Help! I eat too much protein EVERY DAY!

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm desperate for help, the tracker for Carbs, Fat and Protein in the food diary are awesome, but it says I am eating double the amount of protein I should every day. I'm only one week in to my lifestyle change but it seems even when I am eating the healthy foods I am still getting too much protein. What foods should I be eating that have little or no protein? So confused!

Thanks for any input, I'm lost.
Rachelle

Replies

• fetchfury
    fetchfury Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i think is generally accepted on here that the protein goal is WAY too low. Don't worry about going over on proteins just stick to your calorie intake.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You can customize your target for protein. I think most people do increase theirs above the default, as it is REALLY low. I have mine set fairly high (for me) and rarely ever meet it. Actually thinking of adding more to my diet in the form of whey protein.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I hit 100 grams of protein many days and it's never caused any problems with loss for me. Watch your calories and don't go over your carbs (strangely, your fat is less of an issue than your carbs). Make sure you EXCEED the 64 oz of water/clear caffeine free liquids. You'll be fine.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! WTG most ppl dont get enough!... Congrats! Don't worry about it!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    This is a good thing.... the default settings are less than half of what I want to get.
    I changed my settings to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat and it works much better for me.

Protein is the one thing you WANT to go over if you're still using the defaults.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i think is generally accepted on here that the protein goal is WAY too low. Don't worry about going over on proteins just stick to your calorie intake.

I don't think it's way too low; most days I can't even reach the goal myself. However, if you're eating a lot of meat I can see how it would be easy to be consistently over.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Just try and have balance. I always try and get more veggies whenever I can. :)
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic or have kidney problems, dont worry about being over. Especially as you work out. You will need to eat more protein anyway. But if you do have kidney or circulatory issues, consult a nutritionist or your doctor.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I hit 100 grams of protein many days and it's never caused any problems with loss for me. Watch your calories and don't go over your carbs (strangely, your fat is less of an issue than your carbs). Make sure you EXCEED the 64 oz of water/clear caffeine free liquids. You'll be fine.

Yep, exactly this.
  • teamwingnut
    Options
    I'm just echoing what it appears everyone else is saying in response: congratulations on getting in that much protein! Even between my protein shakes and trying to make my meals more protein-centric, my daily intake ends up being more carb-heavy.
  • tamgrl78
    Options
    You can never eat too much protein. I am a personal wellness coach and their goals for protein on here are much lower than what you should be intaking daily. Don't worry about it, more protein is a good thing!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Most Americans eat way too much protein. A woman who is not lifting weights should get around 45 gram of protein; a man around 55-65 grams of protein. If you lift weights, you should eat more, but 95 grams is generally the cut off.

It is not a matter of not being able to lose if you eat too much protein. It is a matter of what it is doing to your body - in particular your kidneys and bones. The waste product from protein digestion needs calcium to remove it from the body. Calcium is the carrier molecule or ion. If you are not getting enough calcium, it is stripped from the bones in order to remove the protein.

Protein is a large molecule and does not pass through the glomerulus (the little capillaries in the nephron which is the unit in the kidneys that produces urine) easily. It is carried to the proximal tubule where it is secreted by the body and picked up by the proximal convoluted tubule. (I am not making this stuff up. I teach anatomy and physiology and have taught nutrition, so I know this stuff fairly well, but things do change.) If you eat too much protein, it taxes the kidneys because it makes it difficult to secrete the protein waste into the urine. In order to do so, it needs the calcium ion to carry it across from the capillaries in the kidneys to the proximal convoluted tubule.

Do not take the amount of protein you eat lightly. You need protein to maintain cell and muscle function and repair damage to those structures. You do not want to eat so much that you damage your kidneys or get osteoporosis. Stick to the guidelines and you will have enough protein in your diet to take care of your bodily needs, but not too much that you will damage your kidneys or bones.

Hope this helps. If you really are concerned, toss some my way. I am always protein short, rarely making 45 grams a day. Just went out and bought some whey protein because of this issue. Hope it taste good!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Where did you get this "research"? :sad: :sad: :sad:

OK, you are a vegetarian....:noway: Have fun not eating meat, but please don't sprout this nonsense to people who actually ask for advise....:sick:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Most Americans eat way too much protein. A woman who is not lifting weights should get around 45 gram of protein; a man around 55-65 grams of protein. If you lift weights, you should eat more, but 95 grams is generally the cut off.

It is not a matter of not being able to lose if you eat too much protein. It is a matter of what it is doing to your body - in particular your kidneys and bones. The waste product from protein digestion needs calcium to remove it from the body. Calcium is the carrier molecule or ion. If you are not getting enough calcium, it is stripped from the bones in order to remove the protein.

Protein is a large molecule and does not pass through the glomerulus (the little capillaries in the nephron which is the unit in the kidneys that produces urine) easily. It is carried to the proximal tubule where it is secreted by the body and picked up by the proximal convoluted tubule. (I am not making this stuff up. I teach anatomy and physiology and have taught nutrition, so I know this stuff fairly well, but things do change.) If you eat too much protein, it taxes the kidneys because it makes it difficult to secrete the protein waste into the urine. In order to do so, it needs the calcium ion to carry it across from the capillaries in the kidneys to the proximal convoluted tubule.

Do not take the amount of protein you eat lightly. You need protein to maintain cell and muscle function and repair damage to those structures. You do not want to eat so much that you damage your kidneys or get osteoporosis. Stick to the guidelines and you will have enough protein in your diet to take care of your bodily needs, but not too much that you will damage your kidneys or bones.

Hope this helps. If you really are concerned, toss some my way. I am always protein short, rarely making 45 grams a day. Just went out and bought some whey protein because of this issue. Hope it taste good!

How can you put a gram limit per day when one person may weigh 120lbs & another 300lbs?

http://thebodyevolutionreport.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/40-things-you-should-know-science-part_3944.html

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney.

To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study
    Options
    Hehe, if only it was as easy as throwing some your way!! Thanks for the explanation. Even though the default says I am eating too much, from the general response on here, I don't think I'm eating enough to do kidney damage, and I have no history of kidney problems or anything like that. And I'm not lifting weights :happy: Thanks again for the reply

Shell
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR RESPONSES!! I'm still new to this whole lifestyle change thing and panicked when I thought I was doing something wrong without knowing it, I will absolutely be changing the settings. For everyone who is struggling to meet your protein goals, I can't really help you there, because there is protein in everything!! Milk, cereals, breads, salads, even fruits are adding up my protein intake, although I can see how vegetarians would miss out on a lot.

Good luck everyone on meeting your goals

xx Shell
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Pssst... even vegetarians can drink protein shakes to get enough protein ... it doesn't have to be from MEAT.

And to the ridiculous response from the chick eating like zero protein -- stop spreading silly research.

PS Also higher protein/lower carb is PERFECT for diabetics (someone mentioned that diabetes was a problem too.. and its not - but carbs are! - they turn into sugar.)