IBS anyone have any tips?

Options
I have IBS and for the last few months have been having a terrible time with it, it's a large part of the reason I'm trying so hard to get healthy, diet seems to be my only way to control it.
I go from not being able to go for up to a week, to not being able to leave my house for fear of not being near a washroom.
I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips for dealing with it? It seems the only time I can go is when I take something but then I have the oposite problem, it gets in the way of my working out (I walk and can't really do so when the IBS flairs up) and it can be very frusterating becasue I won't lose wieght becaseu I haven't gone in days!
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Replies

• lmdavis804
    lmdavis804 Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi,

I also have IBS. I have found that as long as I keep my fiber where it should be things go pretty well for me. I know that there are rx's out there, but I am not much for medications. Good luck. :wink:
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thanks,I'm allergic to the meds so that's not an option for me, hence the trying to get healthy and control it on my own:happy:

ps is there no spell check here, I'm a horrible speller! LOL
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer. I too have the same issue(s)
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I have IBS also, I keep my fiber up and have fiber tablets around just in case. Ask your pharmacist for a brand and dosage that you can take everyday like a vitamin supplement.

While I do not take them everyday, my doctor told me it is important to get something that is that mild and not habit forming.

I put "foods to avoid if you have IBS" in as an internet search and got a good return. Here is one of the links - http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/178966/ten_foods_to_avoid_if_you_have_ibs.html?cat=22

I know I use to be on a restricted diet for it, but don't remember the particulars as it did get better over the years.

Good luck!
  • cmalborn
    cmalborn Posts: 2
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I also have IBS...Cut out pop that is a real killer for it. Just try to keep track of what foods you are eating that make it flare up. It is different for everyone. I noticed that when i was at the point were i couldn't leave the house cause of using the restroom so much, I would take a prilosec or somesort of ant-acid and that helped me. Good Luck, a fellow IBS sufferer
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I have Colitis, which is similar. For me, I rely on meds pretty religiously and it's done me well. Since you can't my only advice (from what I've learned) is that when you feel a flare up coming on you must let your body keep its strength for your digestive system and not go thru a tough workout on top of it. There are times when I've totally overdone it, and then I can actually start to feel the flare up. At that point I make sure to give myself plenty of rest before anything gets worse.

Sorry if it doesn't seem like it applies to your situation. I guess I'm really just saying listen closely to your body.

Good luck.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Hi Daisy_May

I have IBS too. I found that several things have really turned things around for me. I do not take meds, only because I cant afford them. So, my only option to control the symptoms was nutritionally.

I eat yogurt every single day. I drink a TON of water. I keep the fiber high and the fat as low as possible. I eat alot of natural fiber, but there are some days that I supplement with Benefiber when I feel my body needs it.

I'm staying away from processed unnatural foods as much as I can, but within reason because its really expensive to get the organic stuff so I pick and choose what I eat the most of.

I have been eating this way since December and, thank God, I've only had 2 flare ups and that was because I strayed and ate fatty foods.

Good luck!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Oh one more thing I've found....stay away from fake sweetners, like those in diet pop, diet gum etc.

Xylotol (spelling??) is a killer for IBS and is known to irritate the whole system for those of us with IBS.

Do some searching on the net...there are good sites that help you narrow down your trigger foods so you can avoid them.

Sorry...had to add this on to my last post! :smile:
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I do know a lot of my trigger foods and do stay away from them, I've never been a big pop drinker but I have always been a tea granny and have cut down to one caffenated cup a day and mostly drink pepermint tea now:happy:
    I guess maybe it's just a matter of waiting for my body to get used to the new way I'm eating.......
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I've had IBS since my early teens, and I've had some terrible times with it, so you have my sympathy.

Keep a food diary (which if you are on here you'll be doing already) and keep a note of how you are feeling each day, both with your symptoms and emotionally. You might find that there are certain foods which trigger your symptoms. You may also find that stress can trigger it as well. I find that very fatty foods and refined (white) carbs make me worse, but I think it is different for everyone. Small regular meals rather than large infrequent meals might be more easy for your stomach/gut to deal with. Fibre helps, but with me it has to be soluble fibre, like that found in vegetables rather than insoluble fibre like bran. That just stuffs me up. Avoid highly processed foods too.

You might be allergic to the meds, but have you tried peppermint oil? You need to get it in capsules that are designed only to dissolve when they get to your intestine (rather than in your stomach where it would just give you terrible acid), there is a brand in the UK called Colpermin which you can buy over the counter. They don't work for everyone, but they might work for you. They were the only meds that made any difference to me over the years.

As you learn what works for you, I promise it will improve, it just takes a while to work it out. I know at the moment it seems like you'll never be able to get on with life, but you will be able to. I've got a lot better since I've been watching what I eat.

Good luck and send me a message if you want any more info.

Erika x
  • juliep63
    juliep63 Posts: 84
    Options
    My mum and I use this stuff called Normacol. It's granular substance that comes in a pouch, and you drink it with water. The stuff works miracles. Also, if you talk to your doctor, they have different prescription meds available.

Good luck!