equal. You don't want to spend too much unless you've met your final goal. I usually shop clearance so that I can be economical during the in-between times.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    smaller. also i would get a stretchy type brand like angels jeans
  • roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I avoid buying clothes till I have no other option (when there falling off) I plan to not stay in any size for to long till I hit my goal weight so I don't want to spend more than I have to on new clothes!!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I am also in between sizes. I have both in jeans but prefer wearing the bigger size.

I would try both on and see which feels more comfortable.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'd buy the cheapest of the smaller size. NO GOING BACK!!
  • JennyWestveer
    JennyWestveer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you don't have to buy new clothes, then don't. Wait a while.....especially since you're "in between" sizes! If you DO need to buy some new pieces....try buying a smaller size but in "stretch" material! This way you'll be more comfortable in the clothes you're wearing as opposed to having them cut into your sides! Clothes are too expensive to be uncomfortable in!
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I try to ignore the size and buy what fits. As womens' sizes are in no way uniform, size does not often matter. Cut, fabric and (for me) feel is what matters. I have also found a seamstress to help alter things I love. Great job!
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I feel the same! Don't buy until you officially fit in tge smaller size if you can.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thrift Stores are my friend - espeially the local Goodwill. I call it the GW Boutique!

I buy "gently used" clothes that fit, often better quality/brands than I can afford new, and then "re-donate" them when I shrink to the next size.

What an excellent idea!! I never thought of that -
    I have been wearing baggy sweats and tops! :(
  • Eliza117
    Options
    LOVE the idea of re-donating.

I'm going to wait, but keep a close eye out on the smaller ones. No looking at larger ones again if i can help it!

Thanks for the thoughts!