What do you eat post work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• nickyherg
    Options
    Iso-100 protein powder with water or skim milk.
  • crixmix
    Options
    Protein shake with water, and a nice feed of carbs to spike the insulin levels which will help deliver the protein straight into the muscles. Don't have protein with milk EVER, it takes too long to break down the complex proteins in the milk and it uses the protein in the powder as an energy source to complete this process. As a result, you'd be lucky to absorb a third of the total protein you consume so stick to water.

So does this mean chocolate milk isn't a good post w/o option?

I've always made a protein smoothie with water.
  • Verbalcody
    Verbalcody Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That stuff about proteins in milk is classic broscience

I have a protein shake... with milk. And a peanut butter sandwhich
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    i LOVE having tropical fruit - such as mango, papaya and pineapple, etc, with a good dollop of natural yogurt (no fat or low fat of course). also gives me that sweet taste that i usually want after a good gym session! x

This sounds really good - I will have to try it!
  • destined2bfit4life
    Options
    bump
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Protein shake with water, and a nice feed of carbs to spike the insulin levels which will help deliver the protein straight into the muscles. Don't have protein with milk EVER, it takes too long to break down the complex proteins in the milk and it uses the protein in the powder as an energy source to complete this process. As a result, you'd be lucky to absorb a third of the total protein you consume so stick to water.

Do you have any studies to support your claims here?

You're saying that you intake carbs to spike insulin to help deliver amino acids to muscle cells but for some reason there is something in milk which slows this down?
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Lately for me its been an apple and whey protein immediately after and then Chicken pasta Alfredo with sauteed onions and mushrooms shortly after that.

Sometimes I make a protein cake.

Other times maybe cereal with protein powder mixed in.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Lately Ive been doing:

1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 container of greek yogurt (usually strawberry or cherry)

OR

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 container of vanilla greek yogurt
    2tbsp PB2 peanut butter
  • Cycl0tr0n
    Options
    Chocolate ovaltine, and it rocks my world.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    WRONG!
    Where did you get that?
    A supplement company advertisement?
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    breakfast or dinner, since i work out immediately before those two meals each day.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    This info is incorrect. The absorption rate of your protein makes no difference post workout or any other time. All that matters is your total energy balance at the end of the day and the macros contained within. You may consume whatever you wish post workout. This myth was started by supplement companies to sell protein powders. Spiking insulin post workout is not necessary unless your going to train that same muscle in the same day or you're an endurance athlete.
  • SalsaSuzQ
    Options
    dark chocolate flavored almonds ^.^~
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt or apples with peanut butter
  • mfrano
    mfrano Posts: 16
    Options
    I have 2 pieces of wheat toast, one egg, light yogurt and a pack of Emerald 100 calorie roasted almonds~ That is usually around 10am and that counts as my breakfast and lunch! With plenty of water
  • koolmum
    Options
    I have a question while we're on the topic of protein....

Does consuming protein post workout help decrease DOMS at all?

ETA ~ the search function for DOMS brings up some interesting posts. LOL