WATER! How do you guys drink so much???

Options
I'm always amazed at the people who drink gallons it seems each day...I feel like I am always filling my glass throughout the day but never seem to even manage to get the 8 cups in a day that they recommend...any tips to the big drinkers out there how you get so much in without also being in the bathroom 500 times per day? :smile:
:drinker:

Replies

• dharju
    dharju Posts: 12
    Options
    your going to the bathroom 500 times a day because you are dehydrated, your body has to get used to all the water, it will balance out. This was really hard for me to get used to but now I'm starting to like it. I drink water while I'm making meals and while I'm checking emails. I can't give up coffee through so I am trying to drink extra water to make it up.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I go by the amount of 16oz water bottles I drink. Each one should count as 2 or so cups. I have one in the morning with my vitamines, 1 for lunch, another dinner, and some between and after workouts
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This topic has been done countless times before as I am sure others will point out.

The classic response (I'm sure someone will say) is to simply fill glass and empty glass into your mouth. Or something to that effect.

However, here are some tips from me:

1. I try to drink 3 glasses of water with each main meal = 9 glasses a day. Problem solved.
    2. If you are exercising, you need water! I am for at least half a litre to a litre. Equivalent to 3-4+ glasses.
    3. Its easier to drink water in summer. In winter, you can include some herbal teas such as green tea as water. But don't count coffee which tends to dehydrate.

As for the bathroom thing, that should hopefully clear up over time the more water you drink (sounds strange, I know)

Hope that helps. :)

As for some mfpers who claim to drink 20+ glasses a day, I gotta admit, they are dedicated to do so!
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I drink from a quart mason jar. Fill it with water and you have 32 ounces... and I use ice and a straw. I personally like to add some flavoring to it to help. Sometimes I make green tea iced tea, sometimes a packet of Arizona Iced Tea, sometimes a squirt of Mio. If you don't like it plain, liking the taste will help you drink more.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Might be weird, but I find it much easier to drink lots of water when I use a cup with a straw.
  • CSummers316
    Options
    I bought myself a 100 oz jug from a convenience store, fill it up with Ice Water, and drink on that throughout the night. That is in addition to two cups of coffee and one 24 oz Pepsi Max and a LifeWater for the vitamins. Generally I am still drinking anywhere from 5 - 6 glasses on non workout days, then on workout days I figure I drink another 4 - 5 glasses of water while working out.

Woooooooooooooooo!
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have a huge 64 fl. oz. water jug (GREEEN) and it reminds me throughout the day to finish it. I usually just finish one daily, but some days I may have another one or some of another. :) I find it easier to get through drinking more if you have something near you at all times to remind you.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have a huge 64 fl. oz. water jug (GREEEN) and it reminds me throughout the day to finish it. I usually just finish one daily, but some days I may have another one or some of another. :) I find it easier to get through drinking more if you have something near you at all times to remind you.

Btw, I got it at the dollar tree/ 99 cents store. So it's pretty cheap :)
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I got one of the starbucks cups with a straw. I find I drink wayyyyy more now that I use that all day.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    You honestly just get used to it!

I don't drink soda / juice / etc.

I add hot sauce to EVERYTHING.

If i drink coffee, I ALSO drink the same amount of water. And I love coffee.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    I go by the amount of 16oz water bottles I drink. Each one should count as 2 or so cups. I have one in the morning with my vitamines, 1 for lunch, another dinner, and some between and after workouts

Same here. I only buy bottled spring water so drinking 4 of those a a day is like 8 glasses of water.
  • sdlr4592
    Options
    I'm a huge water fan. A few tips on how you might be able to drink more are:

1.) Try making that the first thing you do in the morning. You know, get up and use the bathroom, and then gave a glass of water. Try to stomach at least a half a bottle first thing.

2.) Drink only water during your workouts. It helps refresh you better than anything else, especially if it's electrolyte-enhanced. Also, only allow yourself water after workouts.

3.) Try alternating drinks. With a meal, have a bottle of water and a glass of tea or juice or whatever you prefer handy. Alternate what you drink while you eat. For instance, take a few drink of water and then a drink of tea. That way, you're taking in more water than you would normally, but you still get the fix of what you like. (It sounds silly, but I do it sometimes.)

4.) You might consider using those Mio bottles or powder water enhancers. They come in all kinds of flavors and kind of rev-up your water. While on a diet, you might try the sugar-free ones. However, I wouldn't drink all of your water this way. Yes, it's a great way to add water to your diet, but plain water is technically more nutrious than water with a powder mix.

5.) Have water by your bedside. If you wake up thirsty in the middle of the night or you get a little parched before bed, you can reach for the water.

6.) Water helps keep you healthy and hydrated. People who have more water in their diets maintain a healthier weight (on average) than those who do not. They also have healthier colons. Water helps keep you from feeling fatigue. Experts recommend 4 bottles (or 64oz) or water daily. Just a few facts I thought you might find enteresting.

I hope some of my "tips" help. :)
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This past week my goal was to stop drinking as much tea and to up my water to 8 glasses a day. I have this purple cup that is 16 oz so i fill it up and i know its 2 cups down. Knowing that 4 of those throughout the day will get me to the 8 glasses a day. It helps because of thinking i need 4 purple cups instead of 8 glasses seems way more manageable. Going to the bathroom....yea im over it.....as i am writing i have to go again. Im glad to read it wont be such a problem after awhile.

I say add an extra glass a day until you meet your goal.
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like the trying to drink 3 glasses with each meal! Thats a good goal to reach for! I don't do sodas really, very occasionally for a treat but it's usually one coffee & the rest of the day is water...so you can see how I wonder why I can't get it all in lol
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have 3 water bottles in rotation in the fridge. I started off making sure I drink a small bottle of water a day then increased it every week. Now I drink about 2 litres of water a day, no problem.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Oh! I also buy the big gallons of spring water and stuff them with cut up lemon slices then put it in the fridge. It tastes so amazing.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I have a 24oz tumbler i keep full at all times, i find it's easier to drink lots of water with a straw instead of gulping it out of a glass or bottle.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom, and I keep a glass of water by me all day long. If I leave the house, I fill up my reusable water bottle, which is a little more than 2 cups. I try to log as soon as I fill a cup or bottle up, because I know if I fill it, I'm going to drink it. I've always been one to drink lots of water, even when I was drinking lots of soft drinks. You just have to make it a habit, and then it's second nature.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I use Mio in all my water... I think I'm now a Mio addict... but I get my water in... I've stopped drinking pop (almost all together... had some diet ginger ale when I was sick). The mio gives me that sweet/flavor I'm looking for. If you belong to a Sam's or know someone who does - you can get a 3 pack for a little over $9 (each bottle has ~24 servings).
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed at the people who drink gallons it seems each day...I feel like I am always filling my glass throughout the day but never seem to even manage to get the 8 cups in a day that they recommend...any tips to the big drinkers out there how you get so much in without also being in the bathroom 500 times per day? :smile:
    :drinker:
    I would drink about 2 glasses at most - water can be consumed by all the other food and liquids you have. Don't sweat it!