my diet concerns for some members of mfp

Options
Hi guys

I have a few concerns regarding people and what i have seen in their diaries, as follows:

1. MFP gives everyone a target daily calorific intake to reach a certain weight, now eating well below this or the net effect of excercising and eating being well below this target... surely the individual will tend to lose more lean tissue than actual fat?

e.g. should a person who's goal is to consume 1200 calories, but they burn 600 excercising then actually eat 1800 calories?

2. Some people are eating too many empty calories but are coming under/on target. Are they cheating themselves in the long run?

Sorry if this comes across wrong but i am genuinely concerned for people.

Replies

• MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, is my diary one of those? lol. Not quite sure what you mean with "empty calories"?. Because to be honest, I haven't got a clue of what I'm doing, I just eat what I want most of the times and try to do exercise to be able to eat more or to be in soem green numbers at the end of the day :D (however I've been putting on weight for the last two weeks, even though I've tried to eat healthier than ever, well, or sort of :D
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your concern for other people, but what I have learned from responding to posts or from reading posts is that you cannot really voice your concern because alot of times you will get blasted for it. Different things work for different people and if its working for them, they will be completely resistant to your suggestions. I see plenty of food diaries that consist of small snacks rather than real meals. I see people eating 1000 or less calories and being congratulated for that. Yes they are losing weight but that will not work for them in the long run but who are we to tell them otherwise. its something they will have to figure out on their own. I see plenty of people eating like birds and losing 1-2 lbs per week while I am eating over 2,000 calories per day and only losing 1/2 lb per week (granted Im only looking to lose a few lbs). I would rather know that I can eat over 2,000 calories per day and still lose weight at a slower rate then eat very little to the point where I am hungry all the time and feel like Im starving myself.

The best thing that you can do in my opinion, is focus on YOUR goals and make sure you are doing what you need to be doing for YOU!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    They'll figure it out eventually. When I first started counting calories, I ate a lot of crap and when I ran out of energy, I stopped counting calories and ate anything and everything. Now, I try to get my fill of nutritious foods, but I still don't count calories anymore.

Everyone will do what works best for them, or they will stumble around while they figure it out. Either way, they'll live.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    Oh gosh, is my diary one of those? lol. Not quite sure what you mean with "empty calories"?. Because to be honest, I haven't got a clue of what I'm doing, I just eat what I want most of the times and try to do exercise to be able to eat more or to be in soem green numbers at the end of the day :D (however I've been putting on weight for the last two weeks, even though I've tried to eat healthier than ever, well, or sort of :D

hello

I have not looked at yours :-P
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    All you can do is keeping focused on you.Weight loss is a personal thing and the fact people are slightly open to sharing what they are consuming is very risky.Most aren't really wanting to lose weight because of the real changes that have to happen.Only help those who really seem to want help.Yes there are alot of empty calories bc people are under the guise you can still eat what you want just smaller portions..instead of eating 5 taco bell taco's just eat 2..its still garbage they are eating just less of it..just mind your mule and share titbits along the way..
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    I totally understand your concern for other people, but what I have learned from responding to posts or from reading posts is that you cannot really voice your concern because alot of times you will get blasted for it. Different things work for different people and if its working for them, they will be completely resistant to your suggestions. I see plenty of food diaries that consist of small snacks rather than real meals. I see people eating 1000 or less calories and being congratulated for that. Yes they are losing weight but that will not work for them in the long run but who are we to tell them otherwise. its something they will have to figure out on their own. I see plenty of people eating like birds and losing 1-2 lbs per week while I am eating over 2,000 calories per day and only losing 1/2 lb per week (granted Im only looking to lose a few lbs). I would rather know that I can eat over 2,000 calories per day and still lose weight at a slower rate then eat very little to the point where I am hungry all the time and feel like Im starving myself.

The best thing that you can do in my opinion, is focus on YOUR goals and make sure you are doing what you need to be doing for YOU!

Hey that is well said,

I don't open my mouth or type because i don't want to upset people, however if i see someone meeting their calorie target with 80%plus nutritious food i will compliment them as they are the examples for everyone else.

thats a good point about being full and losing slowly... its how it should be and that way you will stick to it.

Everyone... how good does she look!!!!!!!!! you look AWESOME
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    All you can do is keeping focused on you.Weight loss is a personal thing and the fact people are slightly open to sharing what they are consuming is very risky.Most aren't really wanting to lose weight because of the real changes that have to happen.Only help those who really seem to want help.Yes there are alot of empty calories bc people are under the guise you can still eat what you want just smaller portions..instead of eating 5 taco bell taco's just eat 2..its still garbage they are eating just less of it..just mind your mule and share titbits along the way..

"just mind your mule" i like that :)
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    I am not saying i eat well ALL the time, actually today i have been eating total cr@p!!!!!! But i know i have..i think many are really kidding themselves though :(
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I can certainly appreciate your concern for others...it is hard to see things going on and not chime in with totally good intentions. Yeah, people will blast you for it and that is unfortunate. This is a healthy forum and we are all searching for the way...btw...I hope you don't look at my diary :)
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Be concerned about your own diet and let others be concerned about theirs, unless they ask for your help. Regardless of what your personal issues with food are, no one likes to be called out on it by a total stranger. If someone asks, offer your best, non-judgmental help. But if they don't, it's really better to mind your own business.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    hi anabelle

I never advise people on their diets on here but sometimes it does make me concerned... but like people have said they will see its not working and may find a way/give up.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I find other people's diaries fascinating.
    Some tend to eat foods that I consider total rubbish, but they're losing weight & doing really well, so good on them.
    I also love reading about all the 'diet' products you guys have in the U.S - so many things already tailored for weight-loss. We have nowhere near the amount over here, so it seems (for want of a better word) 'easier' in America to grab something low-cal & prepackaged all ready to go straight off the shelf.
    It makes me a bit jealous actually, but then I remember all the things I've heard about food in the USA (absolutely HUGE portions, cheap 'junk food', and a very high obesity rate) and realise that the journey is just as difficult for all of you as it is for those of us down here.
    So, I love seeing all the different diaries, and seeing how everyone is tacking their own individual goals, plus I get lots of ideas to try. Just yesterday I was so excited to find Laughing Cow cheese in my local supermarket (I wasn't even looking for it) and knew it was something I'd heard about on here so bought some to try. And it's ok - a bit plastic & fake tasting, but at 20-something cals I'm happy to give it a go :smile:
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options

hello

I have not looked at yours :-P

Well, you certainly can, I'm one of the few persons in this world that may follow other people's advice, because I'm also concerned about people and I tend to give advice mysel :D. Now.. off to dance those calories so I can eat something else, as I'm starving! D
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of concerning food attitudes and behaviour, as well as many food diaries that are cringe worthy. Particularly among the younger female set. It seems now that thinner is always better no matter the cost. When I graduated high school I weighed 130 at 5' 3.5, word a size six and had full blown curves. I never thought I was too fat. I loved my body and took care of it. The seeming prevalence of what strikes me as borderline eating disorders here is upsetting.

I have my goal set for .5 loss per week, but I usually try to eat closer to my 1 pound goal. So many days it looks like I undereat calories when in reality I just want that wiggle room to be able to eat a little more sometimes without going red. I cam eat to my upper calorie goal and still know I'm in a deficit. But I try to always eat real food.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Empty calories are things like alcohol or candy that have calories but NO nutrients!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I find other people's diaries fascinating.
    Some tend to eat foods that I consider total rubbish, but they're losing weight & doing really well, so good on them.
    I also love reading about all the 'diet' products you guys have in the U.S - so many things already tailored for weight-loss. We have nowhere near the amount over here, so it seems (for want of a better word) 'easier' in America to grab something low-cal & prepackaged all ready to go straight off the shelf.
    It makes me a bit jealous actually, but then I remember all the things I've heard about food in the USA (absolutely HUGE portions, cheap 'junk food', and a very high obesity rate) and realise that the journey is just as difficult for all of you as it is for those of us down here.
    So, I love seeing all the different diaries, and seeing how everyone is tacking their own individual goals, plus I get lots of ideas to try. Just yesterday I was so excited to find Laughing Cow cheese in my local supermarket (I wasn't even looking for it) and knew it was something I'd heard about on here so bought some to try. And it's ok - a bit plastic & fake tasting, but at 20-something cals I'm happy to give it a go :smile:

Don't be too jealous! Most of those packaged diet foods are either really high in sodium, sugar, or contain artificial sweeteners and a list of ingredients I can't even begin to pronounce. You (general you) are so much better off learning to eat real food in proper portions. You are right about portion sizes here - they are enormously bloated. In some fast food places a 'medium' soda is 32 ounces!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Empty calories are things like alcohol or candy that have calories but NO nutrients!

If you don't count Taste as a nutrient. Not everything we eat has to be full of nutrients! As long as we get our macros and nutrients from other things, we can have something we actually eat purely for the TASTE, and not as it gives nutrients.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP was trying to bash anyone, just giving his two cents
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    I don't think the OP was trying to bash anyone, just giving his two cents

Well put and thanks friend :)
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Hey that is well said,

I don't open my mouth or type because i don't want to upset people, however if i see someone meeting their calorie target with 80%plus nutritious food i will compliment them as they are the examples for everyone else.

thats a good point about being full and losing slowly... its how it should be and that way you will stick to it.

Everyone... how good does she look!!!!!!!!! you look AWESOME

This is my personal opinion... If you have information or knowledge you want to share with me, I am completely open and want to hear it. The more I can learn and the healthier I can be the better. If you have some expertise in the area, then by all means share what you feel is appropriate. I would never "blast" someone when they share their experience or knowledge with me. I am like a sponge.... I will take everything in, what works for me I keep, what does not- I let go.
    I think some people may have unrealistic goals. I personally expected that as heavy as I am and what seemed like a drastic eating change, I would have lost more, more quickly. I have lost and gained the same 2 lbs over the last 2 weeks. So, I am tweaking things to see what really works for me. And others may be doing the same. I think one of my issues may be that I am under estimating the amount of food I am eating. I don't measure...except salad dressing. I just use the palm, cards, dice est. So, I may be eating more qty than what I log.
    Ignorance is bliss... and if people are doing something that is not good for them and you could say something that MIGHT help... don't hold your tongue for fear of backlash. Stand your ground. Share what you know. There is a lot of BS out there..if people have half a brain or care, they can figure that out for themselves.