Any suggestions of 'cheap' healthy foods?

Options
I'm struggling to keep up with buying so much fruit & veg, and it's making my shopping bill go up so much!
I'm a student, and it's sometimes hard for me to afford nice healthy ready meals, or fresh produce.
Why is it the unhealthy food is so cheap when the food that's good for you is much more expensive?! Aaaaah!
Has anyone got any suggestions of more affordable types of healthy food, or veg/fruit? Or even cheap meals?
Sorry i'm still new to this!

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm on a $25/week budget (college kid here). I have a bag of onions that's lasted me a week so far, I always keep a couple of bell peppers (about a dollar apiece right now), a bag of lettuce (the one I have was maybe four?), and some squash in the fridge, also a box of instant rice (I know it's not as good for you as brown rice, but I'm not going to just throw away all that food). With those and a bit of garlic powder and olive oil I can make a ton of different things. I also keep some frozen chicken breasts in the freezer all the time. It was recommended to me to get chicken stock and buy some beans for soup, something I'm working on this week.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Lentils.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Lentils.

Bought a bag of these today, all of 94 cents, lol! Now I just need to experiment with them...
  • AimeeCofer
    Options
    beans!
  • emilysheafit
    emilysheafit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I coupon, not a lot but some couponing. I shop at Krogers so they have online coupons and a bunch of 10/10 items. Makes shopping way easy!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are just as good as fresh and are cheaper!!!
  • deborawrrx
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I always like stocking up on beans & pulses, it's just trying to think of exciting things to do with them ha!
    I only have a tiny freezer which makes it hard to buy a lot of frozen veg, but i'll have a scour round and see if theres any smaller bags kicking about :)
    What about meat etc? My boyfriends one of those people who doesn't think its a decent meal unless it has meat in it haha. Been buying a lot of turkey but getting slightly fed up of it!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started. Doing out a meal plan for the week has been a huge help. I get exactly what I need. I also make sure ingredients do double or sometimes triple duty. The peppers and onions will be for stirfry, fajitas, and snacks. The head of lettuce is for lettuce wraps and salads. I also like to make a really nutritious veggie stew with fresh and frozen veggies(super cheap) and keep that in the fridge for quick meals throughout the week.

Before I started planning I would just wonder around the grocery store grabbing everything that looked fresh, healthy and yummy. My grocery budget doubled! If I buy my favorite's, hummus, tabouli, and salsa it runs me around $15. That pack of hotdogs only costs me $2.50!

Hope this helps!
  • deborawrrx
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started. Doing out a meal plan for the week has been a huge help. I get exactly what I need. I also make sure ingredients do double or sometimes triple duty. The peppers and onions will be for stirfry, fajitas, and snacks. The head of lettuce is for lettuce wraps and salads. I also like to make a really nutritious veggie stew with fresh and frozen veggies(super cheap) and keep that in the fridge for quick meals throughout the week.

Before I started planning I would just wonder around the grocery store grabbing everything that looked fresh, healthy and yummy. My grocery budget doubled! If I buy my favorite's, hummus, tabouli, and salsa it runs me around $15. That pack of hotdogs only costs me $2.50!

Hope this helps!

That is a great idea thanks! I shall do myself a wee list of meals and hopefully get to the shops in the next few days.
    Never thought of hot dogs though! Are they good for losing weight? x
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    I always have frozen chicken breast. I also agree with another poster about the frozen veggies. You can get small boxes/bags for usually under $1. I buy the brown instant rice and when I cook it I use chicken or beef bouillon in the water to season it, along with some onions. The more you prepare yourself the cheaper it will be. I have a family of 5 and can buy groceries for the week on $60 if I have to (which I do lots of times). Check the "manager's special" section in the meat dpt, you can sometimes get some good deals on meat there, just be sure to cook that night or freeze it. One bag of apples will also last us a week, and apples keep for a long time in the fridge.
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/
    this is a really good website for recipe ideas that don't hurt the wallet
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Oats!!!
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    I want to add that when shopping in the produce section, avoid the stuff that is already chopped, shredded, etc. Buying it whole and then chopping, shredding, etc at home is a lot cheaper. I also agree with above poster who plans meals for the week. I also do that and it helps a lot!
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you can handle a trip to the supermarket most days, go there late on in the evening when they reduce everything that is about to go out of date. It'll be fine for a day or two
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    My suggestion: you better prepare or cook your own healthy food in bulk [like 5-6 servings] then pre pack them [with balance macros and enough portion size] and store them in the fridge so you can simply grab, preheat and eat it when your hungry. I always bought large amounts of the raw foods [good for 1 week budget] like brown rice, whey protein, skinless/boneless checking breast, fresh eggs, sweet potatoes, fresh veggies like broccoli, asparagus, celery, onions, garlic, etc. and learned to cook them myself with minimum salt or sugar. It may be costly at first but once you realize the benefits it will be easy. hope this helps. :-)
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    vegetables are cheap if you dont buy ready prepared. you can get a bag of root veg in asda/tesco for about £1, cook with water and a couple of vegetable stock cubes and you've got a big pot of soupt that will last all week at less than 100 cals a portion. have for lunch with wholemeal bread, or have some before dinner to take the edge of your appetite - you get your healthy serving of veg and will eat a smaller portion of dinner.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to keep up with buying so much fruit & veg, and it's making my shopping bill go up so much!
    I'm a student, and it's sometimes hard for me to afford nice healthy ready meals, or fresh produce.
    Why is it the unhealthy food is so cheap when the food that's good for you is much more expensive?! Aaaaah!
    Has anyone got any suggestions of more affordable types of healthy food, or veg/fruit? Or even cheap meals?
    Sorry i'm still new to this!

Do you have a Trader Joe's? They are very cheap. I feed my family (two adults, two young kids) for a little over $100/week by shopping at Trader Joe's. My produce is almost exclusively organic.
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i may have to do that as its cheaper
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have seen you are from Aberdeen do you have an ALDI up there? I use Aldi for all fresh fruit and vegetables this cut our food bill done an awful lot. They have Veg of the week every week and its always fresh and tasty we then use tescos for the rest of the shopping often looking for the tesco cheaper deals with low calories. Always buying things like yogurts that are on buy one get one free or even better buy one get two free. I agree with the made a plan and buy in bulk buy a big pack of the tescos special value onions and mushrooms they often get two or free meals out of these. I buy the big pack so I can add Peppers and Mushroom to my salads to bulk them out a little bit. You just have to look for the cheapest items check the calories and if they are not bad compared to named brands go with it. You will be supprised at what 'normal' foods you can get into your meals. The only meal I have changed is lunch time I have a salad or soup rather than the two sandwiches I used to have. I then have a normal tea.
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    that is too far i need something closer..